Batman: Arkham Origins

Master_Craig

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Batman: Arkham Origins came out yesterday here in Australia so I'm guessing everyone else has it by now as well. What do you think of it so far?

I've only got one major issue with the game and to be honest, I'm not sure if it's my PS3, the disc, or just the game itself. Basically, I find that when I've been travelling around Gotham for a certain period of time, the game begins to slow down, to the point where it just becomes unbearably slow and almost unplayable.

Has anyone else experienced this issue so far?

I had it preordered for a long time but recently cancelled it just because I had so many gaming expenses this fall haha.

I still really want to play it though. And I actually want to play Blackgate also. Too bad the Vita's on-demand marketplace has been a total failure. If it was up there I probably would have already impulse purchased it by now.

Yeah, I had it in my hand yesterday, but decided against it too. I think I'm done purchasing games for the rest of the year.

I'll get it for christmas. This year has been my most frugal, since the only games I got were on stream sales and GTAV. Thank god I borrowed B:I and The Last of Us.

Still, maybe I'll impulse buy it or pray a friend gets it.

Game is fantastic, the multiplayer is a fun little side-note boss battles are interesting and unique and the only time I've had problems with performance is during the 1 vs 100 challenge map. It occasionally dropped frames depending on where I was.

Also, finally glad they truly had a skill progression system for abilities/gadgets/armor ...etc Made the challenge mode useful for obtaining exp. Indifferent about the checklist unlocking system though.

It looks like (for the PS3 version) that when you use fast travel, the game will start to slow down and chug to the point where it nearly becomes unplayable. However, if you fast travel to the Batcave THEN fast travel to your desired location, you won't suffer this frame rate drop.

That being said, the problem has been confirmed by the developer and they are making a patch to rectify the issue soon.

So... i tried it on my friends computer and so far i found out that this game hates keyboards. Like seriously, i have to press "Q" and "E" to select the items in the menu... instead of you know clicking on them.

But aye, fun game and all but i got some huh... moments that made me raise my eyebrow. Make that several moments. I'll masked it as spoilers. Be reminded i only played the game for like two hours.

[ When batman dropped the arm dealer guy from a 5 story building and feel on a christmas tree... HOW THE HECK DID HE SURVIVE IN ONE PIECE! And why does batman justify beating up cops cause "you don't understand Alfred, they are corrupt!" before he even knew they were interested in the bounty? Even if they are corrupt, they are still people who swore the oath and must be punished by the law od the county, not by a judge dredd wanabe in a bat suit. Why does he then ask Alfred to tell the cops where he tied up the criminals if he knew how corrupt they are? And while we are at it, what's up with Batman beating up perps during their interrogation before he even asks a question? I thought Batman respect the thug's health hence why he used non-lethal weapons? He borderlines ignores the Geneva convention because of some principle that's not very clear to the player, i know that part is true since he now threatens criminals with death if they don't speak and i am not talking about the famous dangling to the roof tops, i'm talking a knife to the throat! How come Anarchy guy gives you the "choice" to let the bomb blow up or turn it off yourself but the screen goes to game over if you let the timer go out, signifying there wasn't even a choice in the first place? Is it cause he's a bad guy or that trusting a left wing guy is against batman's philosophy? If its the latter, why even give the choices? Why is every cops you see in game corrupt cept for the plot driven guys? Why does Barbara immediately trust the big bulky armored guy who just beaten up 40 people right before her eyes for no reason but apparently she knows what cause batman to fight crime off screen? Wasn't it apparent to the police force that Death mask body was fake since all the evidence says the body existed 5 days ago... when he just killed the warden the day just before the murder in front of everyone even a freakin' journalist? Even if the corrupt cops tried to hide the evidence, why was it easy for Batman to find them? And what about the good cops, couldn't they tell the paradox of a 5 days old body of a wanted criminal the day just before? Heck, Why does captain Gordon still trust the corrupt cops when there is blood splattered ON THE FLOOR OF THE POLICE HQ! And the biggest one... why does NO ONE make the connection of Batman being bruce wayne after mister playboy decide to cancel his X-mas party right after hell breakin' loose? Notice also that bruce wayne was last seen on T.V. unshaved... just like Batman. Are the people of Gotham dumber then usual? ]

Look, i understand this is batman, the guy whose superpower is that he's always right ("batman! how did you know the guy you just punched in the middle of the street was a criminal?" "Because I DO!") but there is like so many inconsistency in the plot of the game that you don't feel you are being driven into, but rather driven by it. I feel the only way for me to enjoy being batman in this game is to leave my brain at the door before i launch the game. This game isn't me being batman, it's watching a guy acting like batman.

So aye, good game but not the game i expected. Still, i'll try to finish the game and see how it ends.

And the fight with Slade was a B****!

I get'cha points, Lien. Fair call on all of them. I'll write down my complaints too but I'll do the spoiler mask like you did.

At the beginning when Batman is beating up all the corrupt cops, Alfred tells him off and Batman tries to justify himself by saying they're corrupt and they're in his way. This is showing Batman's inexperience at the time - and his arrogance, because he thinks he can do all of this stuff by himself when near the end of the game, he discovers he can't and he needs help. Despite all the corrupt cops, they still have a duty to do so when they're called upon by Gordon, they do it, but they don't like it. I don't mean to sound contradicting but, I understand your point about this, however I do disagree because of my explained reason.

I found the cameo with Barbara Gordon and her "Maybe we can team up" one day speech really dumb. To me, that was just blatant and poor fan service. It is funny how she immediately trusts the big, dark armoured guy, despite the fact he's broken into the police station and beaten up dozens of cops.

Regarding the corrupt cops... I thought it was dumb about how desperately the game tried to make you dislike these guys and say "Hey, even though they're cops, they're BAD cops" you know? Example - in the police station you enter a room with three cops watching a TV. Listen to them, they're watching a video about homeless people fighting each other ("bum fights") and they're laughing, saying how they hate homeless people. This to me wreaks of desperation of the game trying to tell you that these guys are bad cops and it's apparently okay to cripple them.

And the blood splatter in the police HQ? That was dumb too. Another obvious "Hey, these are bad cops!" flag. I agree, it's funny Gordon trusts these men since they're so obviously bad and corrupt, but I guess it's similar to the movies - he's a good man, trying to do the right thing, wanting to make a difference and is working the best he can with what he's got. Still, I understand and agree with your points.

I certainly agree with your points about Anarky. There was no "choice" there at all, but to be fair... this isn't Mass Effect or anything like that. The storyline is already determined, there's no choice about it, it's A to B, because in this story (like the Arkham games before it) Batman's choice has already been made. I can't imagine Batman letting these bombs go off, with the potential of innocent people to die.

As for Batman's brutal methods of interrogation... yeah, he does that. In The Dark Knight Returns, Batman breaks a guy's leg to get him to talk. Batman also later basically tells the same dude that he's bleeding to death and only he (Batman) can save him - basically Batman's saying "If you don't talk I'll leave you here to die". In the Christopher Nolan movies, Batman regularly beats up guys while interrogating them... he did this to Joker, Bane and he dropped that crime lord off a balcony and broke his ankles. In all honesty - it depends on the writer(s) about Batman's interrogation methods, which makes the character Batman at times inconsistent and even hypocritical. Some people believe because of Batman's brutality, they believe Batman may be sadistic towards criminals. In reality, he tries to use fear - and even pain, to get information. As for dropping that guy off the building into the Christmas tree? Yeah. That was too far. I would have thought Batman would have left him hanging on a cable or something, you know? I don't recall Batman being this violent in Arkham Asylum or City however, again... I raise the point of Batman's inexperience, compared to the previous games. I hope that makes sense?

As much as I love Batman, whenever I read Batman comics or other related comics (e.g. Nightwing, Red Robin etc.) or if I play the Batman games... it's definitely a "leave your brain at the door" scenario.

Batman: Arkham Origins is a good game. However in saying that, just because it's bigger than the previous games does not make it better. I think Arkham City is probably the best Arkham game out. Unfortunately, Origins lacked the same "wow" factor as City did in terms of storyline and gameplay.

Also, the fight with Deathstroke (Slade)? Yeah, pain in the arse... but once you figure him out, he's very easy. I'm not looking forward to fighting him on New Game Plus mode though...

I thought I was sorta down on the game... then I read what Lien had to say after only two hours. I think this has been the most predictable release all year and a WB Montreal dev even admitted that people had this thought "oh they're not Rocksteady, they won't do a good job." It's not that bad. The game is certainly playable and can be a lot of fun but it feels forced but some suit.

If you like Batman, get it immediately. If you don't like Batman, what the fuck is wrong with you?

So is it *almost* as good as Arkham Asylum? I gather so far this is the weakest entry in the series. Nothing really tells me why save for a weak multiplayer and some gameplay issues.

I'll probably wait for a price drop and buy it then already bought GTA V and Kingdom Heart remix so I'll be good for awhile

Lethean said:
So is it *almost* as good as Arkham Asylum? I gather so far this is the weakest entry in the series. Nothing really tells me why save for a weak multiplayer and some gameplay issues.
I'd probably put it even with Asylum now because I don't know if I could go back to Batman without the gliding/grappling mechanics... though the story and writing were better in Asylum. Hard to say really. I think combat was harder in Asylum too.

I know a lot of people don't like Jim Sterling, but his Origin review pretty much voiced what I was thinking.

I'm really only drawn to it because Batman.

danielrbischoff said:
I'd probably put it even with Asylum now because I don't know if I could go back to Batman without the gliding/grappling mechanics... though the story and writing were better in Asylum. Hard to say really. I think combat was harder in Asylum too.

I agree with Daniel. In terms of gameplay, Origins is better because it's got more mechanics and has just evolved more. However in terms of storyline and writing, I think Origins is the weakest of the Arkham games so far, Asylum definitely has a better story and better writing than Origins.

Also like Daniel said, I don't think I could go back to Asylum without the new gliding and grappling mechanics. Origins also has much better boss fights than Asylum.

People constantly throws stones at sterling for being a douchy egotistic guy but i actually greatly enjoy his articles and videos. I laugh at some points i disagree with, but i end up mostly nodding and agreeing with him.

Anyway, reading his article after the little i played the game, he does bring out some things that was giving me a headache in the game without me noticing it.

Specifically, Penguin's henchwomen's "accents". Jim said it best "[the accent] is so badly written and terribly acted that I felt almost offended."
And may i remind you that i am french, i usually encourage bad stereotype of British people left and right, not being disgusted by it!

Seriously, the subtitles featured the FREAKING MISSING CONSONANTS! That's not how accents works!

So i still plan to finish it when i visit my friend's place but till then, the GR score of 3.5 is fitting.

Bretimus_v2 said:
I felt Asylum put a little more focus on the toys. City focus more on the fighting abilities and gliding.
Very true. And truly the method by which Batman obtains the toys... "come back to the Batcave, sir" (not to mention the glitch that I encountered which I described in the comments) is terrible too.

If it was ever as boring as "I'll deliver them to you sir" because Batman couldn't leave Arkham, then Alfred planted them conveniently in a path or it was an exceptionally cool moment like when Robin shows up.

Played about 40 minutes of it, maybe a little less. It's enjoyable so far. Feels kind of like a B grade Batman. The opening cutscene was cheesy compared to Asylum and City and so far the game itself just doesn't feel as polished. I don't like the interface for upgrades and the guy voicing Batman kind of sounds like Aaron Eckhart. Not that that's a bad thing. Plus the first boss was one of the most recognizable and he was an easy fight. What's up with that?!

I managed to get 100% on the Riddler, or "Enigma" data thingos and I haven't played the game since. I tried to play multiplayer but... I swear no one ever plays. I join a game, I might find one or two people in the lobby, no one else joins, people lose patience and just leave. :/

I'm also a little frustrated because foolishly, I bought a season pass for Arkham Origins (my first ever season pass for any game) and no DLC has been released since well uh, release. I'm still waiting for the "Play as Bruce Wayne as a ninja" DLC or whatever is coming out. I hope it comes out soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod