Looking to upgrade PC

Discussion in 'PC' started by Master_Craig, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you serious, Lethean? Wow.

That's one of the reasons I love this community. Great people.

I'll send you a PM very shortly, Lethean.

2. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

I was thinking about suggesting it, too. Props to Lethean for actually offering.

3. madster111

madster111 Rookie

How desperate are you to upgrade?

Because like i said, your current build can run GTA V pretty well, and the AMD R9 3xx series is set to release in June/July, this will have the effect of dropping the price out of the market all round and generally being a better time to buy anything, amd or nvidia.
    Hell, you could probably pick up an R9 290 on clearance or a used GTX780 for $300

4. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Hm... tempted to wait a little and see what comes along in terms of pricing. We'll see how it goes. I've sent Lethean a PM regardless.

5. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Wow, bloody hell. So I still want to upgrade my computer, but damn I haven't really made a move on it.

Yesterday I finally got off my arse and cleaned out my PC, literally. I took it outside, got a brand new can of compressed air, opened up my PC and went to town on it. There was an absolute shit load of dust in there it was incredibly ridiculous... need to clean it out more often. Regardless, it's been done and the fans run so much better now. Much quieter.

I also bought and downloaded AVG Pro... using it to further optimize my PC and get rid of so much clutter inside the computer. Now it's running a lot faster.

Just a refresher, here are my current PC specs, which remain unchanged:

-Case: Antec DF30 Dark Fleet Case with Card Reader
    -Power supply: Hytec/Hipro Heavy Duty Low Noise 850W Power Supply
    -Processor: 2nd Generation Intel i7-2600 Core i7 QUAD Core 3.4 GHz, LGA1155 CPU
    -Motherboard: ASRock (Asus) Z68 EXTREME4 Gen3, PCle 3.0, SATA3, USB 3.0, SQUAD SLI, 7.1CH Audio
    -Cooler: Thermaltake ISGC 300 Low Noise CPU Fan & Heatsink
    -Graphics: nVidia Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card
    -DVD/CD: LG SATA 24 Speed Dual Layer DVD Burner
    -HDD: Seagate 1 Terrabyte SATA 3 HDD
    -RAM: 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 G.Skill/Elixir Memory

Judging by people's responses here... I'm pretty sure the only thing I really need to upgrade is my graphics card, given that it's four years old. I do have a Seagate 3 Terrabyte SATA 3 HDD that I need to install as well.

I'm also looking into getting an SSD drive. That'd be pretty handy.

I've been tempted to reformat my computer with Windows 8 or Windows 10 with the SSD, but backing everything up seems like too much of a pain in the arse.

My overall goal is to be able to do my media work, but also be able to play high end PC games. I don't care about 4K, but basically I'd like to play games at maximum quality, 60FPS minimum and 1080p resolution.

6. Colin_B

Colin_B Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

It's amazing what a clean tower can do for noise levels.

To your point I think you're absolutely right - the only upgrade you really need to make is your GPU and maybe add an SSD even if it's just for booting into Windows.

The awesome thing about upgrading your GPU now is you can get a GTX 1060 which is amazing bang for your buck and will easily suit your needs. If you prefer AMD you could grab the 480 as well I suppose. I'm sure Madster would recommend it in a heartbeat ;).

7. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I'd love to have a new graphics card. If I'm looking for max quality gaming, but at 1080p with good frame rate (60 FPS), then a GTX 1060 should be the way to go?

I'm not very good with computer specs so... what's the difference between things like... 6 GB, 8 GB each? When it comes to graphics cards, I mean.

Ages ago, madster gave me this site and there's some cards here - http://www.centrecom.com.au/nvidia-2

Here's another site - https://www.pccasegear.com/category/193 ... e-gtx-1060 - other than price, I dunno what the difference between each card is.

This is all in Australian dollars. We get ripped off.

It's $500... but I'm looking at this one - https://www.pccasegear.com/products/360 ... ing-g1-6gb - to be fair though, I have no idea between the difference of cards.

8. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

If you're only planning on staying at 1080p, then 6GB VRAM would be plenty. The only time more VRAM is useful is when you get into higher resolutions.

And since SSDs are so cheap anymore, there isn't any reason not to get one, I would personally go for at least 256GB, but then again I have 2TB of SSD storage right now.

9. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Thanks, Green_Lantern. Appreciate that tip.

Yeah, I'd love to get an SSD and could for for 256GB minimum. I'm not looking forward to the idea of backing up and reformatting my PC, but it's better in the long run.

10. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

Couldn't you just keep your existing drive as a secondary and image a new SSD with Win 10? You would have to reinstall all your programs, but as far as data and files go, you'd have everything. And if everything goes to shit, you can just boot from the old drive and everything is ready to go.

11. Master_Craig

Staff Member

That's an idea. I'm not quite sure how to do that, but it's an idea. :)

I'm looking at one of these cards, not sure which one though - https://www.pccasegear.com/category/193 ... e-gtx-1060 - I don't know the difference between them in terms of branding and pricing.

As for SSDs - https://www.pccasegear.com/category/210 ... drives-ssd - I'm looking at getting either the 250GB for $109, or maybe the 500GB for $195.

I also want to buy new software for digital drawing - http://my.smithmicro.com/manga-studio-ex-5.html - which is about $200.

Lucky for me due to the comics I make for GameRevolution, I can claim all of this on tax. I'll probably buy the software first, then move onto the hardware next pay.

Update: A mate of mine reckons that if I'm not looking to overclock (which I'm not, I've never overclocked before and I don't think I need or want to), he suggests the EVAG brand, so this card in particular - https://www.pccasegear.com/products/362 ... gaming-6gb - which is $409 AUD ($313 USD).

So with that in mind... $409 for the card, $195 for the SSD... $604 AUD ($463 USD) to upgrade my PC, not including postage. Does this sound reasonable?

12. madster111

madster111 Rookie

SSDs are light enough that postage costs next to nothing, grab a OCZ Trion 150 480gb for $90usd off amazon (ie, $125au shipped), save some money.

Unless you specifically need nvidia for some software, you'll probably be better off with an RX 480. Freesync monitors are cheap and everywhere and a lot of games are starting to use DX12, which the 480 is faster in.
    Plus you save another $10 if you go with the XFX 8gb.
    If you do need nvidia, that evga is alright.

Also remember that PCCG will have expensive post up to NT (protip: pay the extra $1 for startrack) and have a 2% surcharge for cards/paypal, so you'll be looking at more like $430 for either card.

These are the areas i'd recommend improvement. I would very strongly recommend against the seagate 3tb as they are currently the most unreliable drive on the market, grab a HGST instead.
    The PSU should go as it's old and unbranded, as well as overpowered thus wasting power being out of efficiency. EVGA 500B is a 500w bronze that's reliable and cheap, more than enough to power your entire system even if you end up going HAM with a 1080 Ti. If you have a bit of extra money, grab the supernova G2 650w gold for dat efficiency.

The other thing to consider is that the 2600 is just now starting to become a bit old, i'd start saving some money to go AMD Zen early-to-mid next year, get some modern things too like USB Type C and M.2 NVMe.

You should definitely do this, especially as DX12 is Win10 exclusive and there's genuine performance benefits. Plus the xbone cross compatibility on the MS store.
    It sounds like a pain, but grab a 2tb external hard drive from JBs and back everything up. Fresh install with Windows 10 on the SSD (without the hard drive connected - windows has a bad habit with throwing needed files on it), fresh 3 or 4tb hard drive and now you have an external hard drive to use as a backup.

The $399 XFX RX 480 is slightly faster than what i'm using right now and i'm maxing out almost every game at 1920x1080 @ 75FPS, it also allows overclocking headroom for the future (which is all of 2 buttons in a program) if some games start to struggle.

13. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I'm unsure if I need NVIDIA or not. I guess the reason is, I'm just paranoid about Radeon/AMD, I've had problems with them in the past.

I'm looking at moving my computer and using a HDMI to plug into my TV downstairs, a 40" Sony Bravia. I'd love to see that as a monitor.

14. madster111

madster111 Rookie

I've had just as many problems with nvidia drivers as i've had with AMD, and recently the AMD drivers have had a massive step up.
    It's pretty likely that you're not using anything using CUDA which means there's no real reason to go the 1060 over the 480, they trade blows with performance while the 480 is $10 cheaper and will run quieter. The 480 is just a nicer card overall, full backplate, dual fans, 8-pin so you can run it harder if you want to, plus the extra 2gb of VRAM although you won't really use it anyway.

That's how i've got mine setup, 55" sony.
    See if you can run yours at 75hz like mine, small improvement but nice

15. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I'll have a look into the RX 480. Thanks for the help, man. I appreciate it. :)

Today I may move my computer downstairs to where the TV is, just to see if I can set it up okay. I figure next pay, I'll start ordering new parts.

16. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Started to back up my PC. Backing up all the important information onto a USB 3.0 1TB external HDD.

I reckon I'm gonna start making some purchases next week when I get paid next. I've decided to go for the EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB and I'm gonna get a 500GB Samsung SSD.

I'm not keen on it, but I will be formatting my computer with Windows 10 installed on the SSD. Probably going to upgrade my Adobe package to the latest Adobe Creative Suite.

Don't think I'll buy it all at once. I think I'll just go through it bit by bit, starting with the graphics card.

17. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Might as well go with a Skylake 6600K while you're at it!

18. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Might hold off on the processor, or at least look at a new processor in the future.

19. Colin_B

Colin_B Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Good choice on both the SSD and the GPU. Normally I'd say don't buy in increments but honestly since it really is just the GPU that needs an upgrade and/or you won't see a bottleneck you're fine to do that.

This may not be a popular choice but depending on the Samsung SSD you're getting you could always opt for the Evo as opposed to the Pro. You'd save close to 75 bucks and still get great performance.

20. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I was looking at an Evo before but the only reason I'm aiming at Pro is because Evo was (at the time) sold out.