Better than bad, it's good!

used44

Forum Moderator
Staff member
What games that are universally panned do you secretly have love for? This is different than the "underrated games" topic because that is about games that are merely overlooked by most people; I want to know about games that are legitimately terrible but, for whatever reason, you enjoyed playing more than anybody else. Please leave a paragraph of description to avoid this being a spam topic.

I have kind of an odd one to start:

iron-man-20071025032619185-000.jpg

Iron Man (the 2008 Xbox 360 game based on the movie)

Yes, the combat is clunky and the FMVs are downright laughable but I think the flight mechanics are superb. This, mixed with the interesting (at first) level design, deep upgrading, and unlockable suits make for a pretty darn fun game if you're in the mood for an arcade flight/shooter.

While it's been pretty well received, Deadly Premonition DEFINITELY deserves a mention.

The combat is mediocre. The story is pretty good, but nothing special. Most of the game feels old as hell...

But it's a bunch of bad components that are all put together in a way so that it's amazing. It's... hard to explain.

I really wish I could have got more into Deadly Premonition! I tried, sorta. I think part of the problem for me personally was that it is survival horror (kind of, or whatever) and horror games make me uncomfortable anyway so Deadly Premonition was just, like, double uncomfortable.

I know everyone else would say that Mirror's Edge is that title for me, but fuck those people they don't know anything.

Also, where the fuck has Green_Lantern been?

Well, I’m not sure this fit’s the topic and I don’t want to be accused of Spamming, but I’m going to share anyway. My it’s so bad it’s good isn’t one game, but an entire genre or subgenre in the casual class of games, hidden object games. Yes, games like Mystery Case Files: Huntsville by Big Fish Games. I don’t know why I like them, maybe it’s the instant gratification they give, I don’t know. I’ve played and beaten over a dozen in the past 3 years. I know they’re stupid. I know they’re aimed at little kids and Grandmas. They are fun, and I enjoy them. I also know that they would never pull me away from Skyrim or Diablo III, but as a light little easy to beat game that can kill a day or two they fill the bill.

The only game I can think of is Splatterhouse. Graphics are so-so, voice acting sucks and the story is laughably bad. But damn it, I liked it anyway.

Mirror's Edge is pretty badass.

Hmm....Games that get a bad rap....Or receive less than adequate attention...

Omikron The Nomad Soul!

Oh and Tiny...I'm right there with you. I like Mystery Case Files games :(. And thanks for putting me in your sig!

Honestly, I can't think of any bad games I like. I could go look at my gaming collection but I'm too lazy to go upstairs.

Lethean said:
Oh and Tiny...I'm right there with you. I like Mystery Case Files games :(. And thanks for putting me in your sig!
I thought it was funny and wanted a sig from one of the cool kids. 8)

lokness said:
Mirrors Edge was well received....

But anyways for me it would have to be
Auto_Modellista_Coverart.png

Now THAT was something that was totally unique. I'm surprised that we've never seen anything else like it.

And it all started with Jet Grind Radio on the Dreamcast.

Edit: I've told people before that the memory card was like a tiny Gameboy, and they thought I was a liar.

Also got into a drunken argument with a fat boy who claimed that N64 had better graphics.

KoTOR II. I thought it was a pretty good game just felt like a rushed game.

Lethean said:
Omikron The Nomad Soul!

Quantum Dream were planning on making a sequel but it's in development hell last I heard.

Tony Hawks Underground 2. Everybody seems to hate on this and like the first one, but I really enjoyed it and have played it hundreds of hours single and multiplayer.

Jurassic Park Trespasser would be another one. It had it's flaws, but I loved it. I would really like a sequel.

I played the Iron Man demo and liked it a lot, handled terribly but it was fun and that's all that matters.

For me the games I would say one was liked by critics and the other was kinda liked but I found the majority of the people I talked to thought these games were stupid. Gun and X-men Origins Wolverine. I know Gun was well received but everyone I knew hated it, I mean sure it kind of started slow but if you got to the end it was well worth the hours put into it. And wolverine was an amazing rental, didn't think I would like it at all and when I told people that it was at least enjoyable no one believed me since it was a movie game.

These games were more socially panned by gamers I knew at the time rather than by critics

One game I totally forgot to mention is The Simpson Game. Played it through to the 100 % mark. All those collectibles in the town. It's also really fun in co-op.

danielrbischoff said:
^i wanted to like it because I love the simpsons but goddamit I couldnt keep playing the game.

I didn't find any particular problem with it. I didn't even have any trouble with the infamous camera. I checked my save, it has over 50 hours played... wtf is wrong with me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle