Amongst the UK Rioting

blobbohen

Rookie
Haven't heard much about this from a Brit's perspective and was wondering if anyone of the UK crowd here on GR had actually seen any of this chaos going down in front of them.

It's rather nasty from what I hear.

So, has anyone here actually witnessed any of this mania while it was occurring?

Nah, I live near Milton Keynes (about an hour's drive north of London). So no direct contact for me.

Two of my friends live in Manchester and they just said they were walking through the area that was rioted about two hours before it actually happened. Which just put them a bit on edge. But they didn't see anything with their own eyes - no juicy stories for you from me I'm afraid!

By the way, check out this sick bastard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cbVW_QS2eE

Honestly? I was disgusted with the behaviour of the rioters. What were their reasons? Well, there were a few who stepped up to the plate to justify their actions:

The first that comes to mind is the one who said that they wanted to protest against the lack of jobs. When the reporter mentioned that they were destroying any potential jobs along with the buildings they were burning down the rioter said "that's not my problem." Well it is, you fucking moron, because you said it is at the start of this interchange about 60 seconds ago.

There are also those who say they are doing it because they can. Well, they are the height of selfishness. I could run out right now (baring in mind that I am bottomless) and set fire to my local library. I don't do this because I'm not a fucking retard. I have some sense of civic responsibility and realise that my actions influence a lot more people than just myself.

I honestly cannot be more ashamed of the Britons who rioted and looted. Their actions are the epitome of selfishness and as the original reason for these riots is to do with the unjust shooting of a man I find it hard to believe that the thievery of a 50" plasma is justified.

You want to talk about the economic climate? The job market? The unfairness you're experiencing? Go for it. But you know what? The second you start looting the places that could bail you out of the shit storm you're in you lose all credibility.

Lien said:

I'm sick and tired of hearing 15 yr old American boys yelling Anarchy in the UK. No offence Lien, I like you. Anyways, love the video Matt, I loled.

I feel bad for the Brits. First of all they burned down an independent music warehouse, which is not cool. Why go after the indie label? What did they ever do to you??? Second, the Brits will never get to be pirates because they pronounce the letter R as "Ah". Truly tragic indeed.

See this shit wouldn't go down in the US or Australia.

In the US, the riots would last maybe 5 minutes before someone with a shotgun reduce the rioters to a cloud of red.

In Aus, everyone would be too pissed to set fire to anything and end up going to the beach and bashing some lebs instead.

There is a fine line of stupidity that gets walked between protesting and rioting. I can not really comment on what happened with the UK, as I've never been, don't know anyone that has been there in the last 10 years, or keep up with anything that really happens there.

That being said, could someone show me where the acts of vandalizing and destroying your OWN community, in any way, benefits YOU.

Riots are stupid, unless you are at a heavy metal concert. Then it is just part of the experience.

madster111 said:
See this s*** wouldn't go down in the US or Australia.

In the US, the riots would last maybe 5 minutes before someone with a shotgun reduce the rioters to a cloud of red.

That would be me. I'd jump atop my horse Trigger and send those varmints to meet their maker with my 12 gauge Stoeger Coach nicknamed Rappin Ronnie; I'd do it all with a Coke and a smile.

On the other hand Australian riots sound down right peachy, except for the whole profiling of the Lebanese(?) part. ((what!?)) .
Riot or Beach... Riot or Beach...--the BEACH!

^This is what madster actually believes^

Over in the UK: Too many looters, not enough rioters.

Yeah, I remember listening to two girls being interviewd by News Radio. They were drinking looted Rose wine, and said they had been drinking since 9am. Just like maca said, they're reasons are ridiculously shoddy. Most people are literally looting for the hell of it. What was it the girls said? Oh of course, "Yeah blame it on the government...erm, the conservatives?...or whoever they are".

It's just a bunch of chavs.

Initially, it sparked because a policeman shot a suspect that was deemed to be unfair, since said suspect didn't provoke any shooting. Still under investigation that one. But the rioters went to the streets in retaliation to that suspect being shot, sending a message to the police.

But all interviews with the rioters suggest it has nothing to do with that! Just chavs stealing shit. Before all this I would see a guy in Addias joggers and think, "chavvy twat". Now I would literally grind my teeth.

How many track suits do you own? I could not find one picture of the rioters without several tracksuits around.

Sweatpants nation?

Yeah, I like to think our society is split in two. One half are the chavs, rioters, and girls who wear pyjama bottoms with "pineapple" on the ass pushing a pram with a cigarette out the side of their mouth...oh, and they NEVER mow their lawn so you can tell where they live.

Then the other half are people like you and me...normal people (to a degree ;)), who will never throw the first punch and always talk things through. I would say "smart" but I'm not exactly the most intelligent person around! "Sophisticated" says I'm a snob, but I'm really not (even though I talk that way)...so...normal is really the only way to describe this half.

To sum up the answer to your question: Yes, chavs wear sweatpants.

MattAY said:
Then the other half are people like you and me...normal people (to a degree ;)), who will never throw the first punch and always talk things through. I would say "smart" but I'm not exactly the most intelligent person around! "Sophisticated" says I'm a snob, but I'm really not (even though I talk that way)...so...normal is really the only way to describe this half.

Yeah?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvjzBK34Vx0

Good to see some varied responses and 1st hand accounts, which is what I was looking for. I was just curious because the riots in Vancouver seemed to bear some similarities in terms of how certain people amassed to put a stop to the looters and pricks. That kind of defense impresses me it can as dangerous as it is fascinating.

In any case I hope this doesn't result in some kind of excessive government safety measures for you all out there. I've always admired the way that people in the UK, particularly the younger crowd,can organize and march in protest against what they feel is unfair.

The difference between a riot and a protest is a very crucial distinction to be able to make.

blobbohen said:
The difference between a riot and a protest is a very crucial distinction to be able to make.

And one that organizers of protests need to keep an eye on. All it takes is a few bad apples, and your protest turns to riot very fast, in the chaos, your point gets trampled and vandalized with everything else. Politics are turbulent, and unless your careful, you allow what you strive for to get swept away in the tide.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod