I don't like Bloodborne and I feel like telling it!

The_bad_who

Novice
Hey there. I wanted to start that thread because I've never felt like my opinion was a popular one and every time I tell it out loud, I get thrashed and almost threatened for being such a despicable human being. I don't like Bloodborne. In fact, I don't like any "soul" type games at all. Yes, I've tried it. Yes I get it. Yes I understand the fact that games have less challenge than before and take us too much by the hands. But seriously, my stone cold judgement is that it's an ugly and frustrating game that doesn't offer any interesting story and plays with the fact it has a reputation for being hard to justify mechnics that are designed to make you fail from the get-go. If a game has invisible walls, linear levels, cinematic action that is the same for everyone but is well made, has a rich story and well developed characters and makes my head stop thinking about the boring everyday life, why would it be so bad? Doing the same exact thing 20 times because you have to know the enemies' pattterns doesn't make me forget about the (sometime) tediousness and repetitiveness of my work. I need to escape, to see cool stories that take me elsewhere, not get frustrated and yell at my TV for being killed every goddamn 10 minutes!

Well, I really needed to get this off my chest! Please feel free to discuss, I'm actually curious to know what's your take on this folks. Do you feel like I do? If not, what makes you enjoy being killed so much?

You are a despicable human being!

In all seriousness, I haven't yet had the opportunity to play any souls game other than the original Demon's Souls on PS3, which I really enjoyed. I did get frustrated occasionally, more with how certain areas wouldn't open up unless your world tendency was dark or light than the difficulty, but sometimes a certain boss or creature would keep killing me and pissing me off. Still, I did enjoy the time I spent with it. Never got to finish it because I had a kid and since there was no ability to pause the game and I would need to be available at an instant's notice, I moved on to other games.

I do have Dark Souls and Bloodborne and do plan to play them someday. I might give Bloodborne a go after I finish up Persona 5.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally from what I have seen of Bloodborne, I think it's rather beautiful in that Gothic Victorian kind of way, but it won't be everyone's cup of tea. Some people like sports games, or racing games, and others don't. In this case, some people enjoy the trial and error gameplay until they get the strategy needed to defeat the various creatures of the Souls games, and you don't. Not a big deal.

That’s cool, I’m sure Hello Kitty Island Adventure is coming out with a sequel soon.
That wasn't meant to be an attack toward people who like those games by the way. No need to take the discussion down to wisecracking and insulting. I can have a discussion with people who disagree with me.

I didn’t take it as an attack, just having some fun. I’ve only played Bloodborne for like an hour or so myself, but did beat DS1. Frankly I don’t play them because I don’t have the time for them anymore due to the reasons you listed above. I loved DS1 because of the challenge it presented, and I’m sure Bloodborne fans feel the same way.

That being said, my opinion is play what entertains you, don’t waste time playing something that isn’t fun. Life’s too short to play games you don’t like.

You're right about that! No sweat, man :) . I just like to discuss things in general. I'm curious about what makes people tick.

As someone who absolutely adores the franchise, with Demon's Souls one of my favorite games, I totally get it. What you're looking for is a more story driven experience, and the Souls games are 100% gameplay driven.
I mean, I disagree with you in terms of it being frustrating and unfair, since I'd say they're all mostly really fair (I have yet to play Bloodborne though), and the death system is one of the most unpunishing systems in any game I've played. I can elaborate that further if you need me to.

That said, if you don't like them, don't play them. Like, I take offense to people who go "Dark Souls should have an easy mode" because the entire point of the game is playing the game. The rest is all nonsense that isn't worth your time, and so if you don't like it just don't play it.

I didn't say unfair. I know and I understand how it rewards players with the skill and patience for go through all of this and I can respect that.

And I know about not playing, which is exactly what I do. Like I said just above, I just like to stir the pot a bit and create discussion. Hell, maybe someone can even change my mind! Some of the best things in my life are from people forcing me to see things diffrently through talking about it. I used to hate some of the music band I love the most right now. Same goes with game.

I took the unfairness aspect from this part:
plays with the fact it has a reputation for being hard to justify mechnics that are designed to make you fail from the get-go.
which I think is giving it a bit too much credit. I mean, it's tough, but it's not THAT bad, and it's not like one of those games where it takes 200 hits to kill an enemy and they only need to hit you twice.
Most enemies kill you in (approximately) three hits, and you kill most enemies in (approximately) three hits. It's really well balanced, even when you're entering areas you're unfamiliar with.

I feel about it the same way that I do fighting games. I enjoy them for a very finite time but get bored quickly. Then I see one of my friends meticulously battling, dodging by a hair’s breadth and dive-rolling like a gymnast and think...”he’s glorious!” I pick it up again fiddle around for a few days and then go back to Hello Kitty: Through the Barbaric Gates of Marguroth

I played Bloodborne for about half an hour. Graphics are amazing, the movement in the characters look a bit..."stiff"? But nothing I'm bothered about.
My experience consisted of me being mauled by the first monster I came across (was still figuring out what dodge was at the time too!), and running round the streets, learning the controls, and figuring out what shit does (still ongoing...how the fuck do I heal!?)

It reminded me a lot of The Witcher 3 though - learning enemy's attacks, how they dodge, and perfecting how to tackle them was very rewarding. Bloodborne seems to be a similar experience, and I think that's what the people who enjoy these games thrive on - especially now that games these days aren't as challenging as you say (and when I say challenging, I mean challenging and "fair"...not whacking on an insane difficulty where you get hit once and die with only 3 game saves or some shit!)

When I do get the moments of frustration in this game, I can tell it will be at myself rather than the game! "FUCK Matt, should've dodged you twat!" - shit like that.

I played Bloodborne for about half an hour. Graphics are amazing, the movement in the characters look a bit..."stiff"? But nothing I'm bothered about.
My experience consisted of me being mauled by the first monster I came across (was still figuring out what dodge was at the time too!), and running round the streets, learning the controls, and figuring out what shit does (still ongoing...how the fuck do I heal!?)

It reminded me a lot of The Witcher 3 though - learning enemy's attacks, how they dodge, and perfecting how to tackle them was very rewarding. Bloodborne seems to be a similar experience, and I think that's what the people who enjoy these games thrive on - especially now that games these days aren't as challenging as you say (and when I say challenging, I mean challenging and "fair"...not whacking on an insane difficulty where you get hit once and die with only 3 game saves or some shit!)

When I do get the moments of frustration in this game, I can tell it will be at myself rather than the game! "FUCK Matt, should've dodged you twat!" - shit like that.

I did feel a bit frustration playing The Witcher 3 at the beginning, but something about the characters, the story, the graphics made me want to press on and be better. I still don't understand why people say Bloodborne's graphics are great though. I thought they were blend and all the same colors. Maybe again, playing The Witcher 3's Blood And Wine made me realise that eye popping colors was more my style than grey, black and more gray.

...you son of a bitch, The_bad_who.

I'm joking, man. It's cool! ;) I've played Dark Souls, Dark Souls II, Bloodborne and Dark Souls III. The only game I've yet to finish from that list is the first one. I'm a big fan.

I love these games because for the most part, I love the sense of exploration and discovery behind them. The settings and environments are great, so imaginative. Bloodborne especially got my attention, because I'm a huge fan of the Victorian/Gothic aesthetics and the obvious Call of Kthulu inspiration behind the game's lore.

I do enjoy the combat, but yes, the combat can at times be absolutely gut wrenching to the point of it not being "fun" anymore and instead, just becoming frustrating. We play games to have fun and often to escape reality and stress... the "Soulsborne" games can be really stressful.

If you like challenging games that offer exploration and RPG-like mechanics, I'd certainly recommend the Soulsborne games. If however you're a bit limited on time and just want fun and less stress, then maybe steer clear.

I can't get into the Souls series. I've tried every single game and just can't do it. I will never say they are bad though, I just don't have the patience to play these games for months and master every enemy and level. I even tried Bloodborne and wanted to like it but just couldn't do it. I even tried Nioh and Lords of the Fallen(turd) and these games are just masochistic. I love the lore and the art and production of the Souls series, but my God are they frustrating.

I think it's just perfect, it combines the best of every Souls. Fewer weapons for more utility, more agility for a game based on evasion, a game much more nervous, a level design of madness .. a real favorite.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mini Militia App Lock 7Zip

Last edited:
It's all good, man. Some games aren't for some people.

I've never though Halo was all that and I really don't get why people are into the lore. But hey it's not for me and that's fine.

I like the setting and the aesthetic but the respawning enemies after dying just took out all the fun out of it.
I just started running and avoiding everything that it lost all meaning.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod