Board Censorship

Status
Not open for further replies.

maca2kx

Rookie
I've got no problem with blanking out curse words... well I have but I can live with it. It is annoying though that fuck is the same as shit and bitch can also be bitching because it can occasionally make for confusing sentences that are extremely ambiguous, especially when you take into account that this is an internet message board and few waste time on grammar so to clear things up would it be possible for TNO or someone to change the censorship to make fuck into f***, shit into s***, and bitch/bitching into b****/b*******?

Sam

2001.06.26.tree.big.jpg

How about people just increase the volume of their vocabulary to feature words that can substitute for such vulgarity?

Dark_Legacy said:
How about people just increase the volume of their vocabulary to feature words that can substitute for such vulgarity?

We both know that's not going to happen.

Sam

I think the board censorship should be taken away all together. The minimum age to join is 13, some people younger than 13 can still join but the minimum age is supposed to be 13. Assuming everyone follows this rule then you can also assume everyone who joins will at least be in middle school and that's about the age when kids start learning curses and they will most likely be familiar with them. I remember when I first joined on my old account I was around 12-13 years of age and I was already aquainted with curse words.

i'll say it again - the censorship is not to protect the kiddies. it's to protect my delicate sensibilities from the little foul-mouthed monsters.

Well if that's the case couldn't you just turn it off just to see how it goes? I believe no one would abuse it. I mean, people can curse without censors as it is. Just a little bold or underline letter takes away the censor and people don't abuse that.

Like Duke said, the censor isn't there to ban you from using the right vocabulary to properly express your mood. There's nothing quite as effective as a good fucking swear word at the right place to really get your point across. The censor is there to prevent the kiddies from getting a case of the cussing diahrea and turning the entire message board into a fucking piece of shit place where every fucking post leads to fucking annoying motherfuckers bitching like cunts.

Hellfire1014 said:
If you're that worried bypass it.

By putting a underline, italics, or bold....

How many times have you seen me swear Hellfire? I'm not mentioning this because it's preventing me from affecting dUKE's delicate sensibilities, I'm mentioning it because it's a pain trying to read curse riddled posts from others.

Also, I agree dUKE, 'cuddlewuddles' was much better than the detached asterisks.

Sam

GhostTrip said:
dUKE said:
i kind of liked it when crude language was replaced with cuddlewuddles

Yeah I miss that!!!

agreed!

I think the cealnsorship definaty needs to stay. Sure a majority of us are mature enough to not go off our heads and constantly curse BUT you will always ALWAYS find some dickhead who thinks he is just so cool for being able to swear excessivly. We see it in chat all the time.

dUKE said:
i kind of liked it when crude language was replaced with cuddlewuddles

I agree. And twaat was replaced with fuzzy-wuzzy or something. And n*gger was replaced with different-colored-friend-of-mine or something.

I've always believe that language censorship actually draws more attention to the words it's censoring. Seriously, by replacing a word with a series of asterisks they stick out like a sore thumb, whereas I bet if swear words weren't censored here, half of the people wouldn't even notice them. But by replacing swear words with stuff like ******, it just stands out so much more than if it was uncensored IMO.

Of course this isn't solely a problem with this message board, it's a problem with the whole of society, who feel that freedom of speech needs to be tampered with in order not to offend anybody. Swear words initally came from the dead Anglo Saxon language, so if you think about it, by censoring swear words you also censor a part of history.

And besides, the only reason people excesessively swear is because the words are taboo, if swear words were treated like any other word no immature 13 year old kid would use them excessively. But because they ARE taboo the 13 year old will think he's being rebellious and cool by swearing a lot. So we only have ourselves to blame really.#

OK I'm going way off the subject here, and I understand these boards need censorship so that the overbearing soccer moms of the world don't start sending letter bombs to Game Revolution HQ. But do you think we could at last have a censoring system which allows me to type cocktail or cockroach without them becoming cocktail or cockroach?

Cuddles-wuddles was about as funny as a terminal illness.

Agreed, it would be easier if the first letter was displayed, but only by nanoseconds, as the context would clearly reveal the word in place.

malakian said:
Cuddles-wuddles was about as funny as a terminal illness.

Agreed, it would be easier if the first letter was displayed, but only by nanoseconds, as the context would clearly reveal the word in place.

Take a look at this:

MrHimashi said:
Well, my friend had a Nvidia geforce 7300 gs .. he only charged me 10 bucks for it.. so i took that, and **** yes all of my games run ****

What would you think the context is for the last word? Do his games run badly?

Well no, despite the fact that it looks like he said his games run shit they don't as shown by his next post when questioned by mC:

MrHimashi said:
No.. its good..

they run totally awesome now :)

And of course here is the link to the topic in question, the first post is at the bottom of the page and the subsequent ones are at the top of page 2.

Most of the time it is simple enough to figure out what they mean but if words are missed out as is common here it can lead to an ambiguous sentence just like that.

Sam

That's a anomalous occurance for sure, but yeah I see where you're coming from.

I personally don't see how duke wouldn't be able to tolerate the first letter of each cuss word seen as I know how a certain cigarette-less someone swears like a sailor sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod