25 years of Street Fighter

Wes

Rookie
Hard to believe Street Fighter is 25 years old but it's true.

If you have a little over an hour I suggest you check out this documentary made for its 25th anniversary. It's full of hard core nerds and the people who made the games who explain why we loved this series, these characters and why we paid money for the exact same game, in turbo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gZBITO5GwI

Who was your character in Street Fighter 2? Which game did you love the most? What nostalgic memories do you have of the series and how do you like what it has become today?

Uh yeah, so anyway my character was always Ken. I think he was a fan favourite, like Ryu but with more attitude. Super Street Fighter 2 was my favourite because it had Cammy and Cammy was hot.

My first memory was at the convenience store near my elementary school. I remember it blew our minds and I liked Dhalsim the most because I thought his stretchy arms were a cheap attack that stretched through the screen. My other friend liked Chun Li because she was fast. But I still kicked his ass and would gloat to him until a teenager would walk up and beat the crap out of me, taking over the game.

I played Turbo a lot on the SNES with my older brother. Loved cranking up the speed and button mashing. We used E. Honda a lot, because of his funny grunting noises, and because he was fat. Also, the million palm attack he does.

We just had plain Street Fighter II. Guile and Chun-Li were my favorites. My brother was always Blanka.

I grew to like the SNK fighters better though.

Don't have time to watch the documentary but I'll check it out later since I love Street Fighter. My player is Ryu but I used to use Blanka because I loved how he could shock people and bite their heads. But when I got it for SNES and learned how to do a fireball it was Ryu all the way. It was ths coolest game ever... Until I saw Mortal Kombat.

I remember my first time playing it: Family Food Fair convenience store baby! Too bad it doesn't exist anymore. But I remember i'd always get my ass kicked by 20-somethings.

Co-op games were always the best though at the arcades. TMNT, X-Men, The Simpsons, etc. Working together were the right types of games for my age group at the time. But a part of me always wanted go be that undefeated champ at the street fighter 2 cabinet, and having all the glory that came with being a jaded teenager in the early 90's.

Playing on the SF2 arcade machine on holidays in Spain against my brother. We played for a solid 3 hours and spent so much money, we also forgot about dinner....it's not often I miss a meal people.

I've always preferred Ryu and Chun Li.

I remember me and my brother were stranded at an RV park one summer so we probably dropped like $40 in a non-Turbo Hyper Fighting cabinet. I'm pretty sure it was SFII The World Warriors, but in arcade cab form which I had never seen before.

Now? I don't know... I feel like Street Fighter and the FGC at large are too insular.

25 years and were finally at 4?

My favorite character was always Ryu. I felt like he's a cool character and always worked him and he was always in the next iteration of SF2

Wow. Geeze. I'm as old as Street Fighter. Or vice versa.

It's hard to say, I have two most memorable Street Fighter games. First up is Super Street Fighter II for the SNES. I remember being completely blown away by the intro (Ryu doing a hadouken).

Second, it's Street Fighter Alpha III on the PSP. I used to play with my friend in that game ALL the time.

Like... well, many other players my favourite character of Street Fighter is Ryu.

He's very easy to play as and seems like not only a great beginner character, but a great intermediate and all round kinda character. I like how in every game he's almost the same, so you can just pick up and play basically.

My friend argues Ken is better because Ken seems to attack faster and has combination hits. I disagree with it... for example, with their Hurricane Kick, I think Ryu's is better because as long as it hits once, it'll knock the enemy down with maximum damage. Ken needs to achieve all hits of his Hurricane Kick to achieve maximum damage.

I love his design, how it's so simple yet has become so iconic and in a sense, original, it's been ripped off on so many occasions.

I always used to use Blanka even though I felt he was never as good as Ken or Ryu in terms of a move set. I think I started to use him out of spite just to be someone who wasn't just another Ken or Ryu but then after a while as I got better with him I actually started to like him.

Once I started playing Tekken and Soul Calibur though, I pretty much didn't bother with Street Fighter much anymore.

I was a Blanka user too. His monsterish appearance was the most appealing.

Fondest memory is one match against my older cousin who was really good at the game. I somehow got him into a stunlock using the head gnawing move and won the match. You could taste the anger lingering in the air after that.

Never been much into fighting games otherwise.

I downloaded Street Figter II: The Animated Movie and watched it with my roomie. He had never seen it but also loves the series. Just to make sure he could appreciate it we watched clips of the live action movie first.

It helped.

But we still giggled over
1) The fact that Chun-Li is a government agent and dresses like.... like Chun-Li
2) Chun-Li's mandatory shower scene

How dare you laugh at Chun Li's shower scene! That was incredibly important to my development when I rented that movie from the local library.

Whatever you guys do, don't watch The Legend of Chun-Li. The only thing I liked about that movie was Liu Kang is Gen and Chun Li's spinning bird-kick. Oh and happy belated 25th birthday. I didn't have a favorite character.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod