Best of 2008 Topic!

I was so surprised that they put No More Heroes on the list (even if it was #10). I didn't think you guys would put any Wii games on there. Also, I'm happy to see you're not the same as every other site/magazine and making GTA IV #1.

I didn't really like the first one, and don't plan to get the second, but I was still surprised Gears of War 2 wasn't on the list. Even if someone gave me a PS3 I wouldn't get LBP, but it's just not my kind of game. Sad to see Fallout 3 not get the nod though for #1.

I think it's perfect.

The only thing I am sadly missing is my own two personal picks, Boom Blox and De Blob for the Wii, but other than that I think it's an accurate list. Little Big Planet deserves the number 1 spot, Fallout 3 deserves number 2, and MGS deserves number 3. GTA is right where it is, and the only caveat is Saints Row 2, which I would of personally put over GTA, but that's me.

Thank you, guys, for at least giving me a sense of pride as a gamer, knowing not everything is owned by the developer dollars. Also, don't worry about people saying you went soft, this happened to be a good year for video games, something that really was lacking last year because of the over-hype for most of the titles that came out. Yeah it happened this year too, but it was less noticeable as only a few titles were not up to par.

Keep on writing.

LinksOcarina said:
and the only caveat is Saints Row 2, which I would of personally put over GTA, but that's me.
I could see it. Also, Fallout and MGS are interchangeable. Both are pretty equal quality in my mind. Fallout would be higher if it wasn't so damn anti-climactic at the end. Seriously, it felt like driving 60 mph into a brick wall made of bricks.

I personally think GTAIV should be right behind Fallout 3, which should be right behind Little Big Planet, which should be right behind Metal Gear Solid 4. I'll probably be castrated for that last comment, but as much as I think Little Big Planet is the future of gaming, it could be improved in some key respects.

I'm glad Gears of War is not on the list. These "atmospheric shooters" are finally getting the treatment they deserve.

GTAIV is extremely atmospheric in a very polished, subtle way, i.e. there's no "look! a comrade was just impaled by a gigantic enemy right in front of your eyes...IN-GAME!" horseshit.

So for the most part, I thought it was perfect.

I liked the list personally. I agree with No More Heroes not deserving to be there, it was kind of a let down after all the hype.

Ha, I remember thinking if any Wii game should be up there, it should be SSMB!...But then I remembered, it came out in 07 for you early American bastards and your one language!

I think it was more of good game that got a wink and a nod, you know? It was just there and went. No real hype over it, but no one really bashed it too much.

some good comments, and it was tough only haveing one editor's pick. i would have personally also liked to give a nod to civilization revolution, which i'm still playing.

Why bother with Civ on a console. There's not way it beats Civ IV on the PC. I suppose if it actually succeeds as a RTS on a console thats a pretty big feat. I don't see why developers are sharing the RTS fun with console people though. Will they really feel good about taking money for an RTS from their kind?

Same here Duke, I wanted to split my pick with Fable II. All the MMORPG elements it brought into an action game, like emoting to NPC characters for bonus points... I hope developers start riffing on that stuff immediately...

...but we'll see!

Duke_Ferris said:
some good comments, and it was tough only haveing one editor's pick. i would have personally also liked to give a nod to civilization revolution, which i'm still playing.

That's what Honourable Mentions are for!

Lentium said:
I'm surprised no mention of dead space
If I had two picks for Editor's Choice, Dead Space would absolutely have been one of them. I'll be sure to buy a round of drinks in its honor next time I'm at the bar. :wink:

Just for your interest, here is the rest of the games that were voted for but didn't collect enough votes to make the Top 10 (in alphabetical order):

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Boom Blox
Burnout Paradise
Castle Crashers
Dead Space
Fable II
Far Cry 2
Gears of War 2
Geometry Wars 2
God of War: Chains of Olympus
Lost Odyssey
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
Mirror's Edge
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
Spore
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Tales of Vesperia
Valkyria Chronicles
Wario Land: Shake It

As for GTA IV, I recently started with a new playthrough. This time I am not bothering myself with keeping my friends happy all the time, nor finding every stunts/pigeons there is in the city. I find that I am enjoying the game so much more now that I'm not stat-whoring the hell out of this game. GTA IV truly deserves to be on that list from a story and gameplay perspective, maybe even a bit higher placed than it is now.

Oh, and LBP on no. 1? I'm not exactly what you call a Sony fan, but I played this game over at my brother in law... Damn this exclusive, it's so much fun! Catchy music, hilarious character design and unlimited replay value. Top notch! It also does not hurt gameplay that the PS3 comes with *free* multiplayer capability, something the 360 lacks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod