-The Evil Within 2: 8.5 / 10
-Tales from the Borderlands: 8.5 / 10
-Monster Hunter: World (main story): 8.5 / 10
-Secret of Mana (remake): 6 / 10
-My Life is Strange: Before the Storm: 8 / 10
-Bloodborne: 9 / 10
-Far Cry 5: 8.5 / 10
-God of War: 9.5 / 10

I just finished the main story campaign for God of War. Even though we're only just about to enter May, I'd dare say that we have a strong contender for Game of the Year already. So uh, here's my quick but TL;DR review behind it:

I absolutely loved this game. I've said this before but I've never been a real fan of the franchise until now. The developer's made a smart decision by completely rebuilding the game play and style of story telling.

The story was awesome. I really enjoyed the growth we see between Kratos and his son Atreus. I actually cared about them, where is in previous God of War games, Kratos was just on a murderous warpath fueled by rage and vengeance, which is entertaining in its own right but it must get old after three or more games running like that. What I like is that you don't necessarily have to play the previous games to fully understand and appreciate this game's plot but honestly, if you have (which I haven't), then it'll probably be a better experience. Personally, I just watched some God of War recap videos on YouTube. The Norse mythology though is very interesting and a welcoming change.

The overall game is not exactly "open world" game per say, but it's at the very least an expansive, non-linear environment that allows the player to tackle side quests and explore for treasure, materials etc. In a "Metroidvania" manner, you will be doing a lot of backtracking, returning to areas you've previously visited with different abilities to open new locations, solving environment-based puzzles etc.

The graphics of the game are bloody beautiful. Unfortunately, I don't have a PS4 Pro or/and a 4K TV, so I couldn't experience the game in 4K or a smoother frame rate, but it's probably the best looking PS4 game to date. Certainly rivals Uncharted 4: A Thief's End. I really dug the orchestrated soundtrack with the deep, ominous opera-style vocals, and the voice actors were all great, especially Christopher Judge, best known for his role as Teal'c in the old television series Stargate: SG-1.

The combat system is fun and challenging. It still retains that previous God of War feel with the brutality and violence, but feels different with the new game play, as Kratos can dodge roll, duck and weave, perform parries with a shield, bust out some cool combos, throw his axe like Thor throwing Mjolnir etc. Kratos' son Atreus joins alongside Kratos for most of the game and is not at all a burden, as he performs archery on Kratos' command and can stun enemies with melee attacks and bow choke holds. The game also features RPG-style mechanics, earning experience points to unlock new abilities and attacks, as well as finding a form of currency and resources to have new armor built for you, or current weapons/armor upgraded.

There's plenty to do. I'd estimate the game probably has somewhere between twenty to forty hours of game play, depending on how much you want to do. While I've finished the main story, I'm still playing in an attempt to finish off a few side quests.

It's a near-perfect game, but there's always going to be a flaw or two.

Unlike previous God of War games, Kratos runs around mostly with his new weapon, the Leviathan Axe, or punching stuff with his bare hands. I didn't mind too much as the skill tree consistently makes the Leviathan Axe feel "new" over the course of your adventure, but I imagine some players might be disappointed by the lack of weapon variety.

Sometimes, the difficulty would spike up tremendously. Enemies' difficulty would be represented by a coloured bar (their health) above their head, ranging from green, to yellow, orange and then purple. Early game, you can encounter purple enemies that can one shot you. It is possible to defeat them, but incredibly hard, so it's best to just come back when you're stronger in level. I found myself being a dick head (no surprise) trying to fight purple enemies, to absolutely no avail.

The crafting system conducted by the black smiths isn't very detailed, so I would hardly call it "crafting" at all, and I found that later in the game, if you want some of the best items, you're going to have to spend a lot of time grinding in challenging environments.

While I didn't experience any glitches at all (not sure if I was lucky, or if the game is that well polished) but I did experience a few frame rate drops, especially in hectic battles with many enemies on screen. I imagine this problem would be less of an issue on a PS4 Pro.

At first, the game's camera seemed annoying in combat, but I'm fairly certain this has been addressed in a recent patch (there have been a lot of patches for this game), because now the camera looks and feels better during combat.

Overall, it's an awesome game and a great experience. If you have a PS4 but you don't have God of War, you're missing out.

Last edited:
Completion in chronological order

-Titanfall 2 (PC) 8.5/10
-Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC) 9/10
-Battlefield 1 (PC) 9/10
-A Mortician's Tale (PC) 4/10
-Night in the Woods (PC) 7/10
-Quantum Break (PC) 7/10
-The Last Guardian (PS4) 8.5/10
-Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4) 8/10
-God of War (PS4) 10/10
-God of War (Vita) 9/10
-God of War III Remastered (PS4) 9.5/10
-God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP) 9/10

PS4:

I just finished the main story campaign for God of War. Even though we're only just about to enter May, I'd dare say that we have a strong contender for Game of the Year already. So uh, here's my quick but TL;DR review behind it:

I absolutely loved this game. I've said this before but I've never been a real fan of the franchise until now. The developer's made a smart decision by completely rebuilding the game play and style of story telling.

The story was awesome. I really enjoyed the growth we see between Kratos and his son Atreus. I actually cared about them, where is in previous God of War games, Kratos was just on a murderous warpath fueled by rage and vengeance, which is entertaining in its own right but it must get old after three or more games running like that. What I like is that you don't necessarily have to play the previous games to fully understand and appreciate this game's plot but honestly, if you have (which I haven't), then it'll probably be a better experience. Personally, I just watched some God of War recap videos on YouTube. The Norse mythology though is very interesting and a welcoming change.

The overall game is not exactly "open world" game per say, but it's at the very least an expansive, non-linear environment that allows the player to tackle side quests and explore for treasure, materials etc. In a "Metroidvania" manner, you will be doing a lot of backtracking, returning to areas you've previously visited with different abilities to open new locations, solving environment-based puzzles etc.

The graphics of the game are bloody beautiful. Unfortunately, I don't have a PS4 Pro or/and a 4K TV, so I couldn't experience the game in 4K or a smoother frame rate, but it's probably the best looking PS4 game to date. Certainly rivals Uncharted 4: A Thief's End. I really dug the orchestrated soundtrack with the deep, ominous opera-style vocals, and the voice actors were all great, especially Christopher Judge, best known for his role as Teal'c in the old television series Stargate: SG-1.

The combat system is fun and challenging. It still retains that previous God of War feel with the brutality and violence, but feels different with the new game play, as Kratos can dodge roll, duck and weave, perform parries with a shield, bust out some cool combos, throw his axe like Thor throwing Mjolnir etc. Kratos' son Atreus joins alongside Kratos for most of the game and is not at all a burden, as he performs archery on Kratos' command and can stun enemies with melee attacks and bow choke holds. The game also features RPG-style mechanics, earning experience points to unlock new abilities and attacks, as well as finding a form of currency and resources to have new armor built for you, or current weapons/armor upgraded.

There's plenty to do. I'd estimate the game probably has somewhere between twenty to forty hours of game play, depending on how much you want to do. While I've finished the main story, I'm still playing in an attempt to finish off a few side quests.

It's a near-perfect game, but there's always going to be a flaw or two.

Unlike previous God of War games, Kratos runs around mostly with his new weapon, the Leviathan Axe, or punching stuff with his bare hands. I didn't mind too much as the skill tree consistently makes the Leviathan Axe feel "new" over the course of your adventure, but I imagine some players might be disappointed by the lack of weapon variety.

Sometimes, the difficulty would spike up tremendously. Enemies' difficulty would be represented by a coloured bar (their health) above their head, ranging from green, to yellow, orange and then purple. Early game, you can encounter purple enemies that can one shot you. It is possible to defeat them, but incredibly hard, so it's best to just come back when you're stronger in level. I found myself being a dick head (no surprise) trying to fight purple enemies, to absolutely no avail.

The crafting system conducted by the black smiths isn't very detailed, so I would hardly call it "crafting" at all, and I found that later in the game, if you want some of the best items, you're going to have to spend a lot of time grinding in challenging environments.

While I didn't experience any glitches at all (not sure if I was lucky, or if the game is that well polished) but I did experience a few frame rate drops, especially in hectic battles with many enemies on screen. I imagine this problem would be less of an issue on a PS4 Pro.

At first, the game's camera seemed annoying in combat, but I'm fairly certain this has been addressed in a recent patch (there have been a lot of patches for this game), because now the camera looks and feels better during combat.

Overall, it's an awesome game and a great experience. If you have a PS4 but you don't have God of War, you're missing out.

You really appreciate the growth of Kratos and the little story tidbits if you played all the previous games. I'm a HUGE God of War fan and every time a little piece of previous games leaked through a smile grew on my face. This was one of the most exciting games I have EVER played and the game is literal perfection. Not only did they reinvent God of War, but the action/adventure genre itself. It's only one of two games I've EVER given a 10/10. The other was the first Gears of War.

PS4:

-Batman: Arkham Knight: 8.5 / 10

I recently played and finished Batman: Arkham Knight, for the second time since its release back in 2015, finishing the main story (not including the Knightfall Protocol).

Previously, I think I gave it a higher score of 9 or 9.5 out of 10. Despite enjoying the game, it was actually one of most disappointing game for me back in 2015, maybe even the most for me?

Story-wise, it's the weakest of the Arkham series for console/PC (not including that Blackgate game for PS Vita/3Ds). Game play is probably the best and most fun, but the Batmobile really does suck.

I'm dropping my score to an 8.5 because it's still an enjoyable game with a decent story (despite being the weakest of the trilogy), and some good moments, but the controls do feel somewhat dated and there is occasional frustration.

In combat, it's easy to accidentally get stuck behind objects in the environment and as a result, you either get hit by an enemy, or you lose your combo focus... and even though I've said it before already, the Batmobile really does suck, especially how so many of the game's boss fights involve the Batmobile.

Despite how polished Arkham Knight looks and the amount of content in the game (side quests and such), it actually feels like a rushed product (especially the PC version). Most of the DLC sucks as well.

Ranking the Arkham games in game play, I'd probably say...

Arkham Knight > Arkham City > Arkham Origins > Arkham Asylum

Story on the other hand,

Asylum > City > Origins > Knight.

Edit: I cleaned up all of the side missions, with the exception of the Riddler (can't be bothered). I almost forgot how easy the final, Batman versus Deathstroke (in Batmobile versus huge tank fashion) was. Despite the size and power of Deathstroke's tank, it's so slow, and can receive damage from every angle... so you can honestly just do donuts around him whilst obliterating him with your cannon.

Last edited:
PS4:

-The Last of Us: Remastered: 9 / 10

Been replaying some old games lately and I just finished (for the forth time) The Last of Us: Remastered. Still one of my favourite games.

I love the dynamic, evolving relationship between Joel and Ellie, which essentially spearheads the entire plot. I reckon the story is great, not so much the concept of the story, but the performances of the characters as well as their writing, it really helps to sell the overall experience.

I decided to play a little differently, this time around. When it came to fighting human-enemies, if they were the military soldiers, I would generally find ways to sneak around them and avoid deaths, but enemies like the "hunters", I would take down. I also tried to focus on leveling up skills like weapon sway as soon as possible, and that made a huge difference, especially when using the bow. I also discovered that some weapons did not need a head shot (like the bow when the enemy is unaware), so that made things a lot easier.

The stealth mechanics are awesome, but admittingly they can be severely abused, which is part of the fun, I suppose. An enemy is looking in your direction, you throw a glass bottle, they respond only to the noise it creates when landing and smashing, completely ignoring the bottle that was pretty much thrown across their face. I imagine that in the upcoming sequel, this will probably no longer be available.

The environments are quite linear, very A to B, but at the very least they are somewhat open and offer a few different opportunities to get around enemies, flank them etc. The game's environment is beautifully designed, so Naughty Dog do a pretty good job in masking the linearity.

The controls do feel a bit dated nowadays and at times, moving around as Joel can be sluggish, especially when the game doesn't want you going too far, too quick. I also found that, similar to Batman: Arkham Knight, I occasionally got stuck on objects in the environment, which lead to me receiving a shit tonne of incoming fire, or a clicker biting my face off.

Still a lot of fun to play, though. I enjoyed my latest re-run. Not sure what I'll play next, now.

Last edited:
PS4:

-The Last of Us: Left Behind (Remastered): 8 / 10

Since The Last of Us: Remastered for the PS4 comes included with the Left Behind story DLC, I decided to play it again.

It's more of the same thing, which is honestly not a bad thing. Playing as Ellie, the game swaps back and forth between Ellie's past (before she was bitten) and in the future/present story, shortly after the events of the third chapter. In Ellie's past, the game focuses more on story and exploration, while the future/present plot focuses on stealth and action.

It's a fun little package that offers some of the most challenging scenarios in the Last of Us, such as when you have to fight a group of "hunters" (people who murder others and steal their stuff, basically) and infected (including clickers) at the same time, with ammunition and resources being even more scarce than usual. It's also trickier to play as Ellie than Joel, as she will be lacking Joel's pill-upgrades and Ellie can't properly stealth kill either, without creating noise and distraction.

The biggest issue with this DLC pack is its length. It's very short, you'll most likely complete it in one sitting, probably under two hours or so.

I realize I haven't been keeping this updated, so let me drop down two more on top of my last one.

Far Cry 5
9.5/10

I absolutely loved it. Like, not just the main game, which was decent (other than the WTF ending), but it was easily the best Far Cry game yet made. My biggest complaint with it when I played it at launch was the lack of weapons and such, but I think they've been continually adding stuff, so maybe it'll be worth playing through again.
It just did everything I love in a game, and I'm happy with that.

Dark Souls III
9/10

This is probably the best Dark Souls game all around, though I think the original or Demon's Souls is still my favorite.

After 114 hours, I've finally finished Persona 5. Hell of a game! At some point I will need to go back and replay it so I can max out all my confidants and collect all the personas, but for now I need a break from JRPGs, methinks.

PS4:

-Dying Light: 8 / 10

Continuing to play older games in my PS4 library, I rolled with Dying Light, released back in 2015.

Dying Light is certainly one of the most fun zombie games around. It's big, free roaming, a lot to see and do, has an RPG skill system, loads of weapons and heaps of zombies. The story is actually pretty good as well.

Where Dying Light sadly falls flat though, is that it unfortunately has some bugs (such as falling through the map and toward death, or water), the controls can get a bit funny at times (especially in hectic combat with zombies) and the beginning of the game is quite difficult. I also found that fighting non-zombie enemies (such as humans) was horrible, as these enemies attack faster than you, have the ability to block and once they see you, there's no way to flank them as they just always "auto-see" you. The stealth in this game isn't great but to be fair, it's not really a stealth game to begin with.

Still loads of fun, at least. I'll be tackling The Following DLC soon.

I completed chapters 2 and 3 of Telltale's Batman: The Enemy Within. I'm really enjoying this take on DC's prize property and the changes they've made to both Bruce/Batman and his Rogue's Gallery.

Super Metroid

Fun fact: this was my first time ever playing Super Metroid... ever!
And I loved it! Mostly. I feel like 9/10ths of the game was absolutely flawless, and the remaining 1/10th was trash (lookin' at you grappling hook).
It's no Symphony of the Night, which is nearly perfect all around, but it's still phenomenal.

9/10

PS4:

-Life is Strange: Before the Storm: 8 / 10
-Spider-Man: 9.5 / 10

I finished the PS4 exclusive of Spider-Man last night, having the game for about two weeks now. Puns totally intended, it was amazing. I would dare say that this is a close contender for Game of the Year 2018, but with that in mind, Red Dead Redemption 2 is right around the corner, so we'll see. Here's my spoiler free review.

Spider-Man feels similar to the PS2/X-Box/Game Cube version of Spider-Man 2, which despite being a movie licensed game, was one of the best games I've ever played at the time and was certainly the best Spider-Man game I've ever played. While it feels similar to the 2004 title, the new 2018 Spider-Man improves upon well, almost everything.

Graphically, the game is absolutely beautiful. Open-world Manhattan, New York City looks so damn good, and so does Spidey as he swings through the joint. The controls of web swinging feels so natural and while fast travel is an option, you'll barely ever want to do it. The music is great, the voice acting and writing is also great, I really enjoyed the overall story and how the characters, heroes and villains all blend in.

I found combat to be really fun, as well. It plays similar to the Batman: Arkham games, but with a few major differences. The difficulty though sometimes felt a bit "spikey", especially late-game when you encounter loads of enemies at once. I loved the boss battles, they all felt unique and fun, but some of them (particularly late-game) felt a little easy.

The side missions are pretty cool, but some of the randomly generated "crimes" that pop up can honestly get a bit repetitive. There are some stealth segments of the game where you don't play as Spider-Man / Peter Parker (no spoiler, but there are two additional characters you play as sometimes who have no powers, they're just normal people) and these segments have a mix of frustration and ease.

My complaints to the game are minor. All up, I really enjoyed the story and I had so much fun playing this game. For PS4 owners, I reckon this is a must-have, or at least a must-play.

I picked up a copy of Shadow of the Tomb Raider for PS4 at a cheap, launch price, so that'll be my next game to play.

Last edited:
Forums seem a lot quieter nowadays, huh? :/ Anyway...

PS4:

-Life is Strange: Before the Storm: 8 / 10
-Spider-Man: 9.5 / 10
-Shadow of the Tomb Raider: 7.5 / 10

I finished the third installment of the rebooted Tomb Raider trilogy, Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

It was okay. I say "okay" because I enjoyed it a lot more than its predecessor, Rise of the Tomb Raider, which honestly felt like a chore to play.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider has fun moments in it. I especially enjoyed the stealth segments that are inspired by a mix of Predator and Rambo, those were a lot of fun. The game play itself is quite linear, as to every area Lara goes to is essentially A to B, there's no multiple paths or options to reach an objective. There is a bit of exploration but it's optional only, to acquire new materials and parts to upgrade weapons, make new clothes etc.

The story is quite ho-hum and uninteresting. While Lara Croft does develop as a character, I found her unlikeable, which is a shame because I thought she was really cool in the original 2013 reboot of Tomb Raider.

The graphics are a mix of awesome, to "ugh, what is that?". Lara looks great and is realistically animated, as is her environment, but fellow NPCs don't look too crash hot at all, and there's a severe amount of cut and paste where so many NPCs look exactly the same.

So you know, it's alright, but I think all the Tomb Raider fanatics out there are raving hardcore about something that's actually pretty overrated. Now that I'm done with Shadow of the Tomb Raider, I feel absolutely no inclination to play it again, so I'll most likely trade it in to get Red Dead Redemption 2.

Speaking of "inclination to play again", I'm playing Spider-Man now.

I admire your continued dedication....I can never seem to play one game for more than a few days at a time anymore.

That's probably a good thing!

I look back at my completed video games list and while a bit of me is proud, a bit of me is also kinda disgusted, thinking "Oh my God, you play way too many games" and honestly, I think I do. :/

This week I've seriously done nothing but play my PS4. I hurt my knee pretty badly last week (not good) and I got some bad news about my job, so... coping mechanism is video games.

Anyway. Most games I buy nowadays, I usually stick to it and play it from start to finish. Sometimes though, if I reckon a game sucks way too hard or if it's just frustrating to play, I'll probably take it back early, but I try to see games through. When I buy games, I try to buy them at launch, because where I live, games that are released on launch day are often sold at hugely discounted prices for one day only, then the next day, the price will return to standard pricing.

I'm also trying to play one game at a time... so while I had Shadow of the Tomb Raider since launch, I refused to play it until I was done with Spider-Man.

I finally finished God of War. What an excellent game! Nice amount of side content to mess around with, which I had almost completed before finishing the story. It was nice seeing Kratos as something other than a rage fueled murder monster. Watching him interact with his son who he apparently barely knew was great, and even more seeing him try to rein in his son's temper considering how he acted in the previous games of the series.

Had a set up for a sequel and there were still some realms sealed off by Odin, so I expect we'll be spending more time with Kratos and Atreus in the future.

I finally finished God of War. What an excellent game! Nice amount of side content to mess around with, which I had almost completed before finishing the story. It was nice seeing Kratos as something other than a rage fueled murder monster. Watching him interact with his son who he apparently barely knew was great, and even more seeing him try to rein in his son's temper considering how he acted in the previous games of the series.

Had a set up for a sequel and there were still some realms sealed off by Odin, so I expect we'll be spending more time with Kratos and Atreus in the future.

Noice.

I thought the developers were going to try and set up some story-based DLC down the track or whatever (because of the sealed off realms you mentioned), but apparently, the developers claim they don't want to do any DLC for the game and would rather work on a sequel.

On one hand, I'm kinda disappointed, because that means I can't storm Asgard with my Kratos / Atreus with all of their abilities and equipment, but on the other hand, a sequel to this particular God of War would probably be amazing. It's certainly one of the best games this year.

It's an obvious prediction, but I think God of War will be up for Game of the Year this year. It will honestly probably be beaten by Red Dead Redemption 2, but we'll see!

Can't believe I pulled this off, but I scored all trophies (and the platinum trophy) for Spider-Man on the PS4.

Been a VERY long time since I've ever done 100% on a game.

It's been a few months boys! Finally, I am near the end of nursing school and things are winding down so I have more free time to finish some games. Haven't had this much time for gaming in years.

Completion in chronological order

-Titanfall 2 (PC) 8.5/10
-Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC) 9/10
-Battlefield 1 (PC) 9/10
-A Mortician's Tale (PC) 4/10
-Night in the Woods (PC) 7/10
-Quantum Break (PC) 7/10
-The Last Guardian (PS4) 8.5/10
-Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4) 8/10
-God of War (PS4) 10/10
-God of War (Vita) 9/10
-God of War III Remastered (PS4) 9.5/10