Do you name your Pokemon?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by used44, Apr 16, 2014.

1. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Or do you keep it strictly OG with the generic pokedex names? What's the name you gave a favorite Pokemon that you best remember?

Do you use ALL CAPS? I feel like the game always wants you to use all caps and it drives me nuts.

Oh, also, do you give your trainer your real name and do you name your rival just the filthiest curse word?

2. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

Sometimes I'll name them, usually when I know I'm going to use them a lot.

My character in Pokemon has always been named Ty, and when I got Gold version and evolved my first Typhlosion, I knew that I had to change his name to Ty as well. It just made sense.

3. danielrbischoff

I never renamed the monsters I caught but I named my trainer "Daniel" and left the rival with his default name.

At least, I don't remember giving any of them names.

4. Lien

Lien Rookie

The names i give my pokemon... See, it's the reason why no one wants any kids near me.

5. madster111

madster111 Rookie

The lack of swear words in pokemon x and y is one of the reasons it can never be my favorite.

6. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I never named my Pokemon. Well okay, I've done it only once... The Water/Rock Pokemon Quagsire from Pokemon Gold? I named "Craigsire".

As for the trainer, I just called him Craig and I usually left the rival with the default name.

Yeah, I also left my name and all Pokemon name with the default ALL CAPS. It drove me insane too, but I just left it like that.

7. gamerevolution00

Since I started playing pokemon. I don't remember that I renamed any of them because their own name are good and there is no need to change it.

8. UrbanMasque

UrbanMasque Everyone Wears a Mask

Even though I haven't played one since Red... Of course you name the pokemon. Why wouldn't you. You have favorites, you name them.

9. Affen

Affen Rookie

When I was younger I translated some of the names to finnish mock-ups. Trainer name was always my own name, don't remember ever changing the rivals name.

10. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Absolutely. I had a Chimchar named Vivi and I loved him.

11. jsonman

jsonman Rookie

Yeah ! I do name my Pokemon. PIcatuch. I loved this pokemon and some others. I love the game and loved cartoon series.

12. John_Wolf

John_Wolf Rookie

I played Pokemon when I was much younger, and I didn't realize you could switch the case of the letters. I felt so dumb when I finally had it pointed out to me.

I would name my rival's after real people, usually my brother, and he'd name his after me. We'd pretend that we were competing with each other inside of the game.

It's a real shame that Pokemon GO doesn't allow stuff like this, only focusing on the capturing of pokemon. I think that's the biggest reason that GO won't last. I mean, aside from the horrible servers and glitches. I find it weird when people say it'll last, like this guy. But whatever, he's entitled to his opinion.

13. Shaft

Shaft Rookie

14. osaco

osaco Rookie

15. thenerdds

thenerdds Rookie

I rarely change mine. If I like their names, which is most of the time, I keep them.

16. osaco

osaco Rookie

17. yorky

yorky Regular

My character's name has almost always been Darn, although I've shifted towards Deliesh as of late. I think I keep my rival the same.

My starter pokemon is usually the name of a cat I have at the time. Ironically, right now, if the pokemon is a boy, it would be named Ash.

For the rest of the pokemon, I've changed a lot. There was a period of time where I would name them all Mr. or Mrs. _____. Other times, I would give them all legitimate human names based off of their gender, often based off of the letters of their original names.

18. Griffin_Vacheron

I NEVER nickname my Pokemon, until I started doing it in Sun and Moon.

Before that I was straight traditionalist. I mean Ash Ketchum never gave his 'mon nicknames than I'm aware of. Imagine if his Pikachu had a name haha. Go, CHUCK!!

That said, I know tons of people who only do nicknames, or themed nicknames like classical music composers or something.

19. anna20

anna20 Rookie

I never named my Pokemon because they have their own name

20. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

Depends on my mood.

I got a shiny Alolan Marowak right now I named Papa Shadow.