Cooking for n00bs

That sounds like the best way to eat a can of chunky baked potato and steak, Paradox. That's the MAN way.

Last night I cooked again. I cooked two medium rare peppercorn steaks (using porterhouse steak) with eggs and steamed veggies. Again the veggies were just microwaveable ones so I suppose technically the only thing I "cooked" were the eggs and steak.

FullSizeRender_zps6f0100bd.jpg

I was really happy with it. It was really nice. My girlfriend really enjoyed it too.

Won't be cooking tonight as we'll be at my girlfriend's place for dinner tonight, and tomorrow night I won't be cooking because we'll be out at a friend's place for a Christmas party. So I shall strike in the kitchen again on Sunday!

Not sure what to cook yet. I'll review the n00b cook book and see what looks good. Maybe a pasta dish.

Last night I cooked up a pasta bake for my girlfriend and I, from the n00b cook book.

FullSizeRender_zpsfad515a9.jpg

It was alright, but I think there were two flaws to it. The first flaw was that I used too many bread crumbs. The second flaw, I may have used too much cheese.

Still pretty good but the bread crumb top didn't taste great (it was gluten free bread crumbs, plus lots of it). Next time if I do it, I'll add a lot less bread crumbs and I'll shred the cheese up to be smaller, with less cheese.

I used to live off of frozen meals, but now I'm going to be using my slow cooker often. I put a bag of frozen stir fry veggies into the pot as a bed. Layed a couple of 1lb chicken breast boneless and skinless into the pot and pour a couple of cans of creamy mushroom soup. Let it slow throughout the day and the results were a juicy chicken. So tender, it fell apart and the veggies were soft. I have a bunch of leftovers for meals in the future.

That sounds pretty good Ugh. I'd like to do that with some onion and bell pepper and make chicken fajitas.

I made my aforementioned sausage balls the other day for a get together with some friends. I partly make them because everyone likes them, but also because I love hearing chicks go 'oh, I love your balls' and 'wow your balls taste good'. Although to be honest, the guys think it's funny to say it too.

Haha, nice Paradox.

Ugh, that meal looks delicious.

You could try Sourdeez' steak method with that slow cooker of yours. Nice work man.

UghRochester said:
it's not hard to put stuff in a slow cooker and waiting hours for it.

Not patient enough!

One of my favourite things is Mediterranean veg! Oven baking peppers, red onions and swedes in oil with a bit of herbage! Reminds me of that, Ugh.

Get high, Put food in crockpot, Drink lots of beer, Eat something else, Go to sleep. Wake up the next day to hangover food!
(or food to match with more drinking)

Here is one.

-Get a crockpot
-get a 2lb roast
GET:
-onions
-potato's
-garlic
-celery

Start off by browing a roast on a skillet for about 10 min. You are not wanting to cook it, just brown the outside's of it for flavor. Let it cool down. Then rub some salt and pepper all into it.

Next put it in the crockpot and cover the whole thing with water. Add your vegetables, and cook on low for about 9 hours.

I like to put them on in the morning and then its ready by dinner!

8MYPIt8.jpg

cooked this up the other night... nice steak with a fried egg on top, cheesy broccoli casserole and mashed potatoes with green onions and garlic.

I did my big cook off today to prepare all of my meals for this week while I'm at work. Each meal is chicken breast, mixed green veggies, white rice, almond seeds and a hard boiled egg.

With the chicken I mixed it up a bit with different sauces and marinades. Four of the meals have BBQ rib sauce marinade, four of the meals have satay sauce and four of the meals have sweet chilly sauce. It smelt awesome when it was all done so I hope it tastes good.

Here's some of my meals that I cook for the week.

IMG_2470_zpsa05gweyl.jpg

I spend about an hour to an hour and a half doing all this. Each container has the following:

-300g of chicken breast
-17 almond seeds
-67g of mixed veggies
-100g of basmali white rice
-1 whole egg

Since I cook about ten of these a session to last me the whole working week (two a day), I'll start by cooking the rice. Super easy, five cups of rice, about seven cups of water and a rice maker? You're done. Chuck it all in and turn it on.

The eggs are super easy too. I have one of those auto egg boiler things. Can cook up to seven eggs at a time. Put all the eggs in, pour enough water in and turn it on. It'll start buzzing super loud when it's ready.

While the rice and eggs are cooking, I'll prepare the containers. What I do is I get out all the plastic containers (so ten) and I'll fill each container with alfoil, but enough alfoil so it can wrap around the chicken like some kinda... alfoil burrito thing.

Once that's done, I'll work on the chicken. With the chicken, I buy roughly 4kg worth of chicken breast. I take some chicken out and I'll weigh each one on a small, electronic set of weight scales. I go for roughly 300g, so if it's a little over or under it's all good. Once I have enough chicken breast for one container, I'll cut it up into bite size chunks, then put it all in the container. Rinse and repeat about nine more times.

After the chicken is ready, I'll put the veggies on in the microwave oven. In all honesty my veggies are not grand, I just use frozen veggies that come in small satchels. It takes about five minutes to cook all my veggies. During this time the eggs will usually be done, so using a set of tongs I'll take the eggs out and put 'em all in a large container of water to cool them down. I'll put on three more eggs to make ten eggs in total, as one egg goes in each container. The rice is usually done by this point, so I'll turn off the rice cooker and let it sit.

So the eggs should be done, the rice should be done and the veggies should be done. Now we go back to the chicken. What I'll do now is to give the chicken some flavour, I'll get a small bowl out and pour in a particular sauce (in this case, I had one bowl of mushroom sauce and one bowl of satay sauce). I'll then get one container of chicken and very lightly marinate it in the bowl, then put it back in the container, inside the alfoil wrapping. Do this for all the chickens. After that, you can add in additional herbs/spices... for the mushroom sauce chicken I used Italian herbs and for the satay chicken I used chicken salt.

Go to the oven (in my case, a microwave oven) and pre-heat it for 180 degrees Celsius (356 Farenheit). While the oven is pre-hitting, carefully pull out each chicken that's packed away in the alfoil, and wrap 'em all up and seal them. When you have all ten chickens wrapped/sealed, put 'em all on a steel tray and slide the tray into the oven once it's pre-heat. Cook for 35 minutes.

As the chicken is cooking, pour about one and a quarter cups of rice into each of the containers. Put in your veggies in all the containers, chuck an egg in each container, throw in your almond seeds, then go play some Bloodborne while you wait for the chicken to finish.

Once the microwave goes ding, take out the chickens, carefully unwrap the alfoils and use a set of tongs to put the chicken into your containers. After it's all packed, put 'em in the fridge and you have ten microwaveable meals for the week.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle