Audio books

used44

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Anybody ever listen to audio books? I listen to a crapload of podcasts, so i think maybe I'll give audio books a try. Amazon is offering two free books if you start a trial with Audible, but so far all the samples I've listened to have put me off.

I have no trouble finding books I'm interested in, but I fear the readings would put me to sleep. The voices are either so slow and quiet that it reminds me of a baby's cartoon, or doing goofy voices which reminds me of a baby's cartoon. I've found a few exceptions, usually those read by the author, but these are mostly books I've already read.

Any recommendations for good books with maybe more dynamic readings?

I listen to good audio books on long car rides. Though sometimes I just do the poorly recorded free ones.

I found a free Sherlock Holmes one that was really well done, and each one was about an hour long. So that was pretty great.

Audiobooks are not for me, I think. If I know the person reading it, that's different -- I have listened to friends read books to me, and it's wonderful. I also read to them, although I feel that I'm not as good at it. Reading a book aloud for the first time is also interesting because of course you say things in completely the wrong way all the time.

I have listened to podcasts before (maybe only one or two), but regular live radio programs catch my attention more.

A friend of mine is a huge LOTR geek and had an audio book for The Children of Hurin narrated by Christopher Lee.

I gave it a listen and it was pretty cool... Or nerdy... Whatever.

I used to work on a factory floor and got through a few John Grisham books while I was working. If you've got a job where you can do it and be "somewhere else" mentally - audio books are awesome!

I never understood how people can read 350+ pages in a day and say they "enjoyed" the book, when the audio book read is like 25+ hours non-stop at a casual pace.

I've always wanted to listen to educational/instructional kinda audio books while I do my morning walks... hoping for a sorta, "learn while I exercise" thing.

UrbanMasque said:
I never understood how people can read 350+ pages in a day and say they "enjoyed" the book, when the audio book read is like 25+ hours non-stop at a casual pace.

What are you saying is weird about that? Is it that reading seems rushed?

Sightless said:
UrbanMasque said:

What are you saying is weird about that? Is it that reading seems rushed?

Totally rushed. Its like its a videogame speed run. You can't honestly take in all the content because you're glossing over minor details that the author took the time to write out in order to build a world for his work. Sorry, its more upsetting than it should be because I know people who brag about that kind of stuff (maybe just a bay area thing also). Read a passage and take some time to think about whats being said. :evil:

Hummm... I feel like you're underestimating how easily reading takes place in a lot of people's brains. I remember reading through 700-page Harry Potter books in a single day/night. I promise I didn't skip over everything, and I got very very upset when interrupted because I was so immersed. I also got very very upset because I was so immersed, and I felt so affected by certain events in the story.

Maybe you mean something more like speedreading, where people read 350+ pages in like an hour. Well, I mean "speedreading" in a casual way -- people who more or less do skim a thing and understand the words without making deeper associations, just to say they did it. I could see that with non-fiction works, but not sure it's really doable with fiction.

This reminds me of that thing... thingy... where your eyes don't have to make saccades, or other movement, because a particular focus allows you to continually read words that are flashed there. I could never in my life see that working for fiction, because of pacing.

Anyway, all that to say that I think the numbers you gave there are reasonable for reading, as I feel like I've done it without feeling rushed. Maybe excited, but also willingly gathering as much information as I possibly can from reading.

I've never really been into reading so I can't say much, but my oldest brother is quite similar, Sightless. He's very much into reading as you are and can often read big novels in a day or two. When interrupted, he would usually get quite annoyed, because he was just so into it.

My older brother was a speed reader. He would read in a day what took me a week. When we would read together he would usually slam a book in a night at the end of my week worth of reading and still have no less enjoyment or comprehension. He simply could absorb the text at a much quicker rate.

CAM01350.jpg

CAM01351.jpg

These are the only audio books I can find. Although, the Abbott and Costello tapes are recorded from the TV show. Wish I had more.

Longo_2_guns said:
I listen to good audio books on long car rides. Though sometimes I just do the poorly recorded free ones.

I found a free Sherlock Holmes one that was really well done, and each one was about an hour long. So that was pretty great.

Do you know the actors or the name of the production? I'd love a good Holmes audio book.

Remember listening to Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee on audio. Got depressing but a worthwhile listen.

librivox is doing awesome stuff. I have a couple friends who have read for that project, and I'm a little envious.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod