The Ol' Switcheroo

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by De-Ting, Oct 20, 2016.

1. yorky

yorky Regular

Preordered on March 3, which just happens to be my birthday. :)

I'm not nearly as pessimistic about this console as many of you seem to be. People keep talking about money wasted on the Wii U, but I have about 15 exclusives and tons of digital content that has made my time with the system feel entirely worthwhile. As for the third parties is has missed out on, most of them have been rated Mature, which I don't play anymore anyways.

Say what you want, but the Wii U has great games. We may just be arguing a difference in taste here. For example, I traded in my Xbox One for a PS4 because I didn't care about any of its exclusives (except for Rare Replay, which is a rehash of old games anyways). And, aside from a few JRPGs, the Switch already has me more excited for it than my PS4. To each his own.

2. Ivory_Soul

Ivory_Soul Highly Motivated Test Subject

Yes, to each their own, and while I'm not going to condemn what you've said here I just want to put my own thoughts into this.

The Wii U is a waste of money for people looking for a certain experience out of it. That is an experience that you would expect with most consoles, the endless library of games that are timeless classics that you can play again and again. Nintendo hasn't released a console like that since the SNES. One could argue the N64 was the last, but I've asked people I know to name ten games on the N64 that weren't on other consoles and weren't made by Nintendo. They can't come up with more than five. The PSP has more classics in its library than the Wii and Wii U combined. Think about that for a minute.

This is the state of Nintendo in general. Their handhelds are dominating the market and the 3DS is stronger than ever, but for just 15 games? I don't see that being worth $350 plus all the accessories worthwhile as most hardcore gamers wouldn't either. Now, if you find that satisfying more power to you.

Second, I find trading one console for another to be an always-losing battle. Keep the Xbox One and buy a PS4. I own all the console from every company because not owning a single one is a losing battle and I'm missing out. The only exception for me is the Wii and Wii U. I owned all of seven games on the Wii U over the course of two years and found it not worth space on my entertainment center. I later replaced it with the PS4 and the Wii was replaced with a PS3.

I'm not completely ruling out the Switch, but 6 launch titles and a highly gimmicky setup? Hmm...sounds familiar. Three strikes and Nintendo is out on this one. If the Switch doesn't launch into outer space they may be done with consoles forever just like Sega. Their exclusive franchises are becoming staler than week-old bread and they haven't innovated a single franchise since Super Mario Galaxy. They lean heavily on their brand name and less on their innovation. Everyone knows they have it but they have to make up costs somewhere and that's pumping out slightly satisfying to mediocre franchises every 3 months because people will keep buying them.

Why do you think there's no F-Zero? One Star Fox and it was a pile of vomit? The last Metroid game was also a sewer sucking leech. Nintendo is only going to pump money into big selling franchises and that's Mario, Zelda, Super Smash Bros, and Pokemon. Everything else gets the back burner. If we see Nintendo finally releasing a rock solid console we will see their innovation come back and more obscure franchises getting rebooted.

People forget it's not about the games, customers, or anything else. It's only about the money and that's what keeps the world turning. Risks and innovation don't buy CEOs and big wigs new Ferraris and thousand acre lots of land. I work for one of the biggest corporations in the world and I'm in a position where I pretty much know what's going on all the way to the top. This is the world works even in the gaming business.

This is why indie games are on the rise, and while there's so much crap out there, we are seeing indie games get praised more than AAA games. Indie developers care about the medium, customers, and industry, but big corporations have everything to lose and that's greed and money. If you refuse to believe (Nintendo fans especially, I'm sorry but "T3h Miyamoto!" isn't always enough to get the top execs to greenlight something) that's tough shit. This is the world we live in.

3. yorky

yorky Regular

What timeless classics are you referring to? Let's stick with current gen: PS4 and Xbox One. As for past generations, I can think of a handful of games that I found interesting, but very few are "timeless," ie., I can't see myself playing them again in 10 years. The exception is often Nintendo games for me, with some classic RPGs. Again, I realize this is subjective, so I'm curious what your examples would be.

I would agree with the argument that the N64 didn't have many great 3rd party games. I can think of a few, but there were certainly more on the Playstation. But I didn't play the P.laystation for their first party games, you know? It's a different beast. I would also like to see your PSP list. I'll try to match your list with my Wii and Wii U list, just to see if you're accurate on your assumption.

This is a minor detail, but I bought my Wii U refurbished for about $250. I haven't spent any money on any accessories the whole time I've had it, as my Wiimotes have been adequate for multiplayer play. And the games I do have are nearly all quality. There are very few I would be willing to part with without having them available to play on something else, which how I judge the quality of a game. The exception would be some of my digital games, but the ones I don't like came from a humble bundle.

Your feelings for trading the Wii and Wii U were my exact feelings over trading my Xbox One. I still have zero remorse for that decision. There's literally nothing on it I want to play that won't be available on the PS4.

I'm with you on a lot of this. Zelda is the only launch title I need, although I may buy Snipperclips down the road. The new Mario does look like it's heading in a favorable direction, although 3D World was still a quality game. I'll be happy if they abandon the New Super Mario Bros. franchise altogether--it's been my least favorite one so far. And I already have the other Nintendo offerings on the Wii U.

I am quite excited over Xenoblade Chronicles 2, however, and I'm open to many of the indies that are coming. Still unsure over Arms. We'll see.

Still, I can actually name a few games that interest me a lot. What came out the first year of the Xbox One and PS4's releases? I mean, we're years down the road right now of the PS4, and I can only name a handful of games that interest me. Meanwhile, I am VERY excited for the BOTW, Xenoblade 2, and the Mario Odyssey. So, while it may be a downer to you, I'm happy with what's coming. Would I like even more? Of course! But the fact that there is less coming doesn't negate the fact that I am legitimately excited for what is coming.

Oh, I believe it. That's a large part of why the gaming world seems to be stagnating as much as it is. Despite what you're saying, though, you have to admit that Nintendo does take more risks than the other guys. I appreciate their willingness to do so. But you are right in that they need the games to back them up.

I'm willing to admit that I'm a niche demographic here--I was raised playing the NES and Super Nintendo, and have had every Nintendo system since. I have also had every iteration of the Playstation and Xbox, with the exception of the PS2. I still always go back to Nintendo, though. Nowadays, as a father of 3, I especially appreciate the more family-friendly games and the easy-to-play but hard-to master dynamics of Nintendo's titles. It makes for very enjoyable playing sessions with my family. Teen games, unless very mild, are primarily reserved for when the kids are in bed, while still leaving time to spend with my wife. This does not give me a lot of time to play them, frankly. And, as I mentioned before, I just don't play Mature games.

So Nintendo is a match for me, particularly lifestyle-wise. They've kept me entertained for years with quality games. And while I'll admit that they have wavered in some regards, they still have a lot going for them.

Here's hoping the Switch can satisfy both of our expectations.

4. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

I just really want the Switch to be something good because the PS4 and Xbox One are utter garbage.

5. Ivory_Soul

Disappointing? Yes. Utter garbage? No. I have a fairly large library of games on each that are pretty amazing.

6. Ivory_Soul

You skipped the PS2? It's the single greatest system of all time. It even tops the SNES in most people's lists. The PS2 has more memorable and fantastic games than any other console in existence with the SNES being the only real rival. That's actually quite shocking and I hope one day you pick up a PS2 and get some of those games!

I was a PlayStation person growing up. I had an SNES and an N64, but I skipped the GameCube and original Xbox. Hell, even the PS1 has more classics than the N64 and GameCube combined. While the N64 wasn't bad at all, it had a lot more shovelware than the PS1 did.

To be fair, I appreciate your adult conversation here, it's really rare on the internet to begin with let alone the gaming community. I have to admit that I understand people being biased towards the systems they grew up with. While I used to be very biased, I just want all the fun games. I will probably pick up a Wii U somewhere in the future when they're under $100 or GameStop is trying to get rid of them. I used to be extremely biased growing up being a hardcore PlayStation and Genesis fan, but I now own everything. All the consoles I missed out on due to bias I have purchased and collected for since.

7. madster111

madster111 Rookie

I don't think Wii U will hit $100.

They sold in too low numbers and never had a price drop, even now in australia you can't get one used for under $300 and everywhere is out of stock.

I'm guessing they'll bottom out around $150 in a few years and then start going back up

8. Ivory_Soul

It will hit under $100 at some point. The Wii is as low as $30 in some places, the Wii U will get there in about 5 years through third party sales, pawn shops, and eBay.

9. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

madster is most likely suggesting average retail price won't drop to $100. It's the damn gamepad, which is the reason I feel it won't drop that low either.

10. madster111

madster111 Rookie

This.

A Wii U by itself costs next to nothing, the gamepad contributes a full 1/2 or more the price of one used and they're also a whole hell of a lot more breakable than the console, meaning now that they're out of production the cost for one of those will drop slower than the bare console.

I seriously don't think you'll be able to get one (console, gamepad, cables) under $150 potentially ever. Maybe at a garage/yard sale when a parent is selling their kids old nintendo, but that'll be rare and you'll be buying one in less than pristine condition.

Then again, maybe the US market is different. I'm going off australian prices and trends, which basically amount to anything old or rareish with 'Nintendo' on it = fat stacks. I have about $400aud worth of gameboys sitting in a box.

11. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

I agree. The Wii was the third best selling console of all time, behind the PS2 and the PS1 (and only barely behind PS1), with over 100 million units sold. Everyone and their grandmother had one, but once the novelty wore off it just sat collecting dust and many people went ahead and sold them, making a large secondary market.

The WiiU, by comparison, has a little over 13 million units sold. That's a lot fewer consoles in the wild and even if every single person who purchased one put it up for sale, I think there still wouldn't be as many of them available for sale today as there are Wii consoles. Rarity will keep the price higher on the secondary market than the Wii ever was, and factor in the gamepad as a necessity for the console and you're looking probably at $150 as a standard used price. $100 if you're lucky.

12. Ivory_Soul

Let me rephrase this. In about 10 years the Gamepads will be so hard to come by that they will be over $100 while the system itself will sell for $50 because people want to get rid of them. Gamepads will be rare and hard to come by especially in good condition. The 8GB consoles will probably be less than $50 and I don't see the 32GB system selling more than $100 by itself.

The Wii is so cheap because there's a surplus out there and the demand isn't there. There's probably 5-10 million Wiis floating around third markets around the world. More so the games. Same goes for PS2 and PS1. They STILL go for under $50 in good condition because there are so many out there.

13. UghRochester

I'm pretty sure the Wii U needs its Gamepad to change console settings. So again, in 10 years I still feel the Wii U will cost over $100 (That's U.S dollars)

14. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Veteran

I got myself a Nintendo Switch on Friday night as well as a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Over the weekend, I've probably spent somewhere between ten to twenty hours or so playing it.

I'm really impressed with the Switch. Size-wise, it's probably just a bit bigger (more so wider) than a 3Ds XL when fully open. It's screen is obviously much bigger. The device is lighter and thinner than the Wii U game pad and is a lot more comfortable to hold in your hands for a long period of time.

For the most part, I play on the TV, simply because I like the bigger screen. In saying that, hand held mode is awesome too and is super easy to do. I have no problems playing hand held mode... I took the Switch with me when I took my partner to the dentist on Friday night, so while waiting for her to get her tooth sorted (took over an hour), I played Zelda. I also play the Switch on hand held mode when I want to be closer to wi-fi, or if we're gonna go out somewhere and I'm waiting on my partner (she takes a while to get ready if we're going out somewhere), or if she's doing her studies and I wanna play without distracting her. Transitioning from TV to handheld via the Switch's dock is really easy, too.

The screen itself on the Switch is beautiful. Not quite as good as your TV, but 720p resolution... responds just like a phone's touch screen. I really like it. On TVs, the Switch (or Zelda at least) plays at 900p.

I have noticed some frame rate drops when playing on the TV (and when going hand held, none at all) but in saying that, these frame rate issues aren't that noticeable and they don't determent the game play at all, so there's nothing to complain about here, really.

Not a fan of those motion, gyroscopic controls... so I turned them off (in Zelda, anyway).

As for the controllers... the joycons feel fine. I don't understand how they feel "cheap" as some people have described. In all honesty, trying to use the joycons like using a Wii-mote and nunchuk does feel weird (basically, taking the joycons off the screen and holding them individually in my hands). I have big hands, so for me, it feels uncomfortable.

I generally play the Switch either with the joycons docked into the screen for handheld or, I plug the joycons into that controller mold that you get with a Switch, which feels fine. I have tried a pro controller (I don't have one, a friend does) and it feels so awesome... but I don't want to spend $100 for one just yet.

The price does feel steep for a Switch... it's an expensive kit. If you get one, it's highly recommended that you get a screen protector, as apparently, people without one have been scratching their Switch's screen when docking/undocking the Switch. Also, don't put console sticker things on your Switch, apparently it ruins the surface of the Switch (with the exclusion of the official Nintendo Zelda one, that one will be fine). I got myself a thick wallet carry case for it too.

So far, I'm loving this thing, but I do hope that more games come out for it and not just a possible one hit wonder of Zelda, despite how damn good that is.

15. UghRochester

Have you licked the cartridge? Apparently Nintendo added a protective coating on the carts to prevent children from putting it in their mouth.

16. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Veteran

Haha, no I haven't.

A friend of mine did it and yeah, apparently they taste super bad.

I heard it was to deter children from putting the cartridges in their mouths. Clearly, it hasn't stopped adults.

17. madster111

madster111 Rookie

So we can agree the little plastic thing included to turn the joycons into a controller is actually kinda horrible, yeah? I foresee myself shelling out even more money to get a damn pro controller in the future, gonna try and get one from the US because shit's price be steep man.

One thing i noticed straight away is that the switch's wifi is weak as all shit. Same location as my laptop getting 4/5 bars and my phone getting 2-3, it can't connect at all. So when i need to update things, i get to hang around downstairs near my router, it won't actually work in the dock upstairs.

Also, why is the software so barren? No internet browser, no mii things, the eshop has like 5 things on it. Going from a 3DS to the switch doesn't inspire confidence.

18. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Veteran

The peripheral that comes with the console to give your joycons your own kind of "controller" is okay. It's not shit, but it's okay.

A pro controller though is honestly a hell load better.

I agree, the price of the pro controller is damn steep. $99 AUD ($75 USD). Goddamn. Cheapest I've seen is $89 AUD from CatchoftheDay.com.au

I've noticed that the Switch's wi-fi is kinda bad. I'm gonna try it out today in the lounge room closer to the wi-fi and see if that works. I kinda wanna get the Ethernet cable accessory, but I don't wanna pay $50 for it. Sure I can find cheaper online.

Edit: Just had a look... the Switch isn't compatible with all USB to Ethernet adapters. It can at the very least take the Wii U one, which is a bit cheaper than the Switch.

19. madster111

madster111 Rookie

I also don't know what people are talking about when they claim it to feel cheap, feels a whole hell of a lot higher quality than the xbone/ps4 controller. The unit itself especially feels chunky, it's a lot heavier than you'd expect from a 6.5" tablet but with the controllers i think that's a good thing, less likely to be treated like a toy.

I got all the official zelda accessories and was planning to keep it all sealed to sell with the console for fat stacks later, but the flimsy-ish feel of the screen and the reports of scratches is making me want to scrap that plan, it should've been proper phone glass.

Also need to get another type c cable so i can charge it outside of the dock.

I'd also like to complain about how it makes you set up an account for the console when you first turn it on, and then your nintendo account turns out to be separate. So now i have 'Bevin' (with a picture of zelda) and 'MattVRX' (add me? is friends a thing yet?) and i don't know if i can use saves on either or if i download shit i'll need to switch between accounts or what the hell. Why is nintendos account system still so bad, i remember this being annoying back in the damn DSi days

On the flip side, though, that thing the joycon does where it automatically tries to connect when it's moved, so it's connected pretty much instantly when you pick it up without you needing to press a button?
    Yeah, there's no reason for the PS4 controller not to do that and it's one of those nice little things that just makes everything better.

20. Ivory_Soul

All of this is why I'm glad I'm waiting until the end of the year. By then the production units are out of the stores and small little hardware things will be fixed like updated receivers, bluetooth, wifi, etc. A lot of what I'm seeing is that the console is very innovative hardware wise but is lacking content and needs some improvements. This is the EXACT same thing that people said about the Wii U and it scares me. Like really scares me

After everyone finishes the launch titles by the end of March we will see used consoles in the stores and if Nintendo doesn't get the ball rolling with releases then it's the Wii U all over again. I have yet to see the massive third party ship sail for the Switch and that also frightens me.

Bottom line: I don't want another Nintendo console to collect dust on my shelf for 6-12 months until the next good game comes out.

Before I get flamed I play my 3DS constantly. I'm always finding games to play on it. I also own a PS4 AND Xbox One as well as many other Nintendo consoles. I WANT a Nintendo home console to dominate the market again like it did back with the SNES. Will we get another SNES from Nintendo? Probably not, but I don't think the Switch is it.

I still think Nintendo should release a standard disc-based console with a normal controller. It sounds silly, but KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. The Switch just feels forced. It doesn't feel like a natural progression. Nintendo is trying too hard to distance themselves from Sony and Microsoft. They did it perfectly with the DS. Innovative, yet still really familiar in which it felt like a natural progression. Going from the GameCube to playing games with TV remotes was really awkward. It was even worse when they took that and fused it with a giant DS on steroids. Now we take essentially a gaming tablet and slap controllers on it....just what?! (Which was actually done first by Razer and they were very unsuccessful with it) I know Nintendo can do it.