As shooters get increasingly more complicated...

Diabolus

Rookie
I find it refreshing to go back and play a game like Quake 4. I can carry 10 guns, and the only thing I have to worry about is blasting everything that jumps out in front of me. Just like the good old days. :)

Yeah, i never knew the days when every shooter was about blasting some imps with a BFG, since i was born in '94. But, i do play DOOM now.

You could do that in Resistance, which I liked. Then they took that out for the second game, and I was sad.

I know what you mean. Either the saying about teaching an old dog new tricks is true or I'm just not giving some new games enough of a chance.

If it isn't a control scheme that seems highly off putting (at first anyways) it's the irritating fact that some games will only let you carry two guns. I mean, might as well cut off my balls and slap Longo in my name if I only get to carry two guns maximum.

My name is more because I dual wield. Yeah, thats it...

But what makes me laugh is that in games like Halo he puts one gun on his back and can easily switch it for another gun with both of them on his back for a second. Then, he can put a smaller gun at his waist, giving him the ability to hold 3 guns. Then why can't I? You can hold 3 guns in Killzone, why not Halo?

I know! It's the lamest thing ever. Even the four guns in GoW I can kind of see.

I mean, a real soldier will carry his standard issue sidearm and combat rifle. But this isn't America's Army! It's a game about fucking aliens, a (pretty much)super human marine and gravity defying stunts! Why is the only realistic thing the ability to carry just two fucking guns?

On a keyboard you can press the number-pad to select from your armory of guns, Doom-style. But on a pad, you're usually forced to click through some inventory wheel or count the number of button presses or some shit so being able to hold ten guns gets kind of lame. Plus there are lots of cool multiplayer strategies to limiting the two guns, such as fighting for control of the certain, sacrificing power for accuracy, or vise versa, dual wielding, etc.

I was playing Far Cry 2 yesterday, and the problem with games nowadays is they're becoming wayyyy too 'real'. Seriously, I had to jump out of my little car every time I grazed a tree because the engine started smoking. And then with Oblivion introducing weapon degeneration to the mainstream, it seems like games are losing some of their fun to be more real. Isn't it supposed to be a getaway from real life? There's becoming less and less of fantasy.

Thats why Call of Duty is so much fun, you can run around and shoot Nazis in the face and just hide behind a wall a few seconds before you run out and do it again.

AMANIAC said:
Yeah, i never knew the days when every shooter was about blasting some imps with a BFG, since i was born in '94. But, i do play DOOM now.

Do you have a 360? You should get Quake 4. It comes with Quake 2, so you're really getting two games.

Quake is basically Doom(both made by Id). The only difference is, you are splattering mutated cyborg aliens instead of demons.

I really don't want realism, i want to be able to blast people 10ft with a shotgun. I want to be able to hold 10 guns, i want people's heads to explode, i want ridiculously massive explosions that only i can survive, i want to dual wield bazookas, i want - i want....fun.

^Oh and i do have a 360, so i'll probably check that out.

sure having overpowered weapons while duel weilding them (tyvm Goldeneye) is all good times.But it does tend to make things a little too easy for my tastes. Personaly my weapon of choice is the pistol/magnum/revolver, not some BFG that destroys everything (tho fun).The pistol makes me feel like a cowboy or some BAMF who uses pistols to solve all his problems(maby I watched too many movies. Also I get to laugh at people,when I kill them with it. Sure I could blow everything all to hell(tyvm gernades), But pulling off a head shot with the pistol is all I need to get my kicks.

Also carrieing more then 4 diffent weapons make thing complicated or boring.I see most fps like it's part of a game of rock,paper,scissors,but when you have all three then is no reason to play,no gamble.Also having multiple guns means you got more things to shoot with (duur no shit retard),so the whole conserve some of those bullets slips your mind.

realism makes it intense, and intensity is half of what fps's are. The other half is the fucking explosions,rapid fire and awsome loud effects.

but what about games like doom3 and its exspantion? you get to carry 10 guns but you can map 4 of them any way you like to the D-pad making your gun of choice quick and easy to locate. i think that was the best set up in any game personaly, and like used said to balance out malti player its one thing to have only 2 guns but in the campaign which is what i play most games for i like the doom 3 set up best

Anyone remember the Serious Sam games? Carrying eight weapons and blasting everything that moved (damn kamikaze bombmen!!!) back to the stone age? Good times, good times...

Mistaza said:
Anyone remember the Serious Sam games? Carrying eight weapons and blasting everything that moved (damn kamikaze bombmen!!!) back to the stone age? Good times, good times...

Oh yeah. That game freakin rocks. There's nothing in the world like literally mowing down hundreds of enemies in a matter of minutes with a huge chaingun. And who can forget those headless kamikaze bombers?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod