Aliens: Colonia Marines

Any one else going to get this game? I thought that it had gotten scraped a while ago and was surprised to see an ad for it a couple of weeks ago.

I'm cautiously optimistic about it. I haven't heard much about it in any previews.

The fact that this is canon to the Alien franchise, picks up right after Aliens and Ridley Scott himself collaborated with the dev team and some of the ideas presented may have influenced Prometheus? Definitely going to check this one out.

The release date is supposed to be the 12th of February 2013, at least here in Australia it is. However, someone broke the release date and we got the game a little earlier than expected. Unfortunately, I have only been able to play TEN MINUTES of it since getting it. So far, I've only killed one alien.

I've tried to look for reviews online and get other people's thoughts on the game, but there's nothing yet. I can't say anything about the game just yet because... I only turned it on and walked around a bit and shot something.

Seems okay to me so far. :)

I was going to pick it up, until I realized it was releasing at a later day on the Wii U. Can't support a game, that can't support Nintendo properly. :p

I had no idea it was on the Wii U. I only saw it for the PS3 and X-Box 360, so I picked mine up for PS3.

Now apparently it's on the Wii U and PC, hm... maybe I should have grabbed PC.

I finally got to sit down with the game and play it for a couple of hours last night after the gym and so far it is pretty good, I'm liking it.

Warning - Spoilers may follow.

Realistically, the controls play a lot like CoD. You know, you can sprint, melee attack, aim down the sights of your gun, most guns have some form of secondary fire etc. It's pretty easy to get a hold of.

Difficutly tends to spike a little, especially when you get ambushed by multiple aliens. "They're in the ceiling" - bloody hell they can come from EVERYWHERE.

So far I haven't seen that many enemy types. I've encountered the standard drone xenomorphs, face huggers and human mercenaries. Fighting the face huggers are so annoying. They're so small and quick. When they attack you, you generally get a chance to survive via quicktime events. Sometimes you may have to wrestle with xenomorphs too with quick time events.

Fighting the humans is pretty generic, to be honest. They occasionally throw grenades, use pulse rifles and then you get "heavy" kind enemies who have a lot of armor and smart guns. They don't really use tactics and it annoys me that shooting an unarmored guy in the face won't take him down like most games.

What is cool is the game has a sorta RPG element to it. When you kill stuff, you get experiecne points and you level up, increasing in "rank". This allows you to unlock new weapons, attachments and upgrades for said weapons. You can also find "legendary" weapons throughout the game, which are pretty sweet.

I think honestly the graphics could be a bit better. The lighting is good, has a very Dead Space feel and at times the game kind of feels like Left 4 Dead, but with aliens. NPC models look okay but sometimes they look pretty average. The aliens' death animations can also look very average. It's strange that the fire effects look pretty awesome, but the explosions don't really look awesome? I wish the game ran a little faster. On the PS3 it runs on 30 FPS, but I'm guessing on the PC it'd be a different story altogether.

The sound effects are awesome though. All the same sound effects from the movies are used - the pulse rifle, the scream of the aliens, the motion tracker, cutting through doors, to the soundtrack. It's a massive feeling of nostalgia if you're a fan of the Aliens films.

Without revealing the storyline - so far it's good. The voice acting for the most part is pretty good too.

I've yet to try multiplayer. So far I've just been looking at the single player.

And... that's pretty much it so far. :)

Aliens Wii U outsourced+delayed.

BlueBerryShadow said:
I was going to pick it up, until I realized it was releasing at a later day on the Wii U. Can't support a game, that can't support Nintendo properly. :p

The Wii U version of Aliens was outsourced to a different company. Gearbox is NOT making the Wii U port. Not only that, but the Wii U version was delayed until late March supposedly, with no specific release date given.

PS3 version for me, please. :D

Its just good plain fun. So smooth..graphics are very dated yet still polished and very acceptable.. The game is so fast, simple, smooth and intense.

Only complaint so far really is the guns sound AWFUL. I wonder if they could patch new sounds cause its that bad.

Well, I've read a large number of negative reviews which is a little disheartening. I'm downloading the game right now so I guess I'll find out. Apparently all the talk about it being canon and whatnot doesn't add up to much since they just gloss over what happened after Aliens and there's no real story to be found.

Lethean said:
Well, I've read a large number of negative reviews which is a little disheartening. I'm downloading the game right now so I guess I'll find out. Apparently all the talk about it being canon and whatnot doesn't add up to much since they just gloss over what happened after Aliens and there's no real story to be found.

its definitely not amazing, but it's entertaining enough.

i am definitely glad my buddy gifted it to me, and i didn't pay for it though lol. the reviews i've read are pretty harsh.

it definitely feels like a game that should have been released in 2003 though, not 2013

intoTheRain said:
Lethean said:

its definitely not amazing, but it's entertaining enough.

i am definitely glad my buddy gifted it to me, and i didn't pay for it though lol. the reviews i've read are pretty harsh.

it definitely feels like a game that should have been released in 2003 though, not 2013

You know whats funny is the latest AvP game felt like that as well. I find it funny because one of my all time favourite FPS games was the AvP from 2001 or so. I expected this one to be a blend between an action based FPS and a semi tactical Ghost Recon type of approach with your squadmates.

I'm glad some people are enjoying it, like intoTheRain and a few others... I however, find it complete shit.

It's terrible in every way, and this is coming from someone who was looking forward to it for 5 years. I -wanted- to like it, I tried to like it, but everything from the 'story' to the mechanics, the glitches, the graphics, AI and terrible animations add up to an awful experience.

I'm not angry. I'm not upset. I'm depressed, I'm sad because I was looking forward to this, and now, it's failing on every level.

Meh.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod