Account Security

GRColin

Rookie
Hi All,

Been a while since I've been on here, but I've been getting a bunch of "lost password" mails to my email. Turns out, someone has been posting from my account the last few days. Very confusing.

Changed my password. Not sure what was going on as the person wasn't pretending to be me, but weird nonetheless. Going to go erase a bunch of forum posts now. :)

For those who remember me, how goes? For those who don't, well, my last review was 5 years ago.

Ah, and I see the description next to my name is super classy. Nice. Oh, and it doesn't seem like something I can easily change.

And the image in my posts isn't the same as in my account. Just erased a different sig. Clearly, someone has deep access to the accounts here.

Given that this account is connected to a large number of game reviews, It'll be interesting to see what this person(s) did.

Looking at the mails into the account, it was clearly one of the mods, and that folks at GR know someone has been using my account for quite awhile.

Good to see that Game Revolution has that level of respect for people who started the whole thing. *sigh*

Ohhhhh, I see what happened here!

So here's what happened. Lethean, one of the old timers, decided to change his username to Colin like two days ago. But at the same time, there is Colin the old time reviewer and one of the first people on the site.

So when Lethean changed to Colin it merged the two accounts into a Frankenstein account.

Now I'm assuming this is Colin Colin and not Lethean Colin, so sorry about that! You can blame Lethean Colin, he is not good with computers.

(also that tag is Lethean's tag, nothing personal).

Wow, that's one giant security hole. How the hell would a system allow two identical usernames? Did someone force the system from a backend? If it just allows this, I'm shocked it hasn't happened before. (I won't be shocked if this happens again now that people can see the hole)

Guess I should stop erasing things from this account at the moment...

Aww, some database update removed my name from a lot of my old reviews... in other news, my reviews for Sega Saturn games are still live though uncredited. :p

- The one true Colin

Hi Colin!

Haha yeah I had no idea that would happen. I'm surprised it let me change my username to be honest if your account was still active. The funny thing is when I couldn't log on, I thought it was because I changed my username so I did a password reset, and it sent the reset link to my email. I was able to login after that but then this morning I was unable to again. Thinking the automatic password that gets generated expires, I reset it again and didn't get any email so that's when the system must have sent it to you. Crazy stuff.

And I'm perfectly fine with computers Longo! We can blame phpbb. I mean, what kind of system doesn't even allow multiquote?

Totally funky. Now, getting my avatar image to change is all weird. I uploaded a new image, and it reverted back to Domokun. I still can't figure out half of the configs. The amalgam account is all bizarro.

My original password still worked on this Frankenstein. May have gummed things up when I changed it this morning.

Hopefully, I'm not going to encounter anything embarassing in your messages with others. If I do, my silence doesn't cost much. :p

How the heck hasn't this happened before? And who's going to be the first one after me to get their account all screwy because of how easy it is to mess with someone else's user name? GR forum back in the day would have descended into total chaos within 24 hours of an exploit like this being known. lol

- C!

Well, that was a great way to bring back unfinished business. Colin, as in Duke's brother? I'm sorry, this kinda situation had me laughing once I came by and saw it has been resolved.

Colin said:
Wow, that's one giant security hole. How the hell would a system allow two identical usernames? Did someone force the system from a backend? If it just allows this, I'm shocked it hasn't happened before. (I won't be shocked if this happens again now that people can see the hole)

Guess I should stop erasing things from this account at the moment...

Aww, some database update removed my name from a lot of my old reviews... in other news, my reviews for Sega Saturn games are still live though uncredited. :p

- The one true Colin

Sooo u staying now and joining our merry band of 2015 brethren or just came to stop the password email flood?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod