The Ol' Switcheroo

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by De-Ting, Oct 20, 2016.

1. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

The Nintendo NX was just revealed to be the Nintendo Switch.. As some people suspected, it's essentially a portable console that has a docking station to hook it up to your TV.

According to the video, it features:
    • * Detachable wireless controller halves on both sides of the system
      * Cartridge games akin to 3DS
      * New WII U Pro-style controller
      * A kick stand
      * Skyrim Remastered
      * NO touch screen(?)
      * A headphone port

That's about as much as I remember.

2. madster111

madster111 Rookie

Yeah man it's pretty good

[​IMG]

3. StudioTan

StudioTan Regular

Kickstart my hearrr....... oh wait... kickstand!! errrmmm

Ooh, Kickstand, you got loose and I threw up!

Question is: Will you make the Switch?

4. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

It's very innovative.

There are often moments when I play a game on console, go to bed and then think, "I can play a bit more right now y'know", but am too lazy to move!
    Well with this I can take the console game to bed with me! So that's a great idea.

Clever work on its controllers too - 2 controllers in one essentially. Have to buy the extra one every time nowadays.

Potential problem I see are its launch titles. Needs something big to help it spring off its launchpad.

5. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

Leave to madster to automatically make fun of it. I can't tell due to the viewpoint of the TV screens showcasing Zelda during the trailer, but it didn't look like it was outputting 720p like what the Wii U will probably be getting. That said, it might be a more powerful system compared to the Wii U. Not shown in the trailer is Nvidia announcing it is using a customized Tegra GPU.

6. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

....^.....is that good haha?

7. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I think it looks pretty cool, but then again, I thought the same thing about the Wii, and the Wii U, so I am being cautious this time.

8. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

It's definitely innovative, but in a way that seems functional and useful this time, whereas I feel the gamepad of the WiiU was vastly underutilized. I never had interest in the WiiU, but this looks promising to me.

It is funny, though, that Nintendo's stock dropped 6.5% AFTER the announcement. I guess a lot of people don't think the Switch is a good idea.

9. madster111

madster111 Rookie

Of course a lot of people don't think the switch is a good idea, nintendo have already tried this shit in the past (wiiu) and we all know how that went for them.

People were looking for them to announce a nice, new proper console that plugs into your TV and has half decent power with a proper controller that you can buy a few of so you can game with your friends, combined with a new handheld 3DS successor as different product lines, not for the braindead fools to combine the 2 ensuring you get none of the benefits of either. The best part is, it's not even going to be fucking cheap. The Wii sold so well because it was priced low and you could buy a few controllers and play with friends, they're making the exact same mistakes as the Wii U all over again.

They can no longer release a new portable console without pissing switch owners off and they can't compete with the PS4P or Scorpio in terms of power, which means their new competition is... What? Bloody Apple?
    Do they really think they're going to compete with the install-base established $1.99 mobile market with games that cost $120aud? Why the FUCK would i spend $400-600 on a new tablet that only runs nintendo games? Does it dual boot android? Is it running some form of theoretical super-tegra and does native 4K @ 60 while being sold as a massive loss-leader?

The only people who are going to buy the switch are the people who bought a WiiU, delusional nintendo fans thinking that 2 or 3 half decent 1st party games makes an entire console purchase worthwhile. Everyone else is gonna buy an ipad like they've already been doing and buying a 3DS emulator for it.

This is a completely stupid idea and mark my fucking words, is going to be the death of nintendos hardware side. Stock has dropped 6.5%, look for it dropping more and more as details of the shit battery life (calling it now - under 5 hours with low backlight levels) and lack of 3rd party support comes along.
    AMDs stock fucking WENT UP when it was announced they weren't involved in the switch, that should tell you all you need to know.

10. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Untwist those knickers buddy...just don't buy it.

11. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

This looks completely different from the WiiU. Nintendo is not making the same mistakes they did with the WiiU. Their major mistake with that was poor advertising. No one knew what the hell it was, and most people just assumed it was an accessory for the Wii, which had already been relocated to a dusty, barely seen shelf at the time by most people.

Nintendo is being very clear here that this is a new product, and it has LONG been rumored to be some kind of console/portable hybrid, and lo and behold, it is! It is a portable tablet that can connect with your television and it already includes two controllers for local multiplayer play. They have secured third party support which will continue as long as the system actually sells. The WiiU didn't sell for the reasons I stated above, so the third parties pulled out then. Having a different message and some actual advertising rather than riding on the coattails of the Wii's success, Nintendo should actually be able to sell the Switch, and moved units will mean continued third party support.

So the Switch may not set the world on fire, but I think it will sell better than the WiiU ever did

12. Jonathan_Leack

Jonathan_Leack Former Executive Editor

How much did that setup cost you? Maybe we can speculate how expensive the Switch will be. /s

13. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

I thought it was cool how versatile the controllers were. But I shudder to imagine trying to game with the tiny half piece. Hopefully they don't spend too much time porting the same garbage we've been playing for the last five years elsewhere.

14. madster111

madster111 Rookie

So details are coming out about how powerful the switch is, and things are NOT looking good.
    Based on old architecture (maxwell) combined with low clockspeeds that clock down again when on battery power to try and conserve it (netting still 5-6 hours) means it's going to look like shit on all these 4K TVs that are really getting common and cheap.

This would be fine - if the console itself was cheap, or if it was a pure handheld, or if it had decent looking controllers for TV gaming, or if it launched 3 years ago with the other potatoboxes. Next year, though, when competing with the scorpio and a priced dropped PS4P Slim? Nah.

Nintendo 3rd party developer 2020 confirmed.

15. Master_Craig

Staff Member

While I am looking forward to the Nintendo Switch, I was a bit concerned when I saw that Skyrim is being released on it.

I mean sure, I love Skyrim... but I'm not going to buy the game again. Considering it's five years old, I don't know what a five year old game is doing as a third party title.

16. cyberjim2000

cyberjim2000 Veteran

Is it the Special edition of Skyrim? Cause that's a month old (an upgrade of a five year old game).

17. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Good point.

I actually have no idea, so in saying that, I'm hoping it's the Special Edition.

18. cyberjim2000

cyberjim2000 Veteran

Well, even so. I hope it won't be like a Command and Conquer situation for me. I mean, I brought C&C like three times already.

19. Colin_B

Colin_B Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

20. madster111

madster111 Rookie

Honestly, the entire concept was daft to begin with. Replacing both product lines with one just means that if you have 1 failure you have nothing but failure, at least when they had the Wii U and 3DS at the same time, the Wii U flop didn't hit as hard because the 3DS has been a pretty big success.

This thing is going to be a massive commercial failure unless they seriously pull something out of their ass, because right now it's a 2 year old android tablet with some buttons taped on the side and HDMI out.

I, for one, hope they don't pull something out of their ass. If Nintendo break apart, something not run by morons can snap up the hardware division and make something to keep Sony and MS on their toes while the games side can focus on making good games as a 3rd party without being held back by gimmicks or weak hardware. Imagine if Breath of the Wild was being developed for the Scorpio, imagine how incredible it would look and feel in 4K @ 60 with fully independent grass and hair physics rather than the 720 @ 30 (with fixed physics) it's looking like the switch is targeting when handheld.