Dismiss Notice
We are preparing to migrate this site to SSL (https login). For Details and Support Visit: Migration to SSL

No Original Sin 2,No Nier:Automata,No Dragon Quest XI,Nintendo Premature Ejaculation Habit Continues

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Grump, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Grump

Grump Rookie

What the hell is wrong with this company ? They ejaculated prematurely with Wii U, having only Super Mario 3D World, Breath of The Wild and Bayonetta 2 as critically-acclaimed games, now Switch only has Super Mario Oddysey ? They seem to be unwilling to port other highly-regarded games unto Switch, hell, even Dragon Quest XI, which is supposed to be an easy catch, slipped through their fingers. Adding salt to the wound is no Red Dead 2, eventhough RockStar developed Chinatown Wars for 3DS once, Nintendo seem reluctant to continue the cooperation. Surely they don't rely on Pokemon Go to survive, do they ?

Somebody please tell me whether this is conceit , or nintendo has finally capitulated ,and will cease to be console developer like Sega ?

2. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

I'm going to have to disagree with you on some points here and I'm confused by what point you are trying to make. The Wii U had other critically-acclaimed games, like Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Super Smash Bros. Wii U, and Super Mario Maker. Admittedly all 1st party titles, and though Bayonetta 2 wasn't 1st party, it was exclusive to the Wii U.

You seem to be complaining that Nintendo isn't raking in the 3rd party support. But, after the SNES, when have they ever? While each console has received some AAA 3rd party support, it's been petering out since the N64. Nintendo continues to do its own thing with its hardware, usually meaning it is a very different architecture and, more importantly for developers, less horsepower than Xbox and PS, so a lot of big name developers don't want to bother with trying to port their AAA games to it. Or what AAA does get ported is so many years old that most people have already played those games and won't repurchase them. I don't think the lack of ports on the Switch is entirely Nintendo's choice, but rather often it's the developers who decide the costs of doing such a port outweigh any gains to be made.

While Breath of the Wild came late to the WiiU, and I think most people associate it with the Switch as it was a launch title for it, so that's another critically acclaimed game for the Switch and I don't know why you'd associate it with the Wii U over the Switch. The system has only been out for about a year and a half and highly anticipated titles like Smash Bros., Metroid, and Bayonetta have been announced.

However, you know what the Switch does have? Pretty much every popular and highly regarded indie title imaginable. And there are definitely some very popular 3rd party titles like Fortnite on there. But for years Nintendo has really only existed on its fanbase, and they are mostly interested in the 1st party content. Good 3rd party content was just a bonus. Now there's a ton of 3rd party support through indie titles, in a time when a lot of people are becoming dissatisfied with some of the bigger AAA publishers. This can only help Nintendo in the long run.

Nintendo seems to be content with being the accompaniment console, the one you get in addition to PS or Xbox. So I think Nintendo will continue doing their own thing for the foreseeable future.

3. Grump

Grump Rookie

Mmmh, good 2nd / 3rd party titles are not bonuses for Nintendo consoles, they are essential, Resident Evil 4 carried GameCube, Xenoblade Chronicles carried the Wii, Bayonetta 2 carried the Wii U, and Fire Emblem : Awakening carries the 3DS. It's just the case of Nintendo overestimating their worth, and not giving 2nd/3rd party devs the recogniztion due.

It also happens with Sony not acknowledging Persona series enough, that it carries the PlayStation brand ,but with God of War, Witcher III, i can't complain about the support Sony gives from gaming aspect (the only important aspect) to the PS, not the same thing can be said about Nintendo, they think they are the star of the show for their consoles eventhough they are not, and disregarding the 3rd party developers by not giving the recogniztion they deserve.

4. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

Are you trolling? RE4 carried the GameCube? Xenoblade Chronicles carried the Wii?

RE4 was popular, no doubt, but in sales it trailed behind games like Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Kart Double Dash, Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, and only managed to outsell one of three Mario Party titles. Notice a theme of 1st party titles here? And I don't mean trailed right behind, either, all of these sold at least a million more copies worldwide than RE4, and most of them well over two million more copies.

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/29/gamecube/

You know where Xenoblade shows up on a chart of top selling Wii games? 178th place. Xenoblade Chronicles is well below nearly every 1st party Nintendo game in sales. Hell, it got outsold by Monopoly. MONOPOLY!

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/2/wii/

Like RE4, Bayonetta 2 was definitely a popular title, but once again, nowhere close to carrying the console, selling under a million copies worldwide compared to the usual suspects, Mario Kart Wii U, New Super Mario Bros. U, and Super Smash Bros. Next, all of which sold over 5 million copies. Heck, the Zelda: Wind Waker remaster outsold it by over a million copies.

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/47/wii-u/

And just to round out the list, Fire Emblem shows up in 29th place for the 3DS, well below every Pokemon game, Monster Hunter game, Zelda game, and the majority of games with Mario somewhere in the title. And I feel it important to note that the Fire Emblem developer, Intelligent Systems, is almost a Nintendo property, having only released games for their consoles and actually starting out headquartered inside Nintendo's Kyoto Research Center, so in my mind it really doesn't count as a 3rd party title anyway.

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/42/nintendo-3ds/

So I'm afraid it's not Nintendo overestimating their worth, but you underestimating it. The Mario Kart and Smash Bros. games always sell at least somewhere between 5 to 7 million copies each (Wii being the exception at 35 million for Mario Kart and almost 13 million for Smash Bros.)

EDIT: I will also note that I'm not a Nintendo fanboy and have not owned one of their consoles since the Wii, though I did get both the NES and SNES minis (at retail price).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  5. Grump

Grump Rookie

You're out of your mind when citing sales for influence. A game doesn't make an impression through sales, but through quality, whether or not it stands the test of time.

You're not going to to mention Top Gun as the movie that influenced the 80s, as well as Jurassic Park that influenced the 90s most. That's what you did when comparing trash like PokeMon and Super Smash to Xeonblade and RE 4. Games like Xenoblade , RE 4, FE: Awakening and Bayonetta 2 are what make gamers invest for Nintendo's next consoles, along with 1 party titles like Super Mario Galaxy.Let's admit that Zelda hasn't been good since Ocarina of Time and Metroid Prime was the last good Metroid, those are the Scorsese-Kurosawa-Spielberg games, the games that stand the test of time,and not some scrubs like Smash or PokeMon. You think Switch Smash will compete with MGS V : Phantom Pain and Witcher III and CyberPunk 2077 ? Wise up. The same goes with Sony: Persona 4, Shadow of The Colossus, Persona 3 , Okami carried PS2 (along with FFX, Vice City and San Andreas) eventhough their 'sales' might not be that impressive, they did gargantuan to the brand PlayStation and gaming,just like Ran,Schindler's List and hThe Lives of Others did to movie,eventhough their sales are small.

And who the hell uses VGChartz in this day and age ? Don't tell me you're using Internet Explorer,too.

6. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

You sound like one of those pseudo intellectual gamers that insist on only playing games with a metacritic score over 95, the worst type of gamer. And your argument takes a hit when you’re trying to say Persona 4 carried the PS2 even though it released 2 years AFTER the PS3 launched and the PS2’s life cycle was pretty much over.

Nintendo does just fine for itself even with the not so great track record of third party game support. Hell, you mention that “trash” Pokémon but it’s probably the biggest video game franchise in the world, possibly only behind the Mario franchise.

7. Grump

Grump Rookie

What happens , if a parent watches his/her daughter becoming a drug addict ? Would he/she say "You're doing just fine, you're on the right track. If one or two things don't work,we'll work it out together" ?. F, no. he/she will be worried to death, probably taking her to one or two detox clinics, waiting patiently for years for her betterment, or no betterment at all.

You patting Nintendo on the back won't help their survival, let me tell you that. Sometimes tough love is what is needed to straigthen people up. Sony got the bitter taste of awakening medicine last gen with the complete failure of PS3, Can Nintendo follow up ,and learn from past mistakes, of others and themselves ? is the million dollars question.