Cleaning out a PS4

Discussion in 'PlayStation' started by Master_Craig, May 22, 2017.

1. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Veteran

My PS4 roars like a Goddamn jet engine.

I've followed some tutorials online and learned how to take apart a PS4 and clean out the fan. There was a lot of dust in there, but when I thought I did a good job, it turns out my PS4 continues to make just as much noise as it did before. I notice absolutely no difference.

Is there a way to actually remove/take apart the fan itself? Has anyone else cleaned out a PS4 before? What tutorial(s) did you follow, if any?

2. madster111

madster111 Rookie

The PS4s are loud by design and can't really be 'fixed' entirely, there's a very good reason MS and us PC gaming folks get the biggest fans we possibly can, even if they produce the same noise the note itself sounds less like a dentist drill and more like rushing wind.

What you can try is to replace the thermal paste and thermal pads with new, higher quality stuff. The paste especially will be a big improvement as the thermal paste most manufacturers use is absolute shit and applied poorly, from people who have done this there are reports of up to half the chip not being covered with paste while the paste itself was going bad back in 2015, let alone now.

While you're in there with the heatsinks off, you can give everything another serious clean and hopefully this will let it run cooler and keep that little asshole of a fan spun down.

3. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Veteran

I'll have to look into that thermal paste stuff. My PS4 is so damn loud, it's frustrating. I'm reading articles online of people keeping the damn thing cool.