• MMO

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • FPS

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

Jonathan_Leack

Former Executive Editor
The rules for this week are:
  • Vote for which genre you prefer: MMO or FPS.
  • Share why you chose that genre in the comments below.
My answer: MMOs, because I enjoy stories, building a character, and immersing myself in a world.

Which do you prefer?

FPS...I prefer single player - simple as that!

If it was RPG VS FPS though...I'd vote RPGs and use the explanation you did for MMOs!

MMO by a hair. Will never forget childhood years spent playing Runescape and the original WoW, though it's been a while since I've been truly immersed in an MMO since. I still enjoy reading about them, though.

FPS...I prefer single player - simple as that!

If it was RPG VS FPS though...I'd vote RPGs and use the explanation you did for MMOs!

This right here. These days I rarely have the time to play anything multiplayer, and certainly nothing that I can't just pause and walk away from (one reason Bloodborne is still on my "yet-to-be-played" pile). Single player is my preferred game type, though couch co-op is good.

Also, I played an MMO for a while but after about a year realized that I was working a job to make money to pay a monthly subscription to perform another job. Never again.

I've never really liked MMOs, and I've tried a lot of them. Even free to play stuff like Runescape never held my interest very long.
I liked DC Universe Online purely because of the setting, but even that got boring fast.

Meanwhile, in the last few years I've put thousands of hours in TF2, Overwatch, R6:Siege, and BF1. Definitely more of my go-to relaxation/social games, because I don't have to care much when I play them.

That said, I would go RPG > FPS. But MMOs? Nah.

I guess having Booster Gold confined to a kiosk salesman didn't help in your DCUO experience, Longo.

I share the same sentiments as others here. I've also tried to get into several MMOs but none have sunken their teeth into me. I should like them, because I have enjoyed many single player games that seem similar in style of play: Dragon Age, KOTOR, Diablo, etc.

When it comes to playing with friends, I really have no preference on games. I tend to get too chatty and neglect the gameplay, so I doubt anyone would enjoy playing MMOs with me.

To be fair, Booster Gold as the tour guide was one of the best parts.

For me, what kills me in MMOs is the quests in the beginning are all "Kill 10 of this enemy" or, even worse, "Collect 10 (item with 5% drop rate)." It isn't until many, many hours into the game that you get raids and PvP that can be actually fun.

Ironically enough, I played Marvel Heroes Omega last night with a friend and had a blast. The Diablo style and perspective fits the gameplay really well. In DCU, I found myself disoriented and confused mid battle from everyone's powers and damage numbers flooding the screen. MHO feels far less cluttered in that regard. I also like being able to switch between all the available characters on a whim; saves a lot of time deliberating on character creation.

I'm not yet gripped with the MMO vice, but I can certainly feel its clutches. The only I worry about is a pay-wall similar to DCU where you're locked out of the big raids until you either buy the respective DLC packs or sign up for their steep subscription service.

I prefer FPS', more so for the sake of time.

With MMOs, I find that I have to sink a lot of time into them to really get somewhere with them. FPS' are more of a pick up and go, for me. I used to love MMOs when I was younger, pretty much the same reason as you, Jonathan, e.g. immersing myself in a really awesome digital world, cool stories, building characters from the ground up as well as the social interaction, e.g. playing with friends or/and making new ones.

Ironically, I do spend a lot of time playing good RPGs when I get one, e.g. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt. In saying that, I guess the single player experience is more story driven, which I really enjoy.

Nowadays, I just prioritize my time differently. Since I don't have the free time like I used to, FPS' are just easier to get into and get out of.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod