Looking to upgrade PC

Discussion in 'PC' started by Master_Craig, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Veteran

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my PC, not quite sure when but... I'm not looking to upgrade all of it, just some aspects of it.

Honestly I'm not very good with computers. Despite being super into digital media, I'm not that great at the I.T. or hardware side of things, so I may need some advice and explanations.

Below is my current PC, which I got in April, 2012 for $1,844.00 AUD (about $1,401.00 USD). Bought it from GR-TEK Computers, Australia (www.gr-tek.com.au / www.gamingpcs.com.au).

-Case: Antec DF30 Dark Fleet Case with Card Reader
    -Power supply: Hytec/Hipro Heavy Duty Low Noise 850W Power Supply
    -Processor: 2nd Generation Intel i7-2600 Core i7 QUAD Core 3.4 GHz, LGA1155 CPU
    -Motherboard: ASRock (Asus) Z68 EXTREME4 Gen3, PCle 3.0, SATA3, USB 3.0, -SQUAD SLI, 7.1CH Audio
    -Cooler: Thermaltake ISGC 300 Low Noise CPU Fan & Heatsink
    -Graphics: nVidia Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card
    -DVD/CD: LG SATA 24 Speed Dual Layer DVD Burner
    -HDD: Seagate 1 Terrabyte SATA 3 HDD
    -RAM: 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 G.Skill/Elixir Memory

I'm not sure whether to just get an entirely new machine, or upgrade only a few aspects of it. I currently have a 3GB SATA HDD that's going to be put it soon, but what else should I do with it? I don't exactly want to run GTA V on the best settings ever, but I want to be able to play PC games at a good, high quality. I also want to be able to continue with my digital media works (digital art, movies, animation etc). Also considering a Blu-Ray drive.

For example, I can play Skyrim on maximum settings with absolutely no problem, but I couldn't do that with the 2013 reboot of Tomb Raider.

Suggestions? :)

2. madster111

madster111 Rookie

It'll run GTA V at 60fps with decent enough settings as is.

No real point fully upgrading now until some part of it dies, sandy bridge is still more than adequate. Only thing that would be worth while upgrading now is the graphics card, one of these would be perfect:
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=30581
    or
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=27107

I've never bought from these guys, but this is insanely good bang/buck:
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/gigabyte-r9 ... dmimini-dp

If you really want more performance without a new build for animation and such, you could pick up an i7-2600/2700K used on ebay/gumtree and some new thermal compound, throw it in and run at 4.2-4.4ghz pretty easily with that heatsink.
    Your ram is perfect as is to the point where even if you build a shiny new $2.5k computer, you'll end up re-using it. Shit, you could sell it now for more than what you paid for.

3. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Veteran

Thanks for the advice, madster. Appreciate it.

That graphics card sounds nice, the Galax GeForce GTX 960 EXOC 2GB... I've always been a fan of NVIDIA. As silly as it might sound, I'm a little paranoid about Radeon cards, simply because years ago I had a laptop that had a Radeon graphics card in it and so many games had problems with Radeon back then. Maybe nowadays it'd be better?

4. madster111

madster111 Rookie

Meh, i went from AMD to nvidia and found they both had equally shitty drivers. Have had no issues at all on the AMD omega drivers i'm running now so they seem to be pretty well sorted.

Both are pretty much equal for gaming, where the difference will be is if any other programs you use have OpenGL support which is basically AMDs turf. On the flip side, if any programs you use run CUDA then the nvidia is obviously the way to go.

Remember that i'm only going with the 960/280 for budget reasons, your current setup should be good for 970/290s if you run more than 1080p/60fps

5. Sourdeez

Sourdeez Rookie

A Nvidia 960 would be fine but I would suggest getting the 4GB edition.

6. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Veteran

Throw a SSD in there too.

7. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Veteran

I think I'd like to make some upgrades... going by everyone's advice, I should look into a new graphics card as well as an SSD HDD. I have a new 3 TB internal HDD sitting at home that needs to go in there too, so there's that.

Sourdeez, if I was looking into a NVIDIA 960 4 GB, what kinda prices am I looking at?

Also, any advice on cleaning PCs? I think I need to give the fans in my PC a bit of a clean.

8. Sourdeez

Sourdeez Rookie

9. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Veteran

Unfortunately the site you provided me Sourdeez doesn't ship to Australia... however, I'll look at Australian sites in the mean time and look for that very graphics card. I'll post shortly with any results.

10. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Veteran

Holy God crap damn it.

The card you suggested Sourdeez, if I could order that from the States (which unfortunately I cannot) I'd be paying about $315ish AUD... but if I look on other sites in Australia, they're expecting at least $789 AUD. What a load of crap.

I might go with madster's suggestion.

11. Sourdeez

Sourdeez Rookie

Being a PC gamer in Australia sounds like a nightmare.

12. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Veteran

13. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Veteran

14. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

I'd grab this one instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814487128

Plus, one thing I love about EVGA is their step up program. If at any time in your 90 days you want to upgrade, all you do is pay the difference in cost between your current GPU and the one you want to step up to.

15. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Veteran

That card sounds amazing and so does the price, unfortunately they don't ship to Australia.

I think I found the same card in Australia, Lethean - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... 2a5bb4c783 - it's still a bit more expensive then the Americans but... it might be the way to go? :)

16. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Veteran

17. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Veteran

18. Sourdeez

Sourdeez Rookie

A 970 is a great card if you can afford it. If 970s are almost $500 in aus how much are 980s? I paid $450 per 980.

Holy fuck $800 for a single 980!
    A titan x is $1600!

19. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

Have you considered tracking down a gently used GTX 770? It would perform better than a 960, not up to par when compared to the 970 but certainly easier on the wallet.

Honestly, if you do go for the 960, I'd say spend the extra bit for the 4GB model.

Hell, order it on Newegg, send it to my house and I'll ship it to you. Even if you pay me for shipping, it's likely going to be cheaper than 369.99.

20. Sourdeez

Sourdeez Rookie

Lethean for MVP.