A Virus in Misc?

Chris_Crime

Rookie
Nortons reads a virus in Mala's topic in Misc., at least for me.

Maybe it's not affecting everyone, so this is just a heads up.

details
http://www.symantec.com/security_respon ... 14-2838-99

"CONGRATULATIONS ON SILENT PLAYERS...."
Code:
http://www.gamerevolution.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6268
topic url

Edit:
it seems to be multiple topics in Misc; maybe the whole Misc board?

am I the only one getting the prompt for a Chinese language pack?

Hmm, I'm not getting anything. I don't use Norton though, I have avast!, ZoneAlarm and Spybot running persistent checks.

Sam

^^ okay, this may just be me then.

happened in Grandmasters as well.

untitledsx4.jpg

Some smart ass moron of a mod decided to edit my post and badly embed a .swf. I saw it and took it out before it even loaded so I don't know what it was. It should be fine now.

No idea on the language pack front though :S...No Chinese in it to my knowledge

I got a Norton notification when I entered this topic...

Edit: after posting that reply the same notification came up, and it's basically the same thing as yours.

Thanks for the link mala, I've edited that flash out so anyone taking a look now you're not going to see it. I'll forward the information on to joeblow and see what the hell's going on.

Sam

Ok I've talked to Joe and he's checked out the code. The site the flash is coming from looks fishy so don't go to it anyone. If any of you notice a white box followed by a bunch of code that looks like this:

untitled.jpg

PM me, TNO or joeblow with the URL to the topic straight away. If topics continue to be mysteriously edited with this then I'm going to have to remove the ability to embed videos and I already have joeblow's backing to do so.

Sam

IMPORTANT!!!

Ok guys all GMs are aware of the problem and we're working on sorting it out and figuring out how it happened in the first place. In the mean time if you find out that your signature has the HTML code (basically if it starts with <embed and contains a link to a website you probably don't recognise that's it, delete from <embed to embed>). Also, do NOT go to the website, I haven't been there but Joe has and he says it definitely looks fishy so I'll say again, do NOT go to the website, just delete all the code from your signature.

Sam

So after this passes, will we get embedded video back? Obviously doing what's best for the boards is the only choice, and It's not a big deal, but I was just wondering.

masterchris said:
FYI, if anybody else receives this message asking them to install a language pack, click Cancel. Do not click Install.

ATTENTION, DO NOT CLICK CANCEL. Press ctrl alt del and End Task on 'http :// www .gamerevolution. com - Game Revolution:'. Pressing Cancel is just the same as pressing Install.

trust me, i learned the hard way...

Thanks for the info Chris. That should help to save some people.

Just so everyone knows HTML is off for the weekend. One of our staff will do a database check two or three times a day to remove the infection from wherever it has popped up. It spreads pretty fast...

LinksOcarina said:
is it still safe to travel on here or no though?

I believe so.

It's spreads and adds stuff to our database but it's not damaging.

Seems to have hit MySpace now. :shock:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod