When exactly was it that rioting became the new planking?

How about listening to the officer's commands the first time?

How about listening to the officer's commands the second time?

The third?

How about it?

How? Well, that's how.

Members of our great friend society, do yourselves a favor and put your cell phones and righteous indignation down for one moment to get yourselves out of a ticket and quite possibly out of a hole in the ground.

Law abiding friends, what the fuck, amirite? #riot #hashtag #amirite

This is me looking around for people in this forum that actually know what its like to be judged before someone has even spoken to you.

tumblr_nxx2boHWkg1rk2l45o1_400.gif

And having that judgement cost you your life

Awareness

Also, without the alternative of violent demonstration - peaceful demonstration is ineffective.

Lastly, Boston Tea Party was pretty effective

What a ridiculous statement! What awareness does protesting make when it turns to acts of barbarism? Who said violent demonstration is the only alternative? The only thing that brings is more violence. The protests are aimed in the wrong direction to begin with. We should be lobbying congressmen and making informed decisions about who we're putting in office.

False equivalency, Urbz, for as many times as we've been judged it has never cost us our lives.

Boston Tea Party? Holy shit.

So 1984, seriously... if we cant agree on the word of whats happening, then we're not going to get anywhere. You say rioting, I say protesting.

StudioTan said:
What a ridiculous statement! What awareness does protesting make when it turns to acts of barbarism? Who said violent demonstration is the only alternative? The only thing that brings is more violence. The protests are aimed in the wrong direction to begin with. We should be lobbying congressmen and making informed decisions about who we're putting in office.

No, violence is a result of the situation we live in and the system that continues to allow state actors to murder people and get away with it. Your seeing the reaction, not the action.

Awareness, and its working because here we have a thread about it in a video game forum. If it were people holding hands and marching, it would just be business as usual in america.

You're talking about the protest/riot and the hope is that at some point you also address the root of WHY they are doing this.. but hey if you want to keep treating the symptoms, fight fire with fire - I'm sure the protesters would welcome it.

Optimus-Crime said:
False equivalency, Urbz, for as many times as we've been judged it has never cost us our lives.

False equivalency, red herring, slippery slope, yada yada yada - people who use terms like this aren't interested in talking about the issues or the underlying variables that contribute to the way things are - they just want to try to debate and be contrarian. :?

UrbanMasque said:
This is me looking around for people in this forum that actually know what its like to be judged before someone has even spoken to you.
One time I was walking through a suburban neighborhood in a Raiders sweatshirt with the hood up. A police car pulled up next to me and stopped, a good ten feet before the next stop sign so it was obvious they were checking me.

I took the hood off and said "Good evening officers!" And they laughed. They fucking laughed. And they drove off.

While it's partly just a funny story, yeah, there is some bias when it comes to the police, and society in general. And by "some" I mean "A fucking lot of it". If Urban and I were in a store together, you can bet they'd treat me better. (Though he is twice my size, but still)

That said, I have some problems with BLM and the protesting/rioting in terms of logistics and management, and leadership especially. But the message is clear: the bonds of slavery, the oppression of Jim Crow and reconstruction, it hasn't left.

I'm not a fan of the rioting, though. I understand its use in terms of giving a voice to the voiceless, but it still bugs me.

Though when peaceful protests (ie Kaepernick) are laughed at, what other course is there?

I offered a solution that didn't require more violence. Interesting that you made another thread urging people to vote, Urb.

And I was well aware of this issue before any of these "protests" began, but the violent nature of these protests raises a different kind of awareness, and it leaves the outside observer with very little sympathy.

We live in a democratic society, we don't need to start a revolution to make changes.

StudioTan said:
I offered a solution that didn't require more violence. Interesting that you made another thread urging people to vote, Urb.

And I was well aware of this issue before any of these "protests" began, but the violent nature of these protests raises a different kind of awareness, and it leaves the outside observer with very little sympathy.

We live in a democratic society, we don't need to start a revolution to make changes.

The reliance on any type of system to distribute justice to the victims and the community, even with video tapped evidence, has been laughable at best. So when people lose sympathy towards the 'protesters" it make them sound like they're saying 'fine, they deserve what they get'. A revolution of ideas, like Bernie mentioned, is likely needed. Its not like the congressmen dont know whats happening, but lobbying these institutions is impossible especially when 2/3 of the Policemens Benevolent Association has openly endorsed someone like Trump. Civil Rights era was like, yesterdayin terms of timeline - do you think those cops, judges, politicians, prosecutors putting people away on false charges, or clearing murderers just disappeared?

And Longo hit the nail on the head, its time to protest in ways people can't ignore. Football was considered 'safe' and I think the real backlash to Kap is the fact that he is letting players, coaches, and fans know that they dont exist in a bubble.

No one really gets listened to when they protest quietly. Its not until highways get blocked and daily life gets interrupted that things change.

It is my hope that the sentiments held by opponents of the Civil Rights movement disappear when they inevitably die. They teach racism to their children, of course, but a child has a lifetime to form an opinion, and there's where my hope lies that the voice of racists eventually dwindles into insignificance.

I do think a more intellectual approach would garner more support than a movement with people who harbor a "Fuck the police" attitude at its forefront, donned in masks and engaging in criminal acts. Yes, I agree, radical change is needed, but why can't it be done by lobbying congressmen, and voting out the ones who aren't representative of our voice?

A call for educational reform: citizens should know that when under arrest, the place to argue your innocence is in a court room, not before the law enforcement officer. Now, our current judicial system is another matter, but practices like keeping your hands on the wheel and answering questions directly should be taught to every adolescent to ensure a safe interaction. An officer is taught to quickly assess the immediate situation to determine if there is threat, how severe, and the safest approach to absolve the issue. All this has to be done in the blink of an eye, so there's a lot of room for human error. So, what about:

A call for a system that requires more rigorous training and aptitude tests for LEOs

A study in alternative means of handling arrests

A call for more research and implementation of non-lethal technologies that can incapacitate a suspect.

I think peaceful protests of marching and holding hands can be effective when lead by sound minds that can communicate their goals.

Calling one out because of syntax, and then ending their own argument with "You're just a contrarian, you don't really want to debate" is quite the spin job there, Urbz.

So how is looting a means to standing up for social justice? All spin is welcome.

As somebody looking in from the outside, i'd like to point out that i support the side that didn't attempt to burn somebody alive in the fucking street, mate. If you look around you and everybody else wearing the same shirt is punching kittens, it might be time to stop wearing that shirt.

Using the old 'getting our message across' to justify violence is the oldest trick in the book and has never nor will it ever lead to any lasting peace or true change, the leaders who lead ACTUAL changes back in the 60s would be rolling in their fucking graves.

I find it funny you brought up trump. There is literally nothing better for his campaign than a group of minorities starting shit while he's up there talking loudly and hardlining, i'd almost think he paid for the first people to throw rocks.

Longo_2_guns said:
One time I was walking through a suburban neighborhood in a Raiders sweatshirt with the hood up. A police car pulled up next to me and stopped, a good ten feet before the next stop sign so it was obvious they were checking me.

I took the hood off and said "Good evening officers!" And they laughed. They fucking laughed. And they drove off.

While it's partly just a funny story, yeah, there is some bias when it comes to the police, and society in general. And by "some" I mean "A fucking lot of it". If Urban and I were in a store together, you can bet they'd treat me better. (Though he is twice my size, but still)
I'm going to be very ignorant here, but hear me out. I feel it's not the color of the skin causing the biased judgements people have, but the appearances of said people. When people associate hoodies, baggy and sagging pants with rappers rapping about sex, drugs and violence, it's probably hard not to judge a person by their appearance. Say you and Urban were together, Urban is looking sharp in a suit and you're wearing the clothes I described. I feel not only the police, but society would keep an eye on you waiting your bad deeds.

Also, I disagree with Urban about rioting is protesting. I don't see how rioting would be beneficial to the side they're supporting. To me, it's not protesting, but an amazing way to show how many morons can be in one area. When you have the media showing people looting and vandalizing property, it makes that side look like brainless animals. Protesting without a need for a violence is the best way. It only gets laughed at when it first starts and not many people back it. Once it's known, people come together.

I was watching this documentary on prejudice and it was quite interesting. In the documentary they explained hatred actually comes from fear. Martin Luther King was played by a white bald man. Oh and it was all animated and they had sentinels.

UrbanMasque said:
StudioTan said:

The reliance on any type of system to distribute justice to the victims and the community, even with video tapped evidence, has been laughable at best. So when people lose sympathy towards the 'protesters" it make them sound like they're saying 'fine, they deserve what they get'. A revolution of ideas, like Bernie mentioned, is likely needed. Its not like the congressmen dont know whats happening, but lobbying these institutions is impossible especially when 2/3 of the Policemens Benevolent Association has openly endorsed someone like Trump. Civil Rights era was like, yesterdayin terms of timeline - do you think those cops, judges, politicians, prosecutors putting people away on false charges, or clearing murderers just disappeared?

And Longo hit the nail on the head, its time to protest in ways people can't ignore. Football was considered 'safe' and I think the real backlash to Kap is the fact that he is letting players, coaches, and fans know that they dont exist in a bubble.

No one really gets listened to when they protest quietly. Its not until highways get blocked and daily life gets interrupted that things change.

Dr. King would disagree with that somewhat.

True, he blocked highways on his march as well, but it was a constant march, with a singular focus and purpose. It was civil disobedience and it raised awareness by sacrificing comfort.

Two weeks ago I saw Tulsa and Charlotte go through the same type of incident, with different results. Tulsa was peaceful and actually more effective id say, because it showed that disobedience in a way that is palpable. Charlotte, however, is easy pickings for all sides because it can be misconstrued by a ton of folks as being a protest, a riot, a robbery, a beatdown, whatever you want to call it.

I think the problem is simply consistency more than anything else. I can't understand why people who try to incite riots, regardless of the message they bring to the table, would do so. It just makes things worse. I can understand civil disobedience however, if it's done in a way that is not self-damaging to their cause.

I will never know what it's like to be judged on something I can't help, you know, but it's hard not to judge someone for being foolish when they try to burn down the world and justify it as fair game. At least, in my perspective.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod