The Ol' Switcheroo

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by De-Ting, Oct 20, 2016.

1. madster111

madster111 Rookie

This is actually why i preordered a launch one, on purpose. I've bought mine with an eye for the future, from looking at current prices for old nintendo hardware in australia, in 10-15 years a first batch switch complete in box will be worth a fair amount of money, and in the meantime i get to play it. And really there's not any big problems anyway, the wifi is a bit rubbish but at the same time it's no worse than what i've noticed iphones having in the past few years, and the original PS4s can't claim to be any better. At least the switch is bloody ac and can pick up 5ghz.

Oh, they absolutely should have. It's stupid from a business standpoint to go from 2 successful product lines (ignore the Wii U and look at Wii figures) down to one, unless you know for sure it's going to be a huge success. This would mean releasing the switch with BoTW included in the price, with 3 or 4 other 1st party titles at launch with another few announced for the holidays, not this shit lineup and 0 software to play with unless of an additional purchase. Nintendo have said 3DS will continue on, but we all know that's bullshit unless they enjoy cannibalizing their own sales.

There is, however, one big thing that will help the switch: BoTW. It's really, very good and due to the Wii Us stunning lack of success and still high used pricing, the switch is easily the platform to play it on.
    What Nintendo NEED to do is very quickly get the software sorted out and flood the eshop with emulated games for cheap, so that can pick up the slack until some actual games start coming out for it, this is especially true with the switch because it has no software included, out of the box if you didn't buy a game you get jack shit, with the 3DS at least you get AR cards and demos.

As an aside, i worked out my stupid account(s) and have now got everything under the one. My friend code is 'SW-8440-1194-6336', which is an impressively annoying thing to give someone as opposed to just, you know, a fucking username like every other online service ever created.

2. Ivory_Soul

Ivory_Soul Highly Motivated Test Subject

The lack of content WILL kill the Switch. The same thing happened with the Wii U. While I did pick it up 6 months after launch and there was something, the Switch having an empty store is really bad. We all know Nintendo is not fast at releasing emulated game, and no one is going to watch Netflix or stream movies and music off the Switch. They have other devices that already do that. So what CAN Nintendo put on their? They don't exactly have staple proprietary software as they always close it down at the end of a console cycle. I remember booting up my Wii U before selling it and they added less than 50 items to the eShop. That was 2 YEARS after buying.

I know BotW will help sell the Switch, and to be honest, without that game the Switch would not have sold. After BotW dies down in a few months what's left? They need another killer app by Spring or they're seriously screwed.

Thye also need to lay off the crappy indie shovelware that doesn't even make it to PS4 or Xbox. Seriously...who buys that crap? By the end of the year, if there aren't at least a dozen games worth buying the system for I'm out. One great to decent game a month? Not much to ask for. I'm also not talking about ports (looking at your Skyrim).

3. madster111

madster111 Rookie

Tasted the cartridge.

Regret. The initial taste isn't that bad, but the length of time it lingers is pretty horrible.

That's the thing, they absolute need to throw a ton of emulated stuff on there for cheap to try and keep people playing. On the 3DS they have gen 1 pokemon, get that on there with gen 2 and gen 3 and include a bunch of other good GBA games like minish cap, metroid fusion, FF + tactics, etc. It has motion controls, get creative and put the pokemon pinball and warioware games on there.
    The important thing, too, is price. The gen 1 games on the aus eshop are $13aud each, which is too damn high considering i'm sitting on my bed and have right now 3 devices that i can get the roms less legally on in 3 minutes or less (PSP, Galaxy S5, Laptop). We should be talking $5usd / $7aud for GB/GBC games, max.
    Yeah, i've noticed with my 3DS that there's an alarming amount of 99c mobile game tier shit on the eshop, and that really needs to stop.

4. Sightless

Sightless Rookie

Are we back to licking things now? I promise I won't do it. Thank you for confirming.

I do have a Switch now, with Zelda and Bomberman, but not doing anything with it yet. House dynamics are posing problems. Maybe this coming weekend.

5. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Despite a few of the flaws in its design, I really like the Nintendo Switch and am really happy with the purchase. Breath of the Wild is also an incredible game.

In saying that, I won't lie, I am scared for the Switch's future. I don't want a repeat of the Wii (with all the shitty "party" casual games) or the Wii U (with a non-existent library).

I really, bloody hope the Switch gets good games! I also hope the Switch gets good games in the eShop that are worth buying and playing. I'd love to play old Metroid games on the Switch, like Metroid: Fusion for example.

All we can do is wait, honestly. I'm optimistic, but intimidated.

6. madster111

madster111 Rookie

We'll be able to tell how long the switch is going to last by this time next month.

It's all going to boil down to if nintendo get off their asses quickly. If we see 2-3 updates in the coming weeks that add software and settings, while the eshop gets some actual things in it, players will be retained and the 2017 holidays and 2018 will have lots of good 3rd party titles to pick up the slack while nintendo get off their asses a second time and actually make some 1st party games, like they SHOULD have had ready for the damn launch.

If, however, we don't see any real changes to the software in this next month, do a 2nd playthrough of BoTW and then sell the sinking ship.

Imagine an alternate reality for a moment. One in which the switch launched on May 1st, with BoTW running silky smooth in docked mode with a pre-installed demo, a mario odyssey demo pre-installed with a july launch date and a holiday 2017 launch date for pokemon stadium 3 (go integration), fire emblem switch (fe heroes integration) and a metroid game, all combined with a bunch of NES/SNES/GB/C games already on the eshop with GBA and N64 games announced to start releasing around the holidays, with the paid online service up and running straight away so you can immediately download super mario bros and a gameboy game (kirby/metroid 2/links awakening) as the months free games.

This is the alternate reality that would've occurred if nintendo US took over the company so they knew what they were fucking doing for once from a business standpoint

7. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Had a mini heart attack with the Switch, last night. For some reason, the right joycon just dropped out and stopped working. The resolution was simple, just a little annoying. Re-sync the right joycon with the small, circular button on the inside of the controller.

Been playing more Zelda. Goddamn, I love this game.

8. madster111

madster111 Rookie

So i finally got the last of the shit i ordered from EBs, here it is.

Now, i know what you're thinking: 'wow, i wonder if madster regrets spending so much money on pointless shit'
    And the answer to that question is yes.

The only thing in that picture i'd recommend is the carrying case, the headphones are shit, the amiibo are pointless and expensive, the console skin is pointless and a proper glass screen protector is 1/4 the price on ebay, meanwhile the collectors edition is underwhelming.
    Get a switch, a normal copy of BoTW and a glass screen protector plus USB type C cable off ebay, don't worry about the rest of it.

Now i just need to find out if amiibo work through the packaging so i can get my $25au link outfit.
    On the upside of all my money spending, BoTW is great.

9. Ivory_Soul

How are you guys enjoying the Switch undocked in desktop mode with it charging? Oh wait...you can't because they put the charging port at the bottom. I keep seeing videos all over the place to over sights Nintendo had. I also hear the Joy Cons slide out from the tablet with just the slightest press of the release switch.

And the Joy Cons disconnecting like Master_Craig mentioned. That won't stop and because there's not software update yet I have a feeling it's a hardware issue.

Then there's the dead pixel issues I've been seeing. Is this 2005? It's like the PSP all over again.

10. madster111

madster111 Rookie

Desktop mode was made a thing because a marketer saw the port for the microsd and decided they could just lengthen it and then show show a bunch of hip mid 20 year olds of varying nationalities holding tiny, daintly little controllers while pretending they can see a fucking thing on the <7" screen from 1m+ away.

The switch is only used docked or in tablet mode.

As for the joycon slide, i don't have any problems with it. The little button is out of the way so you can't really hit it by accident and they hold pretty solid.

The dead pixel thing is only a problem if nintendo don't replace them. Good news for me and craig is that due to aus law, the switch has a 2 or more year warranty down here (nintendo think they can still use that old 12 month thing, so cute), so if they end up going full 360 and exploding later on, no problem.

11. Ivory_Soul

That's the thing about the dead pixels. Nintendo WON'T replace them. In the States and UK it's a 12 month warranty.

12. madster111

madster111 Rookie

Sure sounds like a nice class action about to happen

13. Ivory_Soul

Doubtful. Sony did it with the PSP. Not saying it's the right thing to do, but I doubt enough people will make a stink about it.

14. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

At one point a certain number of dead pixels was not uncommon in screens like this. For it to be considered faulty (at least for a computer monitor a number of years ago) there usually needed to be some number of dead pixels within a square inch or an overall excessive number of dead pixels.

At this point in time, though, dead or stuck pixels should be pretty rare.

15. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Aside from the wi-fi as well as the right joycon dropping out the one time, I haven't had any problems with my Switch.

The whole... "desktop mode" or whatever it is. I can see the inconvenience, but honestly I don't see why people would want to play like that. For me personally, it would be annoying. If my Switch is out of its dock, it's gonna be in my hands. My evil, grubby, disgusting hands.

16. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

I could see it being somewhat useful for local multiplayer play when you are not at home with the dock. Which is essentially how the initial advertisement showed it being used (not counting the twat on the plane, because who would do that when the slightest bit of turbulence will make your expensive toy fall over!?).

17. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Good call, COMaestro. I didn't even think about that!

18. madster111

madster111 Rookie

19. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I caved in and bought a pro controller. Normally, it's $99 AUD but another shop was selling it at $85 AUD.

It really is so much better.

20. madster111

madster111 Rookie

I was going to buy a pro controller, but then i realized that due to the framerate issues i didn't actually use my switch docked anyway, only ever in tablet mode.

Maybe if they update it so we can lock it to 720p when docked i'll pick one up, i used a mates a few days ago and they're definitely a lot better. What's the battery life like?