Dark Souls 3

Green_Lantern

Forum Moderator
Staff member
So with the game officially coming out tomorrow, who's going to be playing? Let's talk about it and stuff.

I don't want to buy it, but I long for it. I see myself wrapping my twisted, claw-like fingers around a copy of Dark Souls 3 very soon.

I have talked to several coworkers who are taking the day off for this game...I don't even. After Demons Souls I knew this series was too hardcore for me.

So I tried to preload the game but it bugged out, and I had to redownload all 17.3 gigs of the game again. After that little hiccup, I played several hours of the game. There's a few annoyances I have with the game:

SPOILERS (maybe)
1. It's kinda disappointing to teleport to the next area rather than walking to an area. Kinda makes the game world less seamless and connected. I spent about an hour trying to figure out what to do next after getting to a certain part.
END OF SPOILERS

2. I don't remember if mobs could hit you through walls in the previous games, but it's pretty apparent in DS3 especially when enemies with long reach go into a rage fit.

3. This is probably because I'm wearing headphones as I play but the game make sounds closer than they really are. For example, in the first part of the game, you would always hear someone breathing/moaning down your neck, but there's no one around..

Other than those annoyances the game is pretty fun. I thought it was pretty funny that the extra health via ember system is the same as the Demon's Souls human/hollow system but half-health/hollowed is now, "normal" and being full-health/human is now, "boosted".

My game save says I have 15 minutes so far while I was home over lunch, and I've already died like three times to the first boss. I'm kind of rusty.

I got Dark Souls III on PS4 (console peasant here), ended up rolling with a Knight. I've always preferred melee characters, although a ranged character with a bow and arrow sounds fun, given the game's upgraded bow mechanics.

I managed to beat the first boss on my first go, but it was really intimidating, especially during the second phase of combat. My advice is to stay close.

I'm not super rusty, given I played Bloodborne last year and recently finished Salt and Sanctuary, which is very similar to "Soulsborne" in philosophy. It is kind of hard playing such similar games but transitioning from 2D, to 3D.

And cyberjim2000,

2. I don't remember if mobs could hit you through walls in the previous games, but it's pretty apparent in DS3 especially when enemies with long reach go into a rage fit.

It sucks, but that's always been a thing in the Dark Souls games. I raged so many times because of stuff like that in DH1 and DH2. If you as the player hit walls, your weapon bounces off and your temporarily left vulnerable, but if enemies hit walls... well, they don't. Their weapons pass right through the walls and will hit you.

I rolled a mercenary (formerly a wanderer in DS1 and 2). I liked the whole worn out traveling veteran look and you get to have curved swords. CURVED SWORDS! And two of them at that. TWO CURVED SWORDS!!!

Craig, it's super annoying when you're shooting mobs from below with a bow and they rage swing then clip you even though you're a floor above them.

^ I agree, that's kinda bull shit.

What I also don't like is the enemy's auto track/follow. So they do a lunging attack at you, you dive roll to dodge out of the way, and while in the air, their bodies will turn and follow you, hitting you regardless.

I noticed in previous games, enemy arrows would curve and almost try and follow you. I'm unsure if that happens this time around?

Yeah those skeletal knight guys from both Dark Souls 1 and 2. They do a jumping attack (like Link from the Legend of Zelda), which if you try and dive roll out of the way, it can "curve" and they follow you. Frustrating.

Going to buy it next month anyway. Even though it's quite expensive and brings a lot of... pain. May be be this will be the first DS game i will complete as others appeared boring after playing a couple weeks, dunno why.

Didn't get a chance to play last night. There's a katana wielding enemy near the main hub at the beginning of the game that I really want to kill, because apparently you can get his sword which is supposed to be quite good.

I've heard magic and pyromancy aren't very good in this game, until about midway through. Let us know how you go.

I usually play melee characters, but I used some magic spells in Dark Souls 2. That Soul Spear spell or whatever it's called (the more powerful versions) were pretty OP.

I died for the first time last night. I accidentally pressed the circle button, did a backwards hop, and fell off a cliff and down to my demise.

I wasn't even fighting anybody. I died because of my own stupidity. Story of my life.

Master_Craig said:
I died for the first time last night. I accidentally pressed the circle button, did a backwards hop, and fell off a cliff and down to my demise.
This is actually the most frustrating part of the Souls games, for me. It always happens when you're just trying to back out of a menu.

I've been playing a lot of Dark Souls 3. I'm loving it so far, although the navigational structure seems different to the last two games.

I've killed three bosses so far. The third boss, I enlisted the help of a co-op phantom and we absolutely destroyed it.

I've also encountered a few PvP fights. Luckily I haven't died yet. My sword does a lot of damage so it's been very helpful in PvP. I rolled a knight, using the knight's original long sword, but upgraded with a raw gem and up to level plus two, so it does nearly 200 damage per strike.

Pissed me off in one part... I'm up to an area that's a PvP zone and I got invaded. My invader realized he couldn't beat me in a straight up fight, so he kept running away and trying to make me aggro enemies. I got annoyed with this, eventually walked away and I found some co-op summons. So I summoned a phantom and together, we killed the aggro'ing enemies and finally that lame guy.

It was so annoying. Basically trolled for twenty minutes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle