Dismiss Notice
We are preparing to migrate this site to SSL (https login). For Details and Support Visit: Migration to SSL

What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Star Wars: The Last Jedi!

Highlight the following text for my review:

It sucks!

!

2. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I wouldn’t go that far Longo. I certainly enjoyed it, especially the Rey/Luke arc. The whole Rose character sucks though.

3. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

It didn't suck. There were a lot of segments that straight up ruled.
    It just felt like three movies on top of each other, and only one of those three movies was good.

4. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

I saw the Last Jedi as well. I thought it was really good. Better than Force Awakens, certainly. I liked how it played with expectations and subverted them nearly every time.

That said, I won't deny that the
    Canto Bight
    portion was rather pointless. It wasn't executed well enough to matter and either needed to be cut or expanded upon to make it more relevant. Loved Mark Hamill's performance, bringing a mix of gravitas and genuine humor to this older, jaded Luke Skywalker.

And I also enjoyed
    Yoda showing up to teach one more lesson.
    It brought a smile to my face.

5. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Saw Star Wars: The Last Jedi just recently.

I really liked it for the most part, but it was a flawed film and there were some segments of the film that could have been done better, and even a few segments that were downright unnecessary.

6. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

Kinda bummed I didn't get around to watching a complete Christmas film the entire weekend. For one thing, we just purchased a house (!!) so we are really busy trying to move everything over. Once we stopped for the day on Christmas Eve, we started watching The Ref with Denis Leary after the kids were in bed. However, our six year old son started throwing up and we had to turn it off so we could care for him. I was up with him until about 5:00 when my wife took over and I was able to get a couple hours of sleep.

On Christmas we started up Muppet Christmas Carol with dinner, but when I finished eating I had to go reassemble the kids' bed frames, as the back bedrooms get pretty cold and I didn't want them sleeping on the floor. By the time I was done, the movie was wrapping up. The only thing I did watch all the way through was the animated How the Grinch Stole Christmas, as it was late but I wanted to watch something Christmas-y that day, though even then I was so tired that I started nodding off here and there, and it's only like a 20 minute film!

I need a Christmas do-over!

7. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Man, sounds like you guys had a bit of a crazy Christmas. Sorry to hear about that, man. Hope your kids are feeling better.

And hey, congratulations on buying the house! That's so amazing, man. :)

8. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

Thanks! Yeah, we're pretty excited and just trying to get everything out of the old place and to our new one. Kiddo seemed to bounce back the next day and now is ornery as ever. Now the other kid just needs to stop waking up between 1-3 AM! He eventually goes back to sleep, but we need to get him out of the bedroom so he doesn't wake up his brother, so either me or my wife have to sit up with him until he passes out, then we get to do the same.

9. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

Saw Chappie for the first time last weekend. It was okay. It was a bit jarring, I think, to get into a bit of transhumanism at the end, but it wasn't bad, just unexpected. The person who ended up being the villain was kind of over the top the whole movie, so it wasn't too surprising that's who it turned out to be. Worth a watch, but probably just once.

Saw The Last Jedi again also and still like it! Noticed more little details this time around that I missed in my first viewing.

10. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Saw The Greatest Showman last night.

It was good. It feels a bit fast paced but I really enjoyed the musical aspects of it. The dancing, singing and overall choreography are great.

11. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Watched The Post last night.
    Started real slow, mostly because I didn't completely know what was going on! But it soon got simpler and more engaging.

Some gentle humour but that's about it.

Probably a 5-6/10 for me.

Watching Jumanji on Tuesday - anyone seen that?

12. NegFactor

NegFactor Novice

He Knows You're Alone (1980)

The movie can be unsettling in brief moments mostly because of sound. The parts that bring the most fright are the ones where the director wasn't trying -- for instance, a scene change that goes from someone hiding as quietly as possible to screeching tires of someone pulling up to a location, or the accidental jump-scare of a friend of the protagonist walking up behind her. All the attempts at using the killer and scenes around the killer to produce tension fail, sometimes in almost laughable ways.

3/10 with an honorable mention to Tom Hanks for showing up in a horror movie and bringing a meta game to a later shower scene by talking about the shower scene in Psycho a few minutes earlier.

Longo_2_guns likes this.
  13. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

Last weekend, I watched the 2016 version of The Magnificent Seven with my wife, which was pretty entertaining overall. So, curious to compare, this past weekend we watched the original The Magnificent Seven, which was overall a very different movie, even though certain scenes obviously inspired some in the newer film, and the characters, while not exact analogs, mostly matched up one way or another. Sometimes blending aspects of two of the original characters to create one of the new ones.

I felt the original had better characterization of all of the main characters, whereas the remake really only focused on a couple of them and the rest of the characters were just along for the ride.

Next week: Seven Samurai, the truly original film. :)

14. NegFactor

NegFactor Novice

To All A Goodnight (1980)

Typical slasher fare with a few neat ideas interspersed. It suffers from two major spoiler-based plot holes, but it's still a nice watch in spite of those things if you dig slashers. 6/10.

15. NegFactor

NegFactor Novice

Carriers (2009)

Chris Pine stars as a jerk that basically causes all the problems for him and his friends in the movie. Also, gigantic, world-tilting plot holes in regard to the disease and how it's handled. Also, great job by Chris Pine making me hate Chris Pine. Also-also-also, what a boring disease. THE END.

2/10 (two points for everyone that isn't Chris Pine)

16. Paul Tamburro

Paul Tamburro Executive Editor
    Staff Member

The Cloverfield Paradox.

It's a very dumb film.

8/10

17. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Dude, I also really liked it. Wild that it has been such a lightning rod for negative headlines and hot takes. I guess because of its unique release. It's just a nonsensical space horror movie with a few fun ideas. Not worth trashing.

18. NegFactor

NegFactor Novice

Spiderman: Homecoming. I liked it. Marissa Tomei was the best. Marvel/10 or 7/10...they're the same score.

19. Paul Tamburro

Paul Tamburro Executive Editor
    Staff Member

It was just a harmless, silly film. Nothing I'd watch again, but it did its job of making the Cloverfield universe more interesting for a lot of people. It's not a patch on 10 Cloverfield Lane and it was far less exciting than the first movie but I had a good time with it.

20. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 the other night. Second time I've seen it since its release.

Man, I love that movie. It's not often that a sequel is superior to the original... in my opinion, anyway.