Anderson Cooper vs Terry Jones, and the Quran Controversy

For those who are unaware, Pastor Terry Jones, who I make no faults as being a right wing nutball who is looking for attention, is threatening to burn Quran's on September 11th to combat radical Islam and to stop the spread of Islam in the United States.

I don't really think I need to say anything else. This isn't even a freedom of speech or first amendment rights issue, since this act is a direct attack against not only a religion, but also a threat by inciting a panic, like saying fire in a crowded building, so he really has no case.

But everyone for the most part is calling him out on it. General Patraeus, victims of 9/11 families, certain politicians, other religious leaders including OTHER CHRISTIAN GROUPS. Everyone is pretty much against this act.

Here is Anderson Cooper on CNN against Terry Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rptaa2wXXZs&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g59opTaIKk0 Part 2 of the segment.

Anderson pretty much made the dude sweat. HARD. But frankly, even he looked like he was about to lose his own cool at points in this debate.

Good for you Anderson in one way for not losing your own cool, and making him look foolish. Guys like this I normally would ignore, but quite frankly this can be a major issue if he does this, mainly for the security of the Muslims in the U.S and the troops in Afghanistan.

i don't see how this is anything like saying fire in a crowded building. No one would even know anything about what this guy is planning to do if the media didn't give him a bunch of attention. Without a voice he can't say fire. Shit like this should just be ignored and treated as a non story because that is what it is.

Shaft is right, if this never went public then it never would've reached the Middle East and we wouldn't have threats from stating that Bin Laden will stirke again when we least suspect.

I have a lot of probelms with Islam like many others but jeez, this isn't the way to go about it.

You are both right, but sadly this is in public now. There is probably no other way other than someone covering this. Sadly someone WOULD HAVE covered it anyway, and would have used the footage to spread the idea of burning the books anyway.

So whether we like it or not it is part of the news in the end.

Yeah, this upset me when I heard about it. Way to (mis)represent the Prince of Peace. I'm pretty sure he taught about forgiveness and turning the other cheek.

I'm going to light a bible on fire to protest radical Christians. I bet I would be on every news show and I'd probably be shot if I did that.

Or even better, I'm going to light myself on fire to protest idiots being given a shitload of attention. That wouldn't get on any news show.

Longo_2_guns said:
Or even better, I'm going to light myself on fire to protest idiots being given a shitload of attention. That wouldn't get on any news show.

It's been done
rageagainstthemachinera.jpg

SOOOOooo.... 4 chan (yes they're back) is organizing a counter-protest of anons in FL burning the Bible right across the street from the church..

Just thought I'd share that.

Anyway, burn what you want - free speech is free speech - and it IS a free speech issue, and it shouldn't be affiliated with anything else, if it is its because you're assigning the label of hate or religious backlash to it. Burning a Quran vs a flag is no different in the scheme of things.

They should have some class, but then again this is FL - and these are religious zealots.

LinksOcarina said:
This is NOT free speech, this is a desecration of a religion and a violation of human rights over anything else.

...thats an overreaction.

I'm not trolling, but its people like you who take a demonstrations and blow it out of proportion, get the media involved - and THEN get american soldiers killed. If this wasn't being covered in the news, would you care (if you read about it browsing the webs and no one - main media outlets - got a hold of it)?

LinksOcarina said:
This is NOT free speech, this is a desecration of a religion and a violation of human rights over anything else.

Well he is practicing his right to freedom of religion...Even freedom of protest. This kinda goes back to the whole Westboro Baptist Church BS. Can't say I agree with it, but it is what it is.

None of this is news worthy.

Really?

Two things.

1, The first amendment guarantees freedom of speech, religion and the press and all that jazz. In doing so, it also protects the groups (sometimes sadly, in the case of Fox News and extremest groups like Pastor Terrys church) from desecration and hatred attacks.

And this leads to point two. Under this law, certain forms of free speech ARE considered improper and can be shut down. For example, inciting a riot or panic, false accusations, and threats against certain groups, ethnicities and cultures. Basically the axiom of shouting fire into a crowded building can be in play here, doing so is ok under a broad interpretation of freedom of speech, but since it was a lie to incite a panic, the man who does such an act can technically be charged and subsequently arrested by the law.

So what the Pastor is doing is inciting a panic amongst U.S citizens and Muslims around the world and possibly inciting a riot amongst other groups who may use this tactic if they so choose. Plus the fact that this is as close to a hate crime on religion that you can get, especially since other acts of desecration can be punished, such as spraying graffiti on a synagogue or burning down a sacred text to a religious group, is just as equally punishable by the law.

So basically, free speech has no case in this.

Thats a scary exception links, and it can snowball into big brother.
Inciting Panic? Isnt that what the news does and is doing NOW. shut down FOX!

Free speech applies to protest (book burning), hate speech (the N word), and the press ( even fox). Once you start limiting it - it wont stop.

What you cant do is - lie about someone. THAT can be interpreted, but thats not happening here. This is a demonstration, ONLY.

But it is also a demonstration that is built on a lie, that all Muslims are fundamentalists who want to kill us.

I never said it was a good thing that this law exists, but under a technicality, Pastor Terry can be shut down. It's a slippery slope, but sometimes risks need to be made.

And hell, it can become a double standard if this was the other side of the coin anyway.

UrbanMasque said:
LinksOcarina said:
But it is also a demonstration that is built on a lie

What was glenn becks rally about on Augh 28th then?

Same thing, although that is harder to judge because there is no way to measure lies from the crazy people like that. At least with Terry Jones it was clear there was a lie because we know fundamental groups do exist.

Is this about book burning, or FOX news? Couldn't tell.

Considering how often muslim countries chant death to America, stomp/spit/ravage/burn flags, and shoot jews, this is down right peaceful.

Also, they're burning a religious book. Oh GOD MASS PANIC! THE RIGHT WINGERS WILL COME OUT WITH THEIR GUNS AND SHOOT BROWN PPL. OMGWTFBBQ!

Seriously, this is a minor, if incredibly stupid event.

And, please, PLEASE, stop bleating on and on about FOX news, this, that, etc.

ALL CABLE NEWS, FROM FOX TO MSNBC, ARE FULL OF SHIT.

this is the stupidest thing ever. and america wonders why the world hates us.

"hey, i'm religious and all, but lets burn anthers religion's bible. just cause they are assorted with terrorism. never mind how long our religion has been associated with terrorism. good idea, huh? and we'll scream free speech all the time. government is so great for religion when we make it work for us, huh?"

god, i hate america sometimes....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod