Anything in Memphis

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by Bretimus_v2, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 So tired.

Is there anything to do out that way? I'm going to be out there for a business trip and may have spare time to spend. I'd rather that it was directed to something more than sitting around the hotel. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Lien

Lien Rookie

Check out where MLK got shot... Wow... that sounded really morbid...

3. gamerever07

gamerever07 Guest

They said Memphis have a great restaurants and foods, why not try eating and explore their exotic foods??

4. GiftedMonkey

GiftedMonkey Rookie

Go to Corky's. Best BBQ I ever done had.

Graceland (As seen in This Is Spinal Tap!), if you're into that. You can take a tour Sun Studios, the place where Elvis, Johnny Cash, B.B. King and others recorded their tunes. Mud Island is this pretty cool to-scale model of the Mississippi River system.

5. UrbanMasque

UrbanMasque Everyone Wears a Mask

Jerry "the king" Lawler

6. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I've never been to Memphis but I know you gotta get some barbecue.

7. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 So tired.

BBQ...check! Yeah, looks like I'm going to have a ton of fun in Memphis, it was originally going to be in Dallas/Fort Worth. I'll probably try and swing by Sun Studios, but I've heard Graceland is a dump.

8. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 So tired.

Got back last night, all my free time was during the evening so I didn't have a lot of sightseeing. But holy crap, I think I ate more red meat last week then I have in the last three months. (It got to the point that I was ordering salads for lunch.) But the BBQ was indeed amazing. Everything museum was closed when we rolled around but I got to see the Lorraine Motel (pics). They've actually converted the whole thing into the National Civil Rights Museum (which even has it's own 24-7 protestor). For the most part, I just hung out on Beale Street with friends and listened to music. If you ever end up in Memphis (I don't know why you would, but hypothetically...), spend some time there. There are a ton of bars and each of them boasts "the best" live music (some of them fulfill on that promise) and the BB King All-stars are the proverbial shit! There's also a Coyote Ugly, but from what I heard...they're living up to the 'Ugly'. The crappiest part was the fact that BB King himself was going to play in the club the evening that we left.

Considering I haven't taken any vacation this year, the evenings made for a nice relaxer.

9. DocMoc

DocMoc Rookie

When you were on Beale, did you walk with your feet ten feet off of it?

10. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 So tired.

No, but I did hear roughly 7, very drunk, off-key attempts at that song at various open mics and karaoke bars.