The Ol' Switcheroo

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by De-Ting, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Jonathan_Leack

Jonathan_Leack Former Executive Editor

It's very awkward, which is a shame.

2. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I primarily play with my Switch in docked mode on the TV. In regards to frame rate drops, yes, I've noticed a couple of drops but in all honesty, it's not enough to make me stop playing or/and complain about it. It hardly hinders my experience.

As for the battery life, I've heard the pro controller lasts up to forty hours. I've never tested this. I find that when I play, I unplug the controller, and then when I'm done with the Switch, I re-plug the controller. I guess that's just the "OCD" in me to keeping the battery full?

The Wii U's pro controller lasted about eighty hours, the Switch is only half of that. To be fair, the PS4 controller is about ten or less.

3. Ivory_Soul

Ivory_Soul Highly Motivated Test Subject

Not quite fair to compare it to the PS4 controller. The PS4 has a speaker, touch pad, and light bar which drains the battery. The Xbox One controller is more fair of a comparison as it lasts around 40-50 hours.

4. madster111

madster111 Rookie

And it does all that with a pathetic 1000mah battery.

Otherwise known as '1/4 the AAs i use in my xbone controller' and '340mah smaller than the switch pro controller which doesn't have LEDs wasting battery constantly in order to do nothing but add glare to your screen'.
    Hence why my PS4 controllers last all of 8 hours in real world use.

If the pro controller can be used as a 360/xbone controller on windows, that would help the ridiculous cost hurt less, because when i used it i liked it better than the xbone.

5. Ivory_Soul

You can say the same about the Wii remote which sucked down AAs and the Wii U touchpad lasted all of 5-6 hours at best. That was if the screen wasn't being used. I remember always turning on my Wii U and the gamepad being dead so I would have to play another console until it charges.

You can use the Pro Controller on Windows, but not natively in games. Nearly every game made since 2008 supports the Xbox controller in some form. You would have to use a controller mapping software to use it.

6. madster111

madster111 Rookie

See, this is annoying. Considering it has the same layout as the xbox controllers (albeit with no analog triggers), i'd prefer it to use Xinput.

7. Ivory_Soul

Well, it is a Microsoft platform. Remember the Games for Windows campaign Microsoft started back in 2007? That evolved into what we have today and part of that campaign was every game with that label had to support the Games for Windows Controller which was the Xbox 360 controller. Now that the driver is built into Windows 10 nearly every game uses it, even indie games. It's fantastic as I have a dedicated Xbox One controller (the new one) and it connects via Bluetooth. Just press the guide button and it's connected.