To Switch Pro Controller Or Not, That Is The Question

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Jonathan_Leack, Mar 14, 2017.

?

Is it worth it to buy a Switch Pro Controller?

Poll closed May 13, 2017.
  1. Pro Controller

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Not

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Heck if I know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jonathan_Leack

Jonathan_Leack Former Executive Editor

I'm finding that I actually don't mind the Joy-Con Grip too much, but it's definitely no Xbox One Controller. I'm strongly considering a Switch Pro Controller, and would have already bought one if it wasn't $69.99.

For those of you who have used the controller, what do you think? Is it worth it?

2. Ivory_Soul

Ivory_Soul Highly Motivated Test Subject

Everyone seems to be going this route. Most of the Switch owners on GR have gotten the Pro Controller. It's quite sad to be honest that the controller it comes with doesn't work well.

It's like if you didn't like the Xbox controller and went to go get another one Microsoft made that was better. #1,456 reason to not buy a Switch right now.

3. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I caved in and bought a pro controller.

When playing in docked mode on the TV, I was using the Joy-Con Grip. It feels okay, but not fantastic. I have big hands, and the Joy-Con Grip is a bit small and narrow for my liking.

Normally, pro controllers here are $99.95 AUD (about $74 USD), but I saw them being discounted for $85 AUD ($64 USD). I thought to myself, bugger it, the price probably won't drop much more than that, so I bought one.

I'm digging it. A lot. It really is so much better than the Joy-Con Grip. It's a lot more comfortable in your hands, the joy sticks feel a lot better the the D-Pad is a better, more traditional one.

I dislike the price. In all fairness, it does have a fairly lengthy battery life, rumble, has gyroscopic technology inside it just like the Joy-Cons, and the right analog serves as a reader for Amiibo, again just like the Joy-Con.

If you can safely afford it, then go for it. You honestly don't need one, but it does make a huge difference.

4. Griffin_Vacheron

I could be in the minority here, but I don't use the grip and, at least until Smash comes out, don't plan on getting the Pro either.

I'm all about one Joy-Con in each hand. I loved this setup on Wii with the Wiimote and nunchuk and was worried it'd be gone forever before the Switch was announced. And it's even better now because the two pieces aren't tethered with a wire.

That said, if/when we get Switch Smash I'll want a Pro. Too bad you can't somehow rig the Wii U Pro to work with Switch tho.

5. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I tried going Joy-Cons in one hand each but for me, it didn't work very well. It felt uncomfortable, as the Joy-Cons are a bit too small for my hands.

Playing with the grip is fine, and playing on the actual Switch itself in hand-held mode is fine, but when playing docked with the TV? Go pro, if you can safely afford it.

6. NinjaWrr

NinjaWrr Rookie

I have large hands, and the Pro Controller was a life saver. That right joy con was murdering my thumb.

7. Jonathan_Leack

Jonathan_Leack Former Executive Editor

I just ordered a Switch Pro Controller on Amazon for $33. I have a good feeling I'm being sent a Chinese knock-off orthe Wii U Pro controller. I'll find out next week.

8. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

It's a shame that the WiiU Pro controller isn't compatible with the Switch. I get the reason why not, but it would still be a cool Nintendo thing.

9. Griffin_Vacheron

Agree, Wii U Pro is really nice. Battery life is the best thing going. I think ultimately I'll probably enjoy the layout of Switch Pro more, but in the meantime I do wish I could use WiiUP

10. Josh_Orona

Josh_Orona Community Manager

Ive never been much of a fan of any of Nintendo's new idea controllers I'll be getting a pro controller for sure.

11. Midgard

Midgard Rookie

Joy con is okay, but Pro Con has better range and you will got any de sync. I used to get some when using Joy con.