2017 Completed Games List

Discussion in 'General Gaming Topics' started by Green_Lantern, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Active Member

Completely agree.

Superhot was so much fun and was an incredibly unique experience. I hated the "story" behind it and honestly, it would have been a much better game if it was just the challenge mode from the get go.

2. used44

used44 Active Member

Song of the Deep. A fun underwater Metroidvania. A few little bugs, but a really pretty, interesting game with Great music and pleasant narration.

Recommended!

3. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

That was actually in the Humble Freedom Bundle I've been trying to work through, but didn't know about it.
    I'll play through it now!

4. used44

used44 Active Member

It's by Insomniac Games!

5. Master_Craig

PS4:

-Bioshock (Remastered) - 8.5 / 10
    -Bioshock 2 (Remastered) - 9 / 10
    -Bioshock: Infinite (Remastered) - 9 / 10
    -Bioshock: Infinite's DLC Burial At Sea: Episode 1 (Remastered) - 8.5 / 10
    -Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 9 / 10
    -Horizon Zero Dawn - 9.5 / 10
    -Injustice 2 - 8.5 / 10
    -Styx: Shards of Darkness - 6.5 / 10
    -Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 9 / 10

Nintendo Switch:

-The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 9.5 / 10

PC:

-Mark of the Ninja - 8.5 / 10
    -Superhot - 8 / 10
    -Fallout 2 - 9 / 10 (note: finished with cheats)

3Ds:

-Metroid: Samus Returns - 9 / 10

I finished Metroid: Samus Returns recently on the weekend. It's the first 3Ds game that I've played from start to finish in a long time. It took me about a week to finish, with about twelve hours of total play time.

I really enjoyed it. The game goes back to traditional Metroid formula, e.g. 2D side scrolling, non-linear exploration, little to no story or/and hand holding, finding new power ups and allowing access to new/previous areas etc.

The game is a remake of the original 1991 Metroid II: The Return of Samus for the classic Gameboy. I played the original when I was eight years old, twenty one years ago. Some areas and enemies are still in tact albeit updated and modified, while the game carries quite a few new mechanics, including melee strikes (for counter attacks) and new "aeon" abilities.

Metroid: Samus Returns is quite difficult. A lot of boss fights had me dying over and over, but like a most 2D games, it's just a matter of timing and understanding the enemy's movements and attack patterns.

Graphically, the game looks nice for a 3Ds title, but it has an absolutely kick arse sound track and overall sound design.

My biggest complaint of the game is... not so much the game itself, but the 3Ds. I found that if I played for a long duration of time, I would experience pain and soreness in my left hand and in particular, the thumb. Unlike previous 3Ds games like Pokemon (which is a far more relaxing game), Metroid: Samus Returns requires reflexes and quick, physical response, so your thumb and hand can get sore when you're frantically trying to avoid enemy attacks, switching weapons/items on the fly in real time etc.

If you have a 3Ds and you're a fan of Metroid, I highly recommend that you pick this one up.

6. used44

used44 Active Member

Yeah, totally. I have the New 3DS XL and I still wish it were like twice as large so my bottom fingers wouldn't fall asleep/get all cramped from playing for a long time (doesn't even take that long to be uncomfortable).

Also, do you ever accidentally hit the power button with the bottom finger on your right hand? I've done it no less than three times in the few hours I've been playing Metroid and it sucks so bad. You can't cancel out of it! At least the game has saves often, so far.

7. Master_Craig

I also have a New 3Ds XL. I've never done the power button accident (man, that must suck when that happens) but I often find my left hand (especially thumb and index finger) become sore after continuous play.

I find using the spider ball (don't know if you have that, yet) is annoying, especially when using it for long periods... because you have to continuously hold L to use it, then use the analog stick to move left/right. I wish there was an option to change the spider ball function, so that you can just press L (like turning it on/off) instead of holding L.

I find my hand gets sore in particular boss fights, due to the reflexes and response need.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  8. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Cuphead

9/10

I beat it pretty quick, but don't think I'm going to go for the S+ rank on every boss on Expert mode.
    That said, it's pretty great. Challenging, but fun. I'll almost certainly play through it again in a year or so.

The only major downside is the Run & Gun segments, which are pretty boring.

9. Master_Craig

PS4:

-Bioshock (Remastered) - 8.5 / 10
    -Bioshock 2 (Remastered) - 9 / 10
    -Bioshock: Infinite (Remastered) - 9 / 10
    -Bioshock: Infinite's DLC Burial At Sea: Episode 1 (Remastered) - 8.5 / 10
    -Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 9 / 10
    -Horizon Zero Dawn - 9.5 / 10
    -Injustice 2 - 8.5 / 10
    -Styx: Shards of Darkness - 6.5 / 10
    -Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 9 / 10

Nintendo Switch:

-The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 9.5 / 10

PC:

-Mark of the Ninja - 8.5 / 10
    -Superhot - 8 / 10
    -Fallout 2 - 9 / 10 (note: finished with cheats)

3Ds:

-Metroid: Samus Returns - 9 / 10
    -Metroid: Fusion (3Ds Virtual Console, Game Boy Advanced) - 8 / 10

Downloaded Metroid: Fusion (GBA Virtual Console). It's still a good title, but holy crap, I forgot how short this game is. Beat it in just over three hours.

Still holds up fairly well today. Gotta use the D-Pad instead of the analog stick, though.