Crazy Idea

I know, they get shot down, but fuck it, who cares.

I had an idea that we can do a monthly, contributors coloumn on the history of video games, it's the history of specific franchises, people, companies, milestones, etc. WE can have the GR community commit to it, and write articles on it, and we can add them up togeather and make it a monthly thing on GR if you please for free.

What do you think?

I like it, but I doubt many people would be bothered contributing to something so specific. Even at that, most people don't know nearly as much about videogame history as they think they do. I can see some form of monthly\weekly (hell, even bi-weekly) contributors column working, with people just writing something about games on a regular basis (top tens etc.) but there are still a lot of problems.

Like... how the contributors are chosen? Even if you find someone on the staff who has the time to pick people out, you still have to deal then with people moaning about not being picked and even some people just writing shitty articles. To fix this, you would need a small, dedicated group of people who would continuously update the column. It would be a lot like a blog actually....

This is assuming that you meant this for some place on the site other than the forum? If not.... don't read the above. Damn.

I did mean for the site,but the forum can work just as well too, if anything we can facilitate information on there, and it doesn't have to be chronological either.

not a bad idea, the problem is quality. in order to sell ads on an "official" gr page, the quallity of everything (layout, writing, grammar, etc) has to be pretty much perfect.

who will edit the masses?

Hmmm. I'm not sure everyone has thought this through, if approved it would likely mean a fair bit of work (depending on the size of the column, I would expect it to be larger than most manifesto entries) Of course, I would like to do it, but I'm still not sure...

There's a lot of subjective emotion attached to such an idea. I doubt it would sustain that long, nor the majority of contributions, as duke noted, reach the required bar. Just my two cents, don't want to rain on anyone's tea party. I personally wouldn't contribute.

Honestly, I would much rather see an user-based editorial feature than specifically one for historical tributes. That way, the topics are broader but you can still write about classic games and whatnot. Gives more creative freedom to everyone.

With a user-based feature, it would be like opening the mail box to copious amounts fan mail for the GR staff. There are a lot of users on GR and I'm betting many of them would submit something. Who's going to sort through it all? Put some monkeys on staff to sort through the bull shat. You could pay them with bananas.

Perhaps the staff could choose a "guest" columnist each week (or bi-weekly) based on their review quality and how much they participate in forums.

What do you think?

I'm liking the ideas so far that have been put out. Anyone from GR as a full time staff want to chime in and help facilitate some of this as well?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod