After Jacksonville's Mass Shooting During a Video Game Competition,US Videogames Should Be Banned

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Grump, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Grump

Grump Rookie

US games are known for violence, lack of combat system, representations of circus freaks like homosexuals and transexuals, ugly women to pander to far left marxists, while japanese games are all about gameplay. Sure, you have Yakuza, but it's fist fight that becomes the predominant game mechanics and not shooting and running over people with vehicles. Original Sin 2 is Belgian , by the way, before you start trying to defend yourself that it is American.

US games should be banned, so that Japanese games, therefore gameplay-oriented video games can take the driving seat again instead of the garbage cinematic-experience bullshit like GTA and Red Dead 2. Fucking embarassing day to be a gamer.

2. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

So games made in the US should be banned because a shooting occurred at a football game event? Are you serious, Clark?

3. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Or we ban guns.
    GTA was made in Scotland but the UK ain't got a mass shooting problem.

Master_Craig likes this.
  4. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

When will the U.S. honestly admit that it has an issue with guns?

Here in Australia, a lot of guns are illegal. People can still legally own firearms, such as pistols, rifles, shot guns etc. for the purpose of hunting or/and sport.

The law for firearms in Australia changed due to the 1996 Port Arthur Massacre, where a man took the streets of Port Arthur (in Tasmania, Australia) and murdered 35 people, wounding an additional 23. The gunman was using a Colt AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, as well as a L1A1 SLR semi-automatic battle rifle.

There's just quite a bit of tape over the gun laws in Australia, such as heavy background/police checks, having to have a firearm license (like a driver's license, you're tested in a pass/fail manner to see if you're competent to use a firearm and must be renewed on a scheduled basis) and you are required by law t have some serious security storage at home (a gun safe) to legally have guns in your house.

Australia isn't perfect. Our politics are currently the laughing stock of the world and yes, Australia does suffer from mass shootings (a "mass shooting" is three or more people dead, excluding the perpetrator) but Australia's mass shootings occur once every few years. In America, it unfortunately seems to be every month.

Video games are not the problem.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  5. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

It’s not that we don’t, it’s just that the majority of the people who run the country are bought off by the gun lobby and are up their own asses with the “but muh second amendment” argument.

6. Grump

Grump Rookie

I mean, how many of you actually carry around guns around to , you know, DEFEND yourselves .in real life scenarios?

In GTA, RDR, Deus Ex, your characters carry around firearms either to assault a stronghold, or a group of also armed people. No way in hell you'll go to have a pleasant dinner at an Italian restaurant with your loved ones carrying a firearm, in case some spooks in street corners try something funny with both of you. The same goes with David Katz, the perpetrator, why a firearm during a videogame contest ? He most definitely had an assault instead of defensive stance in his mind.

7. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

I fully admit it, but I'm not in charge. Hell, an overwhelming number of people, even NRA members, agree that common sense gun reform is necessary, but like Green_Lantern said, too many of our politicians who could actually do anything about it are bought off by the NRA leadership, gun manufacturers and others to sit on their thumbs.

HEY! You don't get to claim that title. You don't have Trump as a president! Know your place. :p

8. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

Videogames are a fantasy, and usually portray worlds where there are more threats to the protagonist than would exist in the real world. That said, there are still people in the real world that do take their guns around with them in the event they need to defend themselves from a threat. Sometimes this works out and they actually do stop some form of crime some day, against themselves or someone else, and sometimes without even needing to pull the trigger. Other times, these people just become a statistic as they attempt to stop a crime but get killed in the process.

A sane person who carries a gun with them hopes they'll never have to pull out their weapon. If they do have to, they'll do their best to escape the situation unharmed, firing only if necessary. Crazy people think they're going to be Rambo in a crisis and take out whatever threat presents itself, even going as far as hunting it down. These are the ones who are most likely to be killed.

I will note that I am not a gun owner and try to be unbiased when it comes to gun ownership. I do feel we need some major reforms here though.

As far as the shooter at the Madden tournament, my understanding is that he lost, left the building, then came back in with a weapon and started shooting. That's what I heard from a news report anyway.

9. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope. Day.
    The US has already had over 290 mass shootings this year alone.

10. Master_Craig

Staff Member

That's fair to say. Apologies, Green_Lantern. I realise it was unfair of me to say "When will America realize" because I do understand that a lot of people in America see this problem and want to try and find a resolution.

Honestly, I reckon Australia's politics are the worst for a democracy. Like America, our Prime Minister (essentially your President) is supposed to run a term for four years, then it might be possible for them to be voted in for a second term (so potentially, eight years) and then after that, they can no longer serve as Prime Minister.

We haven't had a full serving Prime Minister since 2007. It seems every two or so years, their leadership gets pulled into question and they essentially get back stabbed by their colleagues out of the top spot.

Jesus Christ.

11. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Incoming TL;DR (too long; didn't read).

Like COMaestro has already said, video games are fictional fantasy, they're just for entertainment. As for the games you've mentioned, well... in GTA, the protagonist(s) are criminals. In RDR, the protagonist is (or technically was) a criminal/gang member in a "spaghetti western" story, and in Deus Ex, you're playing as a cyborg secret agent guy.

As for carrying a firearm as a concealed weapon... I can't imagine doing, or having to do that, but I understand people do it.

I watched an interesting video on YouTube by a former Navy SEALS operative. When discussing self defense, this man believes that concealed carry is the best form of self defense. What he explained though (and what a lot of people apparently don't and can't understand) is that as soon as you make the decision to conceal carry, you are making the decision that you could take somebody's life that day. He said you don't carry a gun to scare someone, you don't carry a gun to wound someone, you carry a gun to kill someone.

He also said that a lot of people who want to own guns and conceal carry apparently don't often have training or/and experience, so they don't know how to properly use a firearm, especially under dangerous, stressful situations.

This goes back to the whole "you could take somebody's life that day", because if you've been properly trained to use a firearm (similar to the training that law enforcement or military undertake), then that means if you choose to shoot someone, you would most likely be aiming and firing at their center of mass, their torso. It's the biggest target on the human body, the easiest to hit and of course, the torso carries many vital organs like the heart, lungs, stomach, intestines etc. as well as your spine and central nervous system. So, your target would definitely get dropped to the floor and it would be a real certainty that they would die. All this crap about "shooting them in the leg" or whatever is bullshit.

As for David Katz (like COMaestro said), all I've really read is that he was there to play Madden, lost rounds, was unable to get to the finals and left the venue without shaking hands with the winners. He then returned with two guns, a .45 caliber pistol and a 9mm. Not that it matters but one of the weapons had a trigger guard as well as a laser sight attached to them. The guns were in his vehicle, meaning he bought them with him to the competition (along with extra ammunition) and he bought the guns legally... he also has a history of mental illness, being previously prescribed anti-psychotic medicine. According to Wikipedia, this kind of medicine is used to treat psychosis, as well as delusions, hallucinations, paranoia or disordered thought, especially in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

The disturbing fact is that he bought the guns and ammo with him to the competition venue, so I would dare say that this shooting was planned. As for buying the guns legally, I have no idea how that happened. With all due respect, wouldn't the perpetrators' mental illness prevent him from buying weapons? Do America do background checks on their customers for firearms?

No, the solution is not "we need more guns" either.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  12. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I watched another interesting video with former US President Barack Obama. Now, regardless of what you think of him, he actually had good things to say in this video. It was about gun control. He discussed how he doesn't want to take guns away, but options in better regulating them.

Obama talked about how in order to legally drive a car, you need to have a license, a driver's license. To get this license, you not only need to spend a minimum amount of time training and learning, you will then need to take a competency-based, pass or fail test under a qualified instructor in an approved testing environment.

If you pass, congratulations, you get to drive a car. If you don't pass, then sorry, try again next time. Then of course, there's licenses for different types of vehicles... automatic or manual transmission, heavy vehicles (trucks), forklifts etc. Having a standard driver's license (e.g. automatic transmission) doesn't mean that you're legally allowed to drive other particular vehicles, even if you think you know how to.

Could the same philosophy be (or should be) used for guns?

It varies from state to state here in Australia, but where I live, there are compulsory requirements that you must undertake before applying for a firearm's license, they are:
    • Be at least 18 years of age (or 12 years of age for a Junior Sporting Club License)
    • Provide proof that you are a resident of the state
    • Provide proof of identity (driver's license, passport, birth certificate etc.)
    • Not be subject to or have been subject to a domestic violence order within the last five years
    • Have completed an approved firearm safety training course
    • Be able to met safe storage requirements under the Firearms Act & Regulations
    • Have genuine reason/need for holding a firearm license
    Even then, there are loads of different kinds of firearm licenses here in Australia (and where I live) and you can find more information about that here. Your "genuine reason/need" will also determine what kind of firearm(s) you are legally allowed to own. Here's a list.

13. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

Yes.

I've seen arguments from people whom I will call "2nd Amendment Enthusiasts" for lack of a better description who respond to calls to ban guns, challenging those people with the idea of banning cars since automobile fatalities are higher than gun related deaths. What amazes me is the failure to recognize the purpose of these products. Cars are intended to transport people from place to place. Yes, people have accidents with them (or in some instances are intentionally used to cause harm), but the purpose of the car is transportation.

The purpose of a gun is to kill.

Full stop. That's it.

All states require a license for a person to legally drive a vehicle. Only a handful require a license or some other certification to purchase and own a firearm, and of those only 7 require the would-be owner to pass an exam of some sort. That's 43 states where you can purchase a firearm without any kind of training or even education regarding its use. All because "the right to bear arms shall not be infringed".

Let me be clear: I don't want guns to be banned. I do believe people have used them for self defense or the defense of others successfully. I do have a problem with almost anybody being able to go into a store, even those with a history of domestic violence or mental problems, and being able to purchase a firearm with no proven training or documentation that they are qualified to use such a weapon.

So yes, we should have gun licensing nationwide, it should require training and a test of some kind in order to obtain one, and it should need to be renewed periodically. I also feel there should be some kind of psychological element to the testing in an effort to detect those who would use them for criminal purposes. That last bit may be tricky to implement, I admit.

14. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I completely agree with you COMaestro. Personally, I hate the "car argument".

I'm just repeating what you said but seriously, a car is to transport people or/and things from A to B. A gun's purpose is to kill people. Cars and other vehicles can be used to unfortunately damage or kill, but a gun's purpose is only to kill.

I remember in 2016 when a terrorist stole a truck and killed over 80 people in Nice, France. I have a few people on my Facebook friends list who are gun enthusiasts, and that's okay, but what's not okay is how they immediately took to social media and started making fun of the situation, with comments like "We need to ban trucks!" "Ban wheels!" "Ban fuel so we can't use trucks anymore!" etc. I was absolutely appalled, so many helpless, innocent people (including children) were murdered that day.