Bethesda releases Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall for free.

Sjvan0

Rookie
Link

To celebrate the series' 15th anniversary, Bethesda Softworks have released the infamously buggy and incredibly ambitious second game, Daggerfall (released in 1996), for free. This is pretty surprising, since up until a few weeks ago they were saying that they had no plans of ever releasing it, either for free or sale. Since people have been clamouring for this for roughly the last 5 years (pretty much since they released Arena for free), it's nice to see Bethesda paying attention to its fans. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a Dragon to break and a Giant Stompy Robot (tm) to resurrect.

This rocks! I was a big fan of Morrowind for a long time and really wondered about the other titles Bethesda put out. I really appreciate you bringing this link out here.

schimmel said:
If the game was released in 1996 and it's 2010 now wouldn't that make it the 14th anneversary?

Yes, if you were only counting Daggerfall and not the entire series.

Like blobbohen said, I'm interested to see what spawned the later games. I came in on Morrowind.

From what I remember Morrowind revolutionized the series. Before that they were very different games, and I don't remember them being that great

To put it bluntly, it's freakin' hard. During the tutorial, it tells you to fast travel to a city, but each time I tried, I died. That's just the start of it.

De-Ting said:
To put it bluntly, it's freakin' hard. During the tutorial, it tells you to fast travel to a city, but each time I tried, I died. That's just the start of it.

How so? Did you die by monsters or just out of nowhere?

Anyway, it's actually kind of funny how many glitches there are in Daggerfall. In short, even the tutorial is bugged as it stops working after messages 8 or 9.

miak757 said:
De-Ting said:

I die during fast travel. I take the safest possible route and tell it to go, but after it loads, I drop dead. I even tried traveling to a very, very close village, and I still died.

De-Ting said:
miak757 said:
De-Ting said:

I die during fast travel. I take the safest possible route and tell it to go, but after it loads, I drop dead. I even tried traveling to a very, very close village, and I still died.
It's possible you got diseased by rats. Remaking your character and starting over again might help.

De-Ting said:
Does it help that I've tried with two different characters, and haven't contracted a disease?

Yes.

Well, I guess it's just a glitch (One that you might need to actually reinstall to fix) then. Wouldn't be surprising given the game.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod