The End?

Do you like your games to end?

• Yes. It's nice when a story gets a worthy end.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. I want to see other games aswell.

• No. I don't like stories. I just want good gameplay.

• No. I'll play them till I get bored.

• No. I'll play them till I die!

• Total voters

Haydi

Rookie
(edit: Mainly concerning games with a story)
Do you prefer your games with or without an end? Games like WoW and many other internet games advertise theirselves "neverending". (Some MMORPG did have this slogan) They keep evolving, so you can just continue playing them for as long as you get tired to it (if you get tired...) Also non-rgp games like Counterstrike might be good, but there isn't a nice end in there, where I know I'm done.

For me, this "neverending" in games isn't really a good feature. Of course I am in some sense sad, when a good game gets completed. I don't really like playing games through again and again, so that's it for that game for a good while. In other sense I enjoy, if the story gets a worthy end. I wouldn't like a game to go on forever, becouse it must get boring and repetitive someday (mustn't it?). After the game is finished I can move on to conquering other games.

And I also just like finishing games. Even games like Shadow of Memories(I believe Shadow of Destiny in US?) are pretty enjoyable, even though it got finished completely with all endings in a weekend. (Not really an achievement. It just was that short) The story was so well put together, so it was like a nice little film. Games like WoW must be good games, but if they go on forever, I really can't finish the story, or can I?

The question isn't exactly fair though... some games (I'm thinking SimCity style games) are designed to go on forever, with no end. They have no set "story"... they end when the player decides to end them.

You do have a point. Maybe I should exclude purely tactical games like Simcity or Tetris. But if these are mainly the type of games you play, maybe you should choose that gameplay oriented alternative. (also some FPS like Counterstrike)

However, as far as I know, games like WoW and some other MMORPG do have a story that can go on forever due to many many sidquests and can also have many alternative main stories. (Correct me if I'm wrong, becouse my PC can't actually play WoW...)

I love a game with a good, deep story (Silent Hill anybody?), with a truly beautiful ending (Silent Hill... *cough*)
But, once it's over, I wish it wasn't. You can only play a game for the first time once. Every time after, it's not new, you've already played it, and the magic of the story from the first playthrough is gone.
So I wish I could have a game with a great story, awesome ending, that never ends.. if that makes any sense at all (hint: it doesn't).
Same with a TV series that I really start to enjoy, I know it's going to end eventually, and once it's ended that's it, it's over, and the magic I'm experiencing now (whether it's a TV show or a game) I will never be able to experience again.
And that's a depressing idea for me.

I like both. What I dont like about MMOs is that they do get boring after a while as it is possible for you do everything there is to do in the game. I love playing em up till that point, though. The neverending games I really like are the sims and simcity. You just can grow larger and larger and there is no true end to these games. I can still load up these games and have fun with it.

Now if I want to sit back and experience a good story I want a game with a good ending. I wouldnt even game on a console if these type of games didnt exist. MGS3 is a good example of these type of games. It wasnt so long that I got frustrated at the fact it would never end, and the ending was a real nice end to the experience. I still have yet to play that game a 2nd time through, but I dont mind as I really enjoyed the first time. To me gaming isnt like a book where I can read a good one over and over... since gaming isnt passive I am not as eager to play a game again just to experience the story (which is one of the reasons I liked shenmue so much... I could just watch the cutscenes on the passport disc), so I really dont get dissapointed when its over.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133