Favourite environments in gaming?

Master_Craig

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Warning: This thread may contain potential spoilers for some games.

Hey guys. Are there any particular levels or environments in games that you really like? Sometimes I think the level design in games can either make, or break a game completely. If the levels are designed to be large, detailed and imaginative then it's awesome and sets the mood and scene perfectly... but if it's weak and bland, like typical corridors or something, then it really pulls the game back and makes the game feel quite boring.

I'd like to know your favourite levels and environments.

Here's one of mine, the Dragon Aerie from Dark Soul's II.

DarkSouls2-10.jpg

While there isn't really much to explore, this environment is amazing. The tall, narrow mountains, the fire-coloured sun set skies, the long draw bridges, the massive castle in the background (the Dragon Shrine) and of course, three big arse dragons that you can fight, along with other dragons flying around that don't mean any arm, they just set the scene.

This environment to me screams "epic", it's fascinating to be here and is one of the few environments of gaming where I've had to stop and look around, multiple times at that. The tall, thin mountains with the draw bridges zig-zagging to one another just look amazing.

What's waiting for you in the Dragon's Shrine too is just, well... really, really cool. Damn it. Writing this makes me want to play Dark Souls II again... maybe I should buy it for the PS3 since I've already finished it on PC. >.>

What are your favourite levels and environments of gaming?

I really love some of the distant scenery in Eve Online. They too their time and it shows. Each system gives you a different view and backdrop and/or angle on your closest star, nebula, or planet. Its really easy to let your mind wander in this environment. Plasma planets are insanely cool as well [ bottom pic]. Im really excited about Eve Valkyrie and the Oculus in general because it will let us explore these worlds in even more detail!

eve_online_screenshot__the_skies_above_by_gilligan2011-d5of294.jpg

EVE-Online-Eve-Fan-Fest-2011-New-Nebulae-Trailer_5.jpg

crucible-nebula.jpg

[/img]
mini7.jpg

Journey had some cool scenery.
journey-release-date-news.jpg

Some community made LBP Levels have also amazed me.

Midgar:
Ff7-midgar.jpg

Its atmosphere sets the perfect tone (literally; the music within Midgar is superb.) for the dystopian driven story of the game because of its stark contrast to the rest of the world, which is equally as stunning. There is the wondrous Cosmo Canyon and mystical Wuatai; the icy cliffs of Gaea and the warm and luxurious Costa del Sol; then there's Midgar: a grimy industrial city that is largely perceived as undesirable and even frightening to both its residents and the outside observer. This game has received both praise and criticism, but I think its compelling atmosphere alone has preserved this game as a distinctive and memorable title within the Final Fantasy series.

Final Fantasy games usually rule at this. I used to love different kinds of worlds. FF10 was pretty good at all the amazing scenery. The Macalania Woods was one of my favourite, along with Mt Gagazet.

Games like in Mario/Sonic etc - Grassy worlds, water worlds, desert worlds etc. And I always enjoyed the medieval castle type worlds in games for some reason. I remember playing Croc and getting to the 4th world...and LOVING it!

Even Guacamelee now, I loved going from the desert to the snowy mountains. I just love all these extreme worlds, which almost seemed to be based on colour!

MattAY said:
Final Fantasy games usually rule at this.

yea man. 12 was awesome too. They give you enough detail to tickle your imagination, but not so little that you have to guess about whats behind this inaccessible door or region.

Vagrant Story was badass too.

UrbanMasque said:
Vagrant Story was badass too.

Speaking of, that game is kicking my ass right now. I'm currently in the Undercity below Leá Monde and I'm getting stomped by this Lich Lord.

I know to some people it was probably just generic fantasy but I really liked the world of Skyrim. I found myself pretty immersed in it.

skyrim03.jpg

Do you ever find that the music and atmosphere in Skyrim puts you to sleep? I often wake up in the weirdest places.

Funny you should mention that. I just recently dl'd the skyrim texture pack in minecraft for me and my son and they have the same score from the game and I found it completely relaxing but not quite sleep inducing.

Skyrim texture pack?! I may have to get back into Minecraft, although I seem to have the same problem with all these relaxing games: they tend to summon bouts of narcolepsy.

Oh the Skyrim music was half the reason my friend bought the game! Great stuff.

The musical score in Skyrim is truly a collection of masterful works. I can't believe we never covered Jeremy Soule in my composers thread. I may have to bring it back from the dead.

I get goosbumps every time the trumpet takes over in this piece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQeIYVM3YBM#t=1141

It very much reminds me of the trumpet score in those old Medal of Honor games; in particular, the one that opened with the invasion of Normandy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDb618RaBmo
I have a soft spot for brass instruments, especially trombones.

Music really has a strong hand in shaping the atmosphere of a game.

Some really awesome mentions here. I feel I have to go old school again though and mention the Spirit Temple in Ocarina of Time. Solving the first half as young Link and the second half as Adult Link was just genius.

I hate to quote Dark Souls again but they do a killer job. The Ash Lake was something that absolutely terrified me and fascinated me at the same time. The Hydra acted as a guardian of sorts to the Everlasting Dragon. The entrance to the zone is hidden deep within the roots of the great hollow and the thousands of trees in the horizon make you wonder what worlds sit atop in their ancient boughs, each one like a great world tree of its own. The music also sets the tone perfectly for this area, a place lost in time and somehow feel like it transcends space/time.

The ending of Bioshock Infinity gave me a similar impression, with the whole multiverse thing or even the Temple of Time in Zelda.

I've been trying to think of something else to add to this thread. There's a game in development called "White Night" which has piqued my interest with its emphasis on atmosphere and suspense. This trailer claims to draw inspiration from Alone in the Dark and Alfred Hitchcock films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NpIkn6Ka78

This trailer centers around a narrative from the main character and depicts a sinister, 'noir' exposition, which I like very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfNM8Fdk01s

I'll add another one. Since I got my new rig and can play GW2 on max instead of min the games environments are absolutely stunning, not to mention how epic the world bosses are. One of my favorite areas is the swamp with the giant wurm and spooky faces in the stone.

edit:
gw147.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle