What do you do for work?

I work at McDonald's as a primary maintenance guy. I get to be alone by myself at nights for a couple hours. Honestly, it's working overnight that's really rough as well as the young teenagers lacking common sense. I don't mind working there, I survive off what I get paid and usually have money left. It's just the word "McDonald's" people associate with being a high school job and something not meant for a career. I'm only saying this due to the ignorance of the people commenting on my local news stations Facebook page.

I'm taking baby steps to get outta there, but I had setbacks. Most places are near the city, which is roughly 25 miles away from me. Wouldn't be a problem for normal people, but it is for me since I lack the transportation to get there. I had a 2003 Chevy Impala I bought off my uncle. He claims he didn't know what was causing the overheating and since I was a complete idiot about cars at the time, I felt it was just a sensor not working properly. I believed him and bought it. It wasn't until a year later (this year) when my car decides not to start. No cranking of the engine or anything. I took it to a mechanic, even though my other uncle is a mechanic himself, and it was diagnosed as a headgasket. I didn't think it was a headgasket either. I researched for signs of a headgasket failure and none of them fit the symptoms except for the overheating. Anyways, I junked the vehicle due to it being more expensive to fix than the car itself.

Right now, I'm saving for another vehicle. This time, I'm more aware and know what to check before buying. It would be easier if I had a credit card, but I don't trust myself with one. Once I get a vehicle, I plan on applying at the Wal-mart distribution center near me. My vo-tech teacher I had back in high school knows a man who is head of HR up there and I would be pretty much guaranteed a job.

Wait...Ugh...I'm confused. You didn't think it was a headgasket issue but you scrapped the car thinking it would be too expensive to fix? Did you get a 2nd opinion from another mechanic?

Yes. I found out how much that cost and found out the cost of my car on KBB. It was totaled.

UghRochester said:
Yes. I found out how much that cost and found out the cost of my car on KBB. It was totaled.

Oh okay. I wasn't sure if you got a 2nd opinion or not to verify that is in fact what it was or something cheaper.

Sorry to hear you're stuck in that situation. Have you thought about getting an auto loan on a newer vehicle? I certainly don't recommend leasing but if you can get a decent interest rate a loan isn't so bad.

Yes, you absolutely don't have to pay cash for a car...Unless your credit score is absolutely trash a credit union should give you a loan.

I don't know how different the US is from australia, but a quick car loan that you pay off correctly (on time everytime, pay the full amount left on the loan off a few months early) is insanely good for your credit score. It's exactly what i did a few years back and tell my friends they should because getting that .1% better interest rate doesn't sound like much until you're talking a $500k home loan.

Just make sure you do things the smart way and only get a loan if you do at least 1/3rd of the overall car value in cash.

The reason why I can't get a car loan is they need a co-signer, since I don't have credit. I don't have a bank, I do in fact use a credit union. Co-signing wouldn't be a problem, but my family has bad credit.

The sooner you get a credit card the better. The only way to build credit. Just get one through the credit union you already are a member of. There are plenty of guides online with easy, safe plans for young people to build their first credit.

Saving up cash just isn't an option for some purchases.

I'm an English teacher for children. I work in a school giving classes and preparing lesson plans and materials for the other teachers; and I also give private lessons. I love my job!!

Oh ffs. Lost my post, again.

Well, you get the short version: I work for the public service, federal. I'm currently a Human Resources Assistant, and have been so for a few years now. Job's pretty alright, but wish it were more structured and more at my level (rather than the majority of tasks being filing or typing up someone's notes). I think of changing jobs to something more fulfilling, but I lack ambition/initiative in that area, so unless it rolls onto my face, it's a far shot.

I could apply for jobs at a 'higher' classification, but even though I'm sure I could do the work, I balance that added responsibility with being able to do ground work and still give feedback without having to put my name on something. I'm a big background worker; I don't want to feel like I have to vie for brownie points and signatures to be recognized as being effective. But as I say, it's only been a few years. Still working my way to being jaded.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod