How Is The PS4 On 4K?

Discussion in 'PlayStation' started by rebiscocrackers, Jun 21, 2016.

1. rebiscocrackers

I have this 55-inch 4K IPS screen boxed and just waiting to be used. I also have a PC right now, but I'm thinking of downgrading it and buying a PS4 instead for gaming. But, before I do that, I'd just like to make sure that the PS4 is able to handle 4K well enough.

Anyone here have any experience playing something like, let's say, Uncharted on their PS4 at 4K? If so, how'd it go?

2. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm also intruiged by this!

3. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

The PS4 wouldn't be a problem. It's the TV itself. Most games for PS4 are 1080p resolution. All your TV will do is just automatically upscale it.

4. rebiscocrackers

Figures, but how are the graphics? Are they still any good? I've heard that Uncharted 4 looks awesome in 4K.

5. UghRochester

It would look the same as 1080p, if not a lessor quality.

6. madster111

madster111 Rookie

The PS4 doesn't do 4K. It struggles to do 1080 in a few games.
    Theoretically it can output 4K @ 30, in practice it won't even bother. How it will look will depend entirely on the TV, it's quite likely 1920@1080 will be one of its 'native' resolutions and it'll look exactly the same as a 55" 1080.

With the release of the RX 480 this time next week, now is literally the stupidest possible time to swap from a computer to a console. $199 graphics card that will actually do native 4K in most games, the single largest jump in computer power per generation of all time.

Alternatively, wait until next year for the scorpio.

7. rebiscocrackers

I see, I get your point and I do know that the PS4, in terms of hardware, just wouldn't be able to handle 4K. I was just wondering how it would handle it and if the results would still look gorgeous, relative to just playing at 1080. Hopefully, somebody provides a better and more concrete answer.

8. UghRochester

IT'S NOT GOING TO BE BETTER! It's going to be the exact same thing you would see on a 1080p TV. Upscaling just let's it fit the screen, but it's still 1080p.

9. madster111

madster111 Rookie

It won't do 4K.
    As in, at all. The PS4 will be outputting 1080p and the TV will either run it straight at 1920x1080 where it simply uses 4 pixels to display 1 (looking blurry) or it will use whatever method it likes to 'upscale' the image to 3840x2160.
    The quality of the image will be determined entirely by the TV, some of the most expensive 4Ks actually have enough processing power to do tricky things like apply AA onto the image, etc.

Put it this way:
    Did you spend more than $3,000 on your 4K TV?
    If yes, it'll look better than a 1080p 55".
    If no, it'll look worse than a 1080p 55".

Before you even bother gaming on it, i would very strongly advise you actually try it first.
    I ended up with a 55" 1080p Sony TV because literally every single 50-65" 4K that i tried had completely unacceptable input lag. The absolute best of them, at over $4,000aud, 'merely' would've made it impossible to play CS:GO or other fast shooters.

10. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

4K TVs are stupidly expensive and at this stage, console gaming does not support them. So there's no point.

I mean, there's talks that the new X-Box One model and the new PS4 model (the "upgraded" ones) will do it, but in my opinion, who cares?

I wouldn't worry about it.

11. Ivory_Soul

Ivory_Soul Highly Motivated Test Subject

Please tell me that was a joke and you're not that ignorant.

Rendering at 4K looks fantastic IF THE SCREEN SUPPORTS IT. YOU NEED BOTH. Upscaling to 4K via the TV looks blurry and seeing 1080p on a 4K screen doesn't do you much good.

4K picture is the most crystal clear image you will ever see, but we just aren't there yet. PC gaming has done it for awhile, but it's a niche thing. You sound like the people who said HDTV is a scam and there's not such thing. "My rear projection is just fine!" "There's no difference between 1080p and my 32" CRT" Same argument 10 years ago.

12. UghRochester

I'm not saying 4K is bad quality, I know its resolution is better than 1080p. What I'm saying is PS4 doesn't support games rendered at 4K. If you used a 4K TV for the PS4, It's not going to be 4K, it's going to be whatever the game is running at (most likely 1080p) and upscaled to fit the screen dimensions. It'll still look like 1080p, unless you have a crap TV.

13. madster111

madster111 Rookie

Now if only any console actually did it. The Scorpio/PS5 launching next late next year will render and output at 4K.

The PS4 renders at 1080p (or less occasionally) and IIRC outputs at 1080p without even upscaling the image internally.
    This means it's entirely up to the TV to see what it wants to do with that 1080p image, it'll either display it as it is (4-1 pixel scaling isn't too bad) or it will 'upscale' (post process) in the TV itself.
    None of this is the biggest issue, however. Like i said above, the input lag on every 4K TV i tried (hisense, sony, samsung, LG, etc) was bad. And i don't mean 'get used to it' bad, i mean on 1/2 of them moving the mouse would have caused literal physical pain after using it for a while, and the one i bought (and returned because of this) was even bad using a PS4, aiming in FO4 you could feel at least 250ms of lag.
    There is a current Sony 4K that's means to be pretty good with input lag, its only $5,500.

4K is also going to not be a niche any more on wednesday when the RX 480 launches. $199usd and you have enough power for 4K @ 30FPS in most AAA games and 4K @ 60 in less demanding titles. Slap it in $199 worth of other hardware and you're set for the launch price of a PS4.

14. osaco

osaco Rookie

199$ for the GPU only, if He had to buy a cpu also the price would not be the same, in any case I prefere a PS4K juste for the exlus sony games

15. JaguarJK

JaguarJK Rookie

I hope that PS5 work correctly in 4k

everyone wants 4k games , but only 10 % have a television in 4k
    and of that 10 % , 90% has a UHD (not real 4k ) , then .... this is a joke in general

16. osaco

osaco Rookie

17. Colin_B

Colin_B Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm almost certain you just made those statistics up.

And the majority of panels you can buy are not "real" 4K and will in fact be UHD which is also 4k.

4096x2160p is the cinema standard of 4K while due to aspect ratios and whatnot, television sets are *mostly* going to be 3840 X 2160. So they still have the important 2160 vertical resolution and are close enough to the 4096 sets that they act as a derivative of "real" 4k.

There's Cinema 4K and then 4K.

Basically yes, UHD sets are 4K.

18. StudioTan

StudioTan Regular

I'm saving up for 401K.