Progress Report - Early 2012

Hey guys,

It's been a little over a year since I've been here, and a lot has changed. I know we've had threads going suggesting more changes, but that seems to have slowed down. I assume it's because you think everything is perfect and don't have anything to say anymore :twisted:

We still have more things we're tweaking, mostly internal stuff, but I wanted to reach out to GR's most dedicated to find out if there is anything else you'd like to suggest. And check to see if everyone is liking the changes we've made thus far, if you're happy with the editorial direction, etc.

Feel free to bring any feedback to this thread. It can be on editorial, site design, the podcast, anything really.

Come at me bros!

De-Ting said:
Change....the white.....BACKGROUND!!!

Oh how I knew this would be the first suggestion. I could feel it in my bones. I'm glad we're getting this out of the way.

I will bring this up again.

Just for my own curiosity, why is this so important to everyone? One or two different responses will do, I don't want the entire thread to get hijacked if everyone wants to chime in on this. But really, why so serious of a thing?

I can probably wrap it all up for ya.

1. It physically hurts to look at. Some of us are using crappy monitors with poor contrast ratios, and the white is really, really bright. This whole site is about reading text, and when your eyes start straining after two sentences, it makes things difficult. I survived this by wearing shades, drastically lowering the brightness on my monitor, and eventually using a tool in Firefox (thanks Chris_Crime) that allows you to change the colors on websites. But we really shouldn't have to do all of this. It isn't a matter of preference in this case, but physical comfort.

2. It may be mainstream these days, but in reality, it's a design flaw. White background with black text is the epitome of "we're lazy and unimaginative." Not trying to take stabs at whoever decided to go with it, but just know that you're doing a really good job of looking bland to the average visitor.

Nah dont change it. It wont be in keeping to the rest of the site if you change it back. I'm used to it now too.

...What's that glow on the horizon?...

moviemob.jpg

Changes to the site?....I cant think of any for now. Maybe video reviews? The GRind just came in, would be cool if video reviews could come in too...maybe incorporate the two?

De-Ting said:
White background with black text is the epitome of "we're lazy and unimaginative." Not trying to take stabs at whoever decided to go with it, but just know that you're doing a really good job of looking bland to the average visitor.

Agreed. I visit this site mostly while I'ma t work and the white background makes it hard to keep my browsing on the DL.

Also,
funny_animated_gif_9992.gif

Flash embedding seems to be the case.

This is probably too much coding and most likely have to team up with Facebook, but maybe you can make comments connected to Facebook? If you seen ThinkGeek's site, the comments can be made and shared via Facebook. I can't remember who complained (probably me) about not getting any notification from replies in the comments. Of course, this is only a suggestion.

UghRochester said:
This is probably too much coding and most likely have to team up with Facebook, but maybe you can make comments connected to Facebook? If you seen ThinkGeek's site, the comments can be made and shared via Facebook. I can't remember who complained (probably me) about not getting any notification from replies in the comments. Of course, this is only a suggestion.

Isn't that what RSS feeds are for?

Green_Lantern said:
UghRochester said:

Isn't that what RSS feeds are for?
Pshh! Who uses RSS feed nowadays?

Love this GIF.

So, no one has much anything to say about the editorial direction. Everyone is cool with that?

@Eyebrows - Y U NO like star grade?

@Ugh & everyone else - would you guys WANT to log in with Facebook/Twitter/etc? This is possible and is an idea that has been tossed around. But we fear it may put people off who don't want to expose their true identities (all you super villains and super heroes). But if you're cool with it, we can make this happen. I don't know if it would extend to the forums, but definitely the comments.

@everyone - keep the replies coming. The more you say, the more action we can take. And the more we will hold horrible grudges against you and one day take our revenge against you... when you least expect it.

UrbanMasque said:
De-Ting said:
White background with black text is the epitome of "we're lazy and unimaginative." Not trying to take stabs at whoever decided to go with it, but just know that you're doing a really good job of looking bland to the average visitor.

Agreed. I visit this site mostly while I'ma t work and the white background makes it hard to keep my browsing on the DL.

Also,
funny_animated_gif_9992.gif

Cool, your pop-up didn't pop-up! Anyways, I don't mind it (protecting the identity). Perhaps it could be both if possible. People who care about their responses can sign in via Facebook and Twitter and those who like to protect their identity (De-Ting, looking at you even though you have Facebook) could sign-in on GR and leave comments?

Oh and for editorial. I'm glad I can see the grades on the reviewer's profile page. I dislike the GR Logo (numeral) system. So, I don't care if that's the system, as long as I can see the grade for the review in the reviewer's profile page. I'm cool with it.

The Man said:
@Ugh & everyone else - would you guys WANT to log in with Facebook/Twitter/etc? This is possible and is an idea that has been tossed around. But we fear it may put people off who don't want to expose their true identities (all you super villains and super heroes). But if you're cool with it, we can make this happen. I don't know if it would extend to the forums, but definitely the comments.

Nah, the current log in works fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod