Best/Worst Animal Friends in Gaming

WickedLiquid

Regular
Anyone have any memorable animal companions in gaming?

My Fave
Epona
Link_and_Epona.jpg

My least fave
That asshole dog from Duck Hunt
tumblr_m7do8m3Mjx1qz4d2k.jpg

Most favorite
Persona 3 - Koromaru
Truth be told, I just love dogs in games. Whether it's the dog in Dragon Age: Origins, Fallout 3, Duck Hunt. But this dog takes the cake.

2005255782383-550x.jpg

Least favorite
Mass Effect - Fish
Why do you always die?!?!?!?
dead_fish.jpg

Dang...where do I start? I'll just name some off the tip of my head.

Sparx the dragonfly - Spryo
Dogmeat the dog - Fallout 3
Barkspawn the dog - Dragon Age Origins
Shadowmere the demon horse- Oblivion
Polar the polarbear - Crash Bandicoot
Yoshi the dinosaur- Super Mario World

I'm keeping Pokemon and Digimon out of this, for obvious reasons.

Having trouble thinking of least favorites, at the moment. That stupid dog from Duck Hunt is probably the tops.

Oops! Almost forgot my very favoritest animal in a video game ever.

Remember the sheer badassery of John Marston? Remember that moment when you were just like John is the most manly cowboy since...ever? Seriously, nothing you do could make him not a badass. Even...let's say for argument sake...putting him in his underwear. He'd still be the coolest cowboy ever. Cooler than Cowboy Curtis. He'd just be a cool cowboy kickin' it in his long johns. But what else could make it just that little bit better/more ridiculous and yet still badass?

A unicorn. Behold the splendor.

redgf.gif

Best:
Argo (Shadow of the Colossus):
agro2.jpg

He's your only friend in the Forbidden Lands. It feels reassuring to have him with you during the colossi fight. I remembered trying to take out the Desert Dragon and looking down to see Argo racing along side it trying to catch up. What an animal.

Worst:
Dogmeat (the original Fallouts)
Vault_Dweller_Dogmeat.png

He's not that bad in Fallout 3 especially if you install a dog pack mod. However, in the original Fallouts unless you save scumm, he's going to die, it's going to be bloody, and it's going to be heartbreaking.

Least Favorite: Tom Nook of Animal Crossing

You step into town, fresh from your journey and eager to start your new life in a town of animals when up waltzes the crimelord, persuading you to buy a rundown shack of a hovel and instead of it as a gift, there's a ginormous price tag for the one storey 8x8 cardboard box you now call a home. He says "Don't worry, pay it off whenever" but what he really means is "Pay it off quick or I'll break your knees". The guy owns the town! He wouldn't even upgrade his store to get the good shit until you buy enough from him! And once you do pay off your blood debt, he upgrades your home while you're sleeping and creates a new debt for it! The cycle only ends when you pay off your debt for a three-tier crib with multiple rooms and getting an out-of-towner to buy some Nook goods for the last level of his crime franchise.

And in Wild World, he conscripts his nephews as his coon goons, you just know they wack people at night.

Tom-nook.jpg

Everything that my kindred spirit cyberjim said is exactly what I think. I never have felt as strong of an emotional connection to any game companion, animal or not, as I did with Agro. That horse was there for you, man. Dogmeat in Fallout 1 is the worst, not because he's a bad doggie, but because he's a stupid one who, before you can react, will run right up into a group of bad guys, bite one of them a few times for 1-3 damage each, and then get lit up by a burst of machine gun fire. Whether it's by your enemies or your own party, that dog is going to be violently killed.

In Animal Crossing, I remembered one animal asked me to find something then I'd spend all day looking for the item only to find it the next day in the garbage bin.

Haha. I was waiting for the Tom Nook hatred. Well done, HK.

But you can't think of the Animal Crossing townsfolk as animals, oddly, or else it gets too weird. They're really more like people. In fact, all the anthropomorphized animals mentioned so far shouldn't be included.

Agro is a great choice. Another personal favorite of mine is Poppy.

SS_Galford.png

Yeah Daniel, you werent first. YOU CANT FUCKING REPEAT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE SAY!!

What about the dog you get in Fallout: New Vegas. I think his name is Rex, but not sure. Anyways leader of those Elvis impersonators gives him to you. I like that dog, because he's part cyborg.

Does Shadowmere count?
Because Shadowmere will fuck your shit up all day and all night long, and finish the main quest without you if necessary. Wouldn't even be a challenge.

Shadowmere is a boss. I never did the Dark Brotherhood quest, but it was the first thing by brother did so he had Shadowmere with him for the entire game. He would jump off a cliff or stomp an old witch to death without a moment's hesitation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod