Steam vs Everyone else. Which do you game on?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Josh_Orona, Jul 28, 2017.

?

Which gaming service do you game on?

1. Steam

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Battlenet

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Galaxy (GOG.com)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Uplay (Ubisoft)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Origin (EA)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Green Man Gaming

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I use them all!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. None I buy my games in box.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Josh_Orona

Josh_Orona Community Manager

Unless you've been living under a rock most PC gamers and even console gamers know of steam and giant impact it has on the gaming world. We see it as pc's gaming dashboard equal to or better then PSN and Xbox live. As it is known now steam is hands down the leader of pc game distribution and concurrent users. So it beings up the question. Can other company's wedge there way into the market, company's like EA (Origin), Ubisoft (Uplay), Blizzard (Battlenet), Green Man Gaming, GOG.com (Galaxy), and Humble? Alternative services to AAA, indie and nostalgia games. Games that are still the same game but yet we feel need to be in our steam collections rather then just needing to be played. We pay a little extra at times for that pleasure of seeing it on our steam gaming list.

So my question to the community is this. Does steam have such a monopoly over pc gaming that it's almost foolish to try and compete with or do you buy games from any service because it's the game you wish to play, and price content and overall satisfaction of playing it out weighs the collector side of you? Which do you game on?

2. Starling

Starling Novice

I use Steam, GOG Galaxy and Origins.

I use Steam because it's comfortable, it has rich features and great community.

I use GOG Galaxy because I sometimes buy games from GOG and don't want to tie them to Steam. Actually, I don't use Galaxy much at all after downloading the games through it.

I use Origin because I am forced to. It sucks. It doesn't get better. It has no community.

Josh_Orona likes this.
  3. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Veteran

I don't game much on my PC anymore, but when I do, it's mostly Steam.

Sometimes it's UbiPlay or EA Origins, it really just depends on the game I buy/play.

Josh_Orona likes this.
  4. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

I purchase most of my games on GOG, but I don't use Galaxy. I like that I can just download a game and never have to worry about connecting to the internet to keep it licensed or whatever. Steam used to be like that, maybe it has changed, don't know and don't care. I've got a few games on Steam but pretty much never play them, same with Battlenet. I don't really have any interest in socializing over a gaming service, I pretty much only game for solo entertainment and rarely do multiplayer games anymore.

Josh_Orona likes this.
  5. cyberjim2000

cyberjim2000 Veteran

I use them all except GMG. I remembered reading the Half Life 2 review on GR back in 2004 and the reviewer questioned if we should let Valve get away with bundling Steam with Half-Life 2. Seems like he was right about different publishers wanting their own launcher services.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Josh_Orona and Starling like this.