We need to talk about how Nintendo just rekt their hardware

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by madster111, Jul 10, 2016.

1. madster111

madster111 Rookie

So, yeah. Pokemon GO.

The one little thing that's taken over the world and made the 3DS pointless in less than a week, and if the NX rumors are true, it's made that redundant before it's even launched. Did you know there's some new pokemon games releasing for the 3DS soon?
    Do you now also not give the slightest shit?

Wonder how much more money this has made than any of their other things recently already.

Mark my words, this one little app right now has spelled the end of their portable hardware and in the future they'll see the NX flop while GO makes tens of millions a year and wonder why they bother.

2. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Veteran

Pokemon Go didn't do and won't do shit to the 3DS.

I don't know if you've actually played it, but it's not exactly the deepest game out there. Sure it's fun, but it's massive popularity right now is just a fad, and honestly it might even boost the sales of Sun and Moon when they come out later this year.

3. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

Yeah, I think Pokemon GO is supplemental. Nintendo isn't going to put out a full Pokemon game for phones because that would rek their ship. They can put things like Pokemon GO on mobile to draw in a previously untouched market and attract new players.

Even my sister is playing it. She's never played a Pokemon game until now, and it's all because it's a free app. They're branching out, not shriveling up.

4. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Veteran

I agree with Green_Lantern and De-Ting. This isn't a death seal for Nintendo, it's Nintendo branching out. The only reason Pokemon GO is doing so well is because it's a free application that is kinda fun, and it also pulls on strings that make it addictive, e.g. collection, rarity etc. Who knows how long the fad will last for? And hell, it may even increase sales in future Pokemon games?

5. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

I think the only thing out of this will be Nintendo increasing their phone presence in the future, and finding ways to integrate phone tech into handhelds, minus the calling.

Other than that, they may scale back console business in the long run but considering the Wii U has more or less been an underwhelming cycle for them, I kind of expect that for the NX.

6. madster111

madster111 Rookie

You guys are thinking too much about GO itself.
    It's not about GO, it's pretty much a test to see how reactive the world is to nintendo software on non-nintendo hardware, and the reaction so far is to make international news so hard people don't know turkey is having a civil war.

If you were nintendo right now, would you invest the tens to hundreds of millions to make a successor to the 3DS or would you push out a GO 2 with a cut down RPG experience for <1mil and give it a bunch of microtransactions? They'd probably end up making the same.

7. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

I'm not going to bet against that, but I will bet that they continue developing new hardware and games alongside it. I still believe there are people at Nintendo who are genuinely interested in making video games.